Wilmington (OH) 57 Covington Catholic 55

hoops5

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our guy @PurplePride92 got to have a couple of new experiences tonight.

He had his first Skyline cheese coneys (we'll cut him some slack for eating them with a fork).

He also took in his first CCH game. His boy Baby J made the trip as well. Kudos to the parents of that kid. About as pleasant as they come.

I find myself doing this quite often. Any Tobasco used?

From the Wilmington (OH) News Journal:

Cumberland leads Hurricane over CovCath 57-55

COVINGTON – Jarron Cumberland had 36 points, including the last 2 with 3.2 seconds remaining, to lift Wilmington to a thrilling 57-55 win over Covington Catholic Friday night in a non-league game at the CC gym.

On Tuesday in the Bluegrass State, Cumberland was clearly a thoroughbred. He had 21 points in the second half. He finished with 7 rebounds, 3 blocked shots, 3 steals and 2 assists.

Cameron Stewart had 8 for Wilmington, who improves to 8-0 with the win.

Covington Catholic was led by Andy Flood who had 15 points. The Colonels are 6-3 on the year.

“It was great high school basketball,” WHS coach Michael Noszka said after the game.”We want to play people like this. Scott (Ruthsatz, the Cov Cath coach) has his kids play hard, they compete and at the same time they play with class.”

Covington Catholic ended Wilmington’s 14-game season-opening win streak last season with a 68-65 win at Fred Summers Court last January. In that game, Flood led Cov Cath with 19 points. Cole Vonhandorf chipped in with 16.

This time around, action on the floor was plenty physical in the first half, but officials whistled just 12 personal fouls. The teams combined for 7 free throw attempts in a half where the score was tied 7 times.

The Colonels did their best to make sure they had a hand, or body, on Cumberland at all times. Still, the senior bound for Cincinnati had 15 of the 23 WHS points in the opening half. Two of those points came on a thunderous dunk, the result of a steal and breakaway.

My thoughts on the Game:

1) One of the best atmosphere that I have been to in a while!

2) Someone beside Cumberland needs to step up! If he gets in foul trouble they are in trouble!

3) Wilmington travels very well

4) Cov. Cath is very young and could be scary in a few months. The three Sophomore played well for CCH !

5) Cole Missed a lot of shots for CCH

6) Wilmington Freshman and JV are horrible! CCH might have the best JV team in NKY

7) The officials messed up on three bad calls for Cov Cath! The worst I have seen them in a while!

8) The Colonel Crazies need to show up! This is a good team and need your support!