Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Attendance down for 1st round

Featured Replies

In reality Campbell Co winning the 10th was likely the best possible team for attendance. Holmes winning the 9th quite possibly was the worst team for attendance that could have won the 9th. Sorry that is just reality not picking on Holmes. I'm fairly certain Ryle or Highlands or just about any other team in the 9th would have drawn more. But kudos to those that did come support Holmes.

 

Next year could be different. Maybe a team from the 9th or 10th goes deeper than Friday. Maybe they both lose in the first round.

 

I'm a Holmes guy, and I agree with you completely. Not sure what happened to the Bulldog fan base the last 10 years. The small crowd Holmes had at the state is concerning for a lot of reasons. It's a 5 minute drive to the BB&T Arena from Covington and we had the smallest turnout of fans in the Sweet 16. You are right on, as much as it hurts to say.

  • Replies 76
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Holmes guy, and I agree with you completely. Not sure what happened to the Bulldog fan base the last 10 years. The small crowd Holmes had at the state is concerning for a lot of reasons. It's a 5 minute drive to the BB&T Arena from Covington and we had the smallest turnout of fans in the Sweet 16. You are right on, as much as it hurts to say.

 

Sadly I think it is an economic factor. I think the desire is there to support but the reality does not allow it. And it is not due to high parking or admission or concession prices. I once observed a JV football game at Holmes that maybe had 10 Holmes fans in attendance to maybe 150 for the visiting team at kickoff and the admission was $3 or $4. But after halftime when the admission was no longer being charged the Holmes crowd swelled to probably close to 100 who proudly cheered on their team.

Sadly I think it is an economic factor. I think the desire is there to support but the reality does not allow it. And it is not due to high parking or admission or concession prices. I once observed a JV football game at Holmes that maybe had 10 Holmes fans in attendance to maybe 150 for the visiting team at kickoff and the admission was $3 or $4. But after halftime when the admission was no longer being charged the Holmes crowd swelled to probably close to 100 who proudly cheered on their team.

 

Good points on all. The football attendance is also down at varsity games for Holmes. Even the boys basketball home games draw next to nothing. Played CovCath at home this season and the gym was not even close to half full. That's why I knew when the girls won the region the crowd support would not be good at the BB&T arena.

Who ever paid to see Friday and Saturday's games.....got their monies worth, $6.50 a game is/was a bargain!

 

....and don't cry about $5.00 parking.....you can park for FREE (like I had to) next to the soccer field and walk 60 seconds to the Arena.

 

After all the "goodies" I've eaten this tourney......I need the exercise. :lol2:

  • Author

What was attendance for Championship game?

What was attendance for Championship game?

 

With UK playing Texas A&M, I had to skip the Sweet 16 today. They should have played the game tonight when all the NCAA selection stuff was over.

With UK playing Texas A&M, I had to skip the Sweet 16 today. They should have played the game tonight when all the NCAA selection stuff was over.

 

Would have taken some pre-planning. Whoops that went out the window with no marketing, no programs, and jumbling sessions. Ready! Fire! Aim!

What was attendance for Championship game?

 

About 3700.

Would have taken some pre-planning. Whoops that went out the window with no marketing, no programs, and jumbling sessions. Ready! Fire! Aim!

 

Have to agree. The SEC Tournament schedule was available last spring. Why the KHSAA people did not look ahead and plan as if UK would be playing today is beyond me. The KHSAA needs a promotions/PR consultant in the worst way to look at what could affect their events. Maybe they learn from this year.

Would have taken some pre-planning. Whoops that went out the window with no marketing, no programs, and jumbling sessions. Ready! Fire! Aim!

 

I think most of the mistakes were acts of omission rather than commission, so that means everything is very correctable for next year if the KHSAA takes the steps to do it.

Unfortunately, the black eye is probably experienced more by NKU and NKy than by the KHSAA.

Have to agree. The SEC Tournament schedule was available last spring. Why the KHSAA people did not look ahead and plan as if UK would be playing today is beyond me. The KHSAA needs a promotions/PR consultant in the worst way to look at what could affect their events. Maybe they learn from this year.

 

Does the same hold true for the boys Sweet 16 since it will be played during the opening weekend of the NCAA Tourney??

With UK playing Texas A&M, I had to skip the Sweet 16 today. They should have played the game tonight when all the NCAA selection stuff was over.

 

When you consider one or both teams in the finals could be traveling 3 or 4 hours to get home it doesn't make sense for them to play at night.

 

BTW, who cares about UK basketball.

Maybe the comparisons should be made vs WKU's first few years of hosting instead of their last few years. I'm sure WKU, Bowling Green and the KHSAA got better at their respective roles as the years went by. I thought the show this week was good and it will likely get better. As for attendance, I can't comment on what it will take to get people in the seats.

Why is attendance an issue? are they going to cancel the State Championship if no one goes? I don't get it. How many spectators go to the Golf State Championship? The Cross Country State Championship? They're still going to have it no matter who is or isn't there.

 

Where does this feeling of we have to fill the arena up because it's in our backyard come from? Or xxxxx school did their part by bringing in xxxxx fans. Did their part in what? It's a high school sporting event. Attendance ranges from suggested to mandatory for friends and family, to optional for everyone else.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.