Why did the Vatican name their telescope Lucifer in Ariz?

jericho

First of all...this story is a half-decade old. The telescope construction began in 2010. But anyway, the name is an acronym, intended to be tongue in cheek: “Large Binocular telescope near-infrared Utility with Camera and Integral Field unit for Extragalactic Research.”

....glad folks are still trying to find things to nail the Catholic Church on. If they weren't, I don't know what I could depend on in this world anymore.

Let's back up even more. The Vatican doesn't own the Lucifer Telescope. Both the Vatican Observatory's telescope and a couple others owned by the University of Arizona are on Mt. Graham. The VO leases land from the university. The Large Binocular telescope is owned by the university, not the Vatican. The Vatican Observatory's facility is down the street.

I assume they thought it would be funny.

I'd like to suggest we all stop getting our news from blogs written by paranoids.

Let's try the organization's website:

Mount Graham International Observatory | An Astrophysical Research Site

By the way, I didn't know any of this information. It took less than three minutes of using Google.

Edited by Getslow

Let's back up even more. The Vatican doesn't own the Lucifer Telescope. Both the Vatican Observatory's telescope and a couple others owned by the University of Arizona are on Mt. Graham. The VO leases land from the university. The Large Binocular telescope is owned by the university, not the Vatican. The Vatican Observatory's facility is down the street.

I assume they thought it would be funny.

I'd like to suggest we all stop getting our news from blogs written by paranoids.

Let's try the organization's website:

Mount Graham International Observatory | An Astrophysical Research Site

By the way, I didn't know any of this information. It took less than three minutes of using Google.

And now. Know the rest of the story.

How else are we supposed to connect the dots, man? Only the blindest sheep don't know the Catholic Church is a satanic organization ran by an alien cult who occasionally leave signs of their intentions as a way to mock their subjects, like naming a "telescope" - which is actually a communication device for their home planet - "Lucifer." If it weren't for enterprising internet sleuths we might think it was merely a clever name.