Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Powell County 37 Buckhorn 0

Featured Replies

Good God almighty!!!!!!!!!

 

We could have done the same to Newport tonight, but at least we should a little mercy...and sportsmanship.

Get 'em a body bag! Yeah!!!

 

I have no respect for teams who blow out helpless teams. Sorry Powell County, but there's no excuse.

 

I coach youth soccer and my team is good. Really good. We could win some games 15-1 if we wanted to but I just won't do that. I don't believe in it. I would rather lose tiebreakers in the standings than embarrass other kids. I intentionally play kids out of position and all sorts of tactics to insure that I don't have an embarrassing result like this. To each his own, but that's not how I roll.

 

body bag.jpg

Terrible. Have the decency to step off base once you get to the run rule limit. And if this isn't a required district game - don't schedule it to begin with.

I was talking to our softball coach this morning and she said there were teams they could beat unmercifully but she won't do it. She said she had instructed girls to strike out on purpose or step off the base and get tagged out. There's ways to avoid humiliating weaker teams.

Terrible. Have the decency to step off base once you get to the run rule limit. And if this isn't a required district game - don't schedule it to begin with.

 

happens more than you think. My first year coaching, our JV team was basically a Middle School team of kids who had never played. We were facing an established, experienced team and getting pounded early on. The umpire ASKED the coach to have a player step off the base (I heard it myself), and the coach refused. Classy.

 

Never played them again.

I was talking to our softball coach this morning and she said there were teams they could beat unmercifully but she won't do it. She said she had instructed girls to strike out on purpose or step off the base and get tagged out. There's ways to avoid humiliating weaker teams.

 

In my opinion that making a Mockery of the game. Play younger girls that are just getting into the game or something but Striking out on purpose? That sounds like something we would do in our Men's open league. Swing at a 3-0 pitch and miss on purpose to get an extra pitch hoping for a Strike.....

Wouldn't ask a girl to strike out. But stepping off is common and has to be done in situations like this. It's done in college too.

On two separate occasions I told the base umpire to call girls out for leaving early.......on the way back to tugout had to explain to the team and PARENTS what was going on. Parents were going crazy before I explained things. LOL

On two separate occasions I told the base umpire to call girls out for leaving early.......on the way back to tugout had to explain to the team and PARENTS what was going on. Parents were going crazy before I explained things. LOL

 

Sometimes Parents don't understand and want to see their kid do well (especially if they are the one asked to step off), but I think most parents would agree that they don't want to embarrass other kids and the team when it's obvious it's a mismatch.

In a game like this strike zones get big and the space between the foot and the base gets larger....trust me, no one, hates this more than umpires. Having that face to face with the head coach during one of these games goes a long way to getting it over, hopefully.

 

I'm willing to bet there are umpires in that region that no longer give the benefit of the doubt to Powell County.....coaches hurt themselves at times. Good luck to Powell moving on....hope they run into a buzz saw soon, but I'm guessing they really don't travel to play good teams. #glorydaze

They play Buckhorn last game of the regular season too. C'mon. I suppose they are looking for a good battle to get them ready for districts!

Buckhorn got beat tonight by Leslie County 25-0.

I was behind the plate years ago and the coach of the winning team was out of town at a school related conference and an old fraternity brother of mine who was usually the score keeper was acting coach and coaching third. He didn't understand the idea of taking it easy when up 20+ runs, so when a foul ball went down the third base line I had a quick talk with him and followed it up when they finally went to the dugout. He was just caught up in first coaching experience. The head coach who wasn't there emailed me the next day and thanked me.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.