Podcasts

Bipsic

I'm not a regular podcast listener, but I'll go through phases of listening to them. I really enjoyed the "Bardstown" podcast about the unsolved murders around Bardstown/Nelson County.

Malcolm Gladwell's "Revisionist History" podcast is great, and S1E3 "The Big Man Can't Shoot" episode is particularly awesome.

There's a podcast site called "Stories" that are a continuing series of stories about the history of Appalachia (mostly Eastern KY, West Virginia, Western VA, Eastern TN, and Western NC). They're usually pretty short, about 15 minutes a piece or so. Some of them are a little on the ho-hum side of things, but I've liked a lot of them. They did a pretty interesting 3-part installment on Daniel Boone.

If your into the outdoors and fishing/hunting, Steven Rinella's MeatEater podcast is great, although the installments can be a little on the lengthy side at roundabout 2 hours a piece. He's got a really great show on Netflix as well.

I'm not a regular podcast listener, but I'll go through phases of listening to them. I really enjoyed the "Bardstown" podcast about the unsolved murders around Bardstown/Nelson County.

Malcolm Gladwell's "Revisionist History" podcast is great, and S1E3 "The Big Man Can't Shoot" episode is particularly awesome.

There's a podcast site called "Stories" that are a continuing series of stories about the history of Appalachia (mostly Eastern KY, West Virginia, Western VA, Eastern TN, and Western NC). They're usually pretty short, about 15 minutes a piece or so. Some of them are a little on the ho-hum side of things, but I've liked a lot of them. They did a pretty interesting 3-part installment on Daniel Boone.

If your into the outdoors and fishing/hunting, Steven Rinella's MeatEater podcast is great, although the installments can be a little on the lengthy side at roundabout 2 hours a piece. He's got a really great show on Netflix as well.

Bardstown was great. If you decide you want recommendations for a similar one, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
Wondery just released a new series yesterday called "The Dating Game Killer." I'm not familiar with the story, but it looks really interesting. Additionally, Wondery usually puts out quality stuff. Looking forward to the listen.

@True blue (and gold)

I know the story well. Rodney Alcala. Straight up evil. I’ll add the podcast to my list. Always willing to learn more!

For those who are true crime fans, Invisible Choir is another pretty solid one. Reminds me a lot of early Sword and Scale (I believe the host used to be a producer for S&S). I just finished up with the 18 available episodes and thought they were very well done. There were a handful of episodes involving children, which can be difficult to listen to, but I didn't feel like it was overly sensationalized. If somebody is interested in the podcast but doesn't want to hear those episodes, they do a good job of warning you about the content before they get in to the episode.

• 4 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, Randy Parker said:

This week's episodes of True Crime Garage focuses on the abduction of a Henderson County girl, Heather Teague.  Part 1 was released yesterday and Part 2 will be released today.  I've not heard of this story.

I was a student at WKU when she went missing. I don’t remember hearing of the story but that’s been a long time ago. 

4 minutes ago, True blue (and gold) said:

I just started listening to “Radio Rental.” It consists of people telling stories about weird things they’ve experienced. First two episodes have been very enjoyable. 

I've seen that in passing.  Going to check it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 11:28 AM, True blue (and gold) said:

I just started listening to “Radio Rental.” It consists of people telling stories about weird things they’ve experienced. First two episodes have been very enjoyable. 

Listened to the first one and I liked it.  Thanks for the recommendation.

You (and others) might want to check out a new one called "The Piketon Massacre" which focuses on the Rhoden Family murders in 2016.  We had a thread on here somewhere and we discussed the case quite a bit. 

Just one episode so far. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 12:10 AM, Randy Parker said:

Listened to the first one and I liked it.  Thanks for the recommendation.

You (and others) might want to check out a new one called "The Piketon Massacre" which focuses on the Rhoden Family murders in 2016.  We had a thread on here somewhere and we discussed the case quite a bit. 

Just one episode so far. 

This one is really good! Thanks for recommending it. 

• Like 1