Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

State Comparison of Classes

Featured Replies

I keep hearing those against the 6 class system say that dividing Kentucky into 6 classes is too many. There won't be enough schools in each class. The only state comparisons I have seen are Ohio, Tn, Texas, etc..

 

I thought I'd take a look at other states that are SMALLER than Kentucky who ranks 26th in population according to the 2000 census. I just took these at random, but I think if you researched every single state below Ky, you'd find ONLY four that have 4 classes or less.

 

32nd Largest State - Kansas

Has 6 classes - which all have 33 or less schools

 

39th Idaho

Has 6 classes - with 25 in the largest class and only 25 each in the other 5 classes.

 

50th Wyomning - the smallest state in the Union based on population

Has 5 classes with 11-12 in each class

 

All the states base their classes on school enrollment.

 

 

So as I see it, Kentucky has MORE teams than smaller states in each class. Detractors will try to explain this away, but the facts are the facts - a Kentucky 6 class system is justified based on what other states are doing.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how good is the football in those states? How good is the football in states where you have to earn a state championship? In WY, it's a joke. Before the season starts, if all teams are equal (which they aren't), you have a 9% chance of winning a championship. What's the point in that? Woo-hoo, our team is better than 10 others! Someone get my ring!

So facts are dismissed because you don't like them either. Interesting. ;)

Texas has 5 classes with about a zillion schools in each class.

a Kentucky 6 class system is justified based on what other states are doing.

 

If your friends jumped off a bridge... :D

So facts are dismissed because you don't like them either. Interesting. ;)

 

 

I actually think BBW has a good point. While Truth published some facts, those facts may be misleading. There's a whole lot more to the equation than just state population. Ky is somewhat unusual I would think with its composition of schools (rural county public schools, independent public urban schools, urban county public schools, and private schools both extremely large and extremely small) and the extremely large number of high schools. there may be only 4 states smaller than Ky that have four classes or less, but what would be more indicative is knowing how many states with 221 high schools playing football have 4 classes or less. That would tell me something. I'd also be interested in knowing what the size range difference is in the states that have good high school football with 4 classes or less since this whole drive to add more classes was caused by the large difference in size in the existing 4A and 1A classes. And BBW's points about winning a class with only 10 other teams and the quality of high school football in the referenced states are valid ones, don't you think?

I keep hearing those against the 6 class system say that dividing Kentucky into 6 classes is too many. There won't be enough schools in each class. The only state comparisons I have seen are Ohio, Tn, Texas, etc..

 

I thought I'd take a look at other states that are SMALLER than Kentucky who ranks 26th in population according to the 2000 census. I just took these at random, but I think if you researched every single state below Ky, you'd find ONLY four that have 4 classes or less.

 

32nd Largest State - Kansas

Has 6 classes - which all have 33 or less schools

 

39th Idaho

Has 6 classes - with 25 in the largest class and only 25 each in the other 5 classes.

 

50th Wyomning - the smallest state in the Union based on population

Has 5 classes with 11-12 in each class

 

All the states base their classes on school enrollment.

 

 

So as I see it, Kentucky has MORE teams than smaller states in each class. Detractors will try to explain this away, but the facts are the facts - a Kentucky 6 class system is justified based on what other states are doing.

 

I would like to think that we are way better in football than those three staes, I would like to put us in about the #10 spot nationally.

 

1 - Florida

2 - Texas

3 - California

4 - Ohio

5 - Georgia

6 - Alabama

7 - Pennsylvania

8 - Mississippi

 

 

9-15 - Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, New York, Tennessee, Missouri

Well I guess things could be worse, we could all be from Wyoming!

 

The stats can be used anyway one wants

Pro supporters can make a case from some of them as can non supporters

 

It seems that we all see what we want to see

If your friends jumped off a bridge... :D

That was one of the arguments the private side used in the Prop 20 debates. Other states didn't divide. In fact, we just had a thread on WVa defeating the split and a private school supporter saying those mountain folks sure were smart.

I would like to think that we are way better in football than those three staes, I would like to put us in about the #10 spot nationally.

 

1 - Florida

2 - Texas

3 - California

4 - Ohio

5 - Georgia

6 - Alabama

7 - Pennsylvania

8 - Mississippi

 

 

9-15 - Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, New York, Tennessee, Missouri

 

If we rank #26th in population and we can make a case for a #10 spot then we should be really proud of the job we have been doing. I hate to say it but I cant see us comming in that high, to many more populas states. But I hope your right

I would like to think that we are way better in football than those three staes, I would like to put us in about the #10 spot nationally.

 

1 - Florida

2 - Texas

3 - California

4 - Ohio

5 - Georgia

6 - Alabama

7 - Pennsylvania

8 - Mississippi

 

 

9-15 - Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, New York, Tennessee, Missouri

If Kentucky is #10 nationally in football, then the level of football nationwide has dropped off significantly. I would guess Kentucky is closer to the bottom 10 than they are to the top 10. Anywhere from 25-35 would be my guess.
Texas has 5 classes with about a zillion schools in each class.

 

 

Each Class has 2 division. Each Division with a State Champion. 10 State Champions. They are voting to goto 14 or 16 when they realign. :thumb:

That was one of the arguments the private side used in the Prop 20 debates. Other states didn't divide. In fact, we just had a thread on WVa defeating the split and a private school supporter saying those mountain folks sure were smart.

 

Luckily for WVA, they didn't jump too.

I would like to think that we are way better in football than those three staes, I would like to put us in about the #10 spot nationally.

 

1 - Florida

2 - Texas

3 - California

4 - Ohio

5 - Georgia

6 - Alabama

7 - Pennsylvania

8 - Mississippi

 

 

9-15 - Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, New York, Tennessee, Missouri

Louisiana, Oklahoma, Virginia??? Look at the number of D-Is per capita Louisiana puts out. I think it may be the highest in the nation.

 

We're probably 25-35.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.