My father took his own life...

afi100guy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for doing something productive with your pain. We can help others who experience similar hurt and sorrow and in this case, bring awareness to an illness that is so misunderstood. Perhaps someone will find the help they need because you brought it out into the open.

• 11 months later...
7 years ago today I received a call from my brother that I will never forget.

A reminder to try and help anyone who seems to be suffering from depression.

Prayers your way. Tough enough to lose a parent but to have it happen tragically would be even harder.

I wish I was better with words of comfort but maybe I'm just not as articulate as you typical guy. I want you to not sorrow yourself over how his life ended but to celebrate his life. The father that you knew - celebrate that - cherish those memories because those memories are your father.

No matter what had happened - he loved you!

Now you - yourself - you have to let your love light shine. Don't let something like this define who you are. Your father wouldn't want you to be that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

9 years ago today, my life changed. Things are different now but I miss my Dad more than ever. Love you pops!!

In these times, be mindful of the emotions of your friend and loved ones. I still think that if I would have made one more call or visit, he might still be with us today.

April 5 2007 for me. My youngest brother was in the Navy and hanging out with his girlfriend. They were having some drinks and at some point got in an argument and she left. His depression hit rock bottom and he ended his life.

I was recording a podcast that next morning and had my phone off. When I was done I had 7 missed calls and 10 texts from my middle brother. Life changed in that instant. I was less than 5 minutes from home and couldn't even start the car to drive the mile and a half. I sat there for an hour plus and just cried trying to make sense of it.

Thinking of you afi. It's never easy, though there's really no choice but to honor their memory as you push forward.

My daughter's biological mother took her life 25 years ago on the 12th of this month. She had depression as well, but turned away any help in favor of self medicating. My daughter is the one who found her.

April 12th is never a fun day, though my anger and my daughter's sadness over the event has lessened through the years. So the hurt does get better.

You are in my thoughts and prayers today.

This year marked 28 years. I called my daughter and we reminisced. Her mom was 39 when she took her life. My daughter turns 45 this year. Her mom would be 67, now. Neither one of us could picture it.