Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Antivirus, what do you use?

Featured Replies

I've ran my share of free antivirus programs for years and years, most are good, but lack some features that the premium versions have. On the other hand, some of the premium versions are resource hog's. So what do you all use, free, premium, any particular antivirus program you prefer over others?

 

My main reason for asking is because I have always had good luck in the past with free programs like AVG, TrendMicro, and recently tried Avast. But I decided to give a premium version a try to add some features and consolidate some applications into one, so I tried Avast Premier. I wasn't impressed at all, it was a complete resource hot and the firewall caused problems with a program that I use on a regular basis. No matter what I did, other than turning the firewall off all together, worked in terms of getting that program to function.

 

I decided to give BitDefender Total Security a try and so far I'm loving it. No more problems with the firewall and you can barely tell it's running, even when doing an full system scan. But while it gets great reviews, it does get some terrible reviews for customer support/billing. So it makes me wonder if there truly is a great antivirus program. What say you?

I don't use any :thumb:

  • Author
I don't use any :thumb:

 

It's a good thing your not a UL recruit.. I kid, I kid.

  • Author
AVG here.

 

 

Are you using the free version of AVG or a premium version? I ran AVG free for years and always liked it, but I've never tried the premium version.

Mcafee. As cheap as my computer is, it can be replaced at nominal cost.

I've been in the IT field for 14 years and I personally think the two biggest wastes of money are antivirus software and support contracts on certain equipment or software.

  • Author
I've been in the IT field for 14 years and I personally think the two biggest wastes of money are antivirus software and support contracts on certain equipment or software.

 

Not that I disagree, but what has caused you to come to that conclusion? I can certainly see the support side of things, but it seems like antivirus is pretty important these days.

 

I've seen computers that are rarely used, but rarely usable due to being infected with tons of malware and some viruses. Once it's on there it's a real pain to get rid of if the proper protection wasn't there to begin with.

Are you using the free version of AVG or a premium version? I ran AVG free for years and always liked it, but I've never tried the premium version.

 

Free version

@swamprat is the man to answer this one.

 

Like Wireman, I don't use any AVS monitoring software other than Microsoft Essentials, which is built into Defender on Windows 10. All will slow your system down, AVG and Norton being the worst. Avast free edition is not much better than a virus itself.

 

I do, however, run free versions of Malware Bytes, CCleaner, and Cleanup regularly. Mrs. S, who hangs out on Facebook, starts Malwarebytes every night before going to bed. She also knows not to click on just anything and what to do when she gets unusual popups.

 

If you must use an anti-virus program, I'd use ESET. It's one of the primary tools I use to clean infected computers.

  • Author

Thanks, I have windows 10pro so I do have defender. Given Microsofts vulnerabilities in the past I assumed it would be wise to have a 3rd party antivirus installed instead of relying on defender. I'm pretty careful with what I view and I do have malwarebytes and ccleaner installed. I guess my limited trust with windows security and the added features of some of the premium antivirus security had me thinking that was the way to go.

 

So I guess the consensus is that windows defender, malwarebytes and ccleaner is all that is needed? The main reason I like BitDefender is because it includes all of that in one package and I don't even notice it running, even when doing a full system scan. It also picked up on a new google chrome update and 3 critical windows updates tonight that neither windows or google picked up on, on their own. I certainly don't want to spend money on something I don't need though.

I've used Webroot the past couple of years after having longtime issues with McAfee. I like Webroot much better than it that's for sure. I might look into what Swamprat recommended though. I'm just a little leery though of that. I might just save a restore point and backup all my files and give it a shot through.

Never used antivirus and never will. As stated above they are hogs and intrusive. Never ever ever ever would I recommend anyone to purchase anti-virus. The free version of AVG or the like are fine for the average consumer.

 

I even have major issues with MS Essentials as some are using. the first thing I do for any clients computer is uninstall Essentials and Turn off Windows Firewall. The only exception being a VMWare View environment which requires, for God knows what reason, it be running.

  • Author

When this BitDefender trial period ends and I go away from virus protection don't be surprised when I come calling you guys for help the first time my pc gets sick haha.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.