August 17, 200620 yr Franklin was smooth in the 8th - he threw 10 pitches and I'd imagine he was feeling pretty good. He's getting in a groove, and I believe he had been relatively successful against Pujols & Rolen in the past. Why not leave him in? What happens if Narron puts Guardado (with a stiff forearm) in to face the meat of the order. He gets them out, and then what for the 10th? Playing on the road vs at home makes a huge difference in when to use your stud, and St. Lou had the advantage today. Franklin has been effective lately and I agree with your assesment on him. I never said "not" start him in the 9th, I asked why someone else like Bray or Cormier wasn't brought in when Franklin got in trouble. I never mentioned Guardado because of his stiff forearm. You're right about playing on the road and that is an advantage for St. Louis. However, the Reds had a rested bullpen to pitch today. Bray, Schoenweis (who hasn't seen action for the Reds yet) and Cormier.
August 17, 200620 yr Bray, Schoenweis (who hasn't seen action for the Reds yet) and Cormier. 3 lefties to face the best RH bat in the game and another very good RH bat behind him. The only logic I'll buy on Franklin is making Duncan face a lefty, but then it goes to Weathers or Coffey right after Duncan. I think you could pick a name out of a hat with our three righties and have a big ERA vs Pujols and Rolen in the 9th with the game on the line...
August 17, 200620 yr Franklin has given up 4 earned runs in 8 innings of work for the Reds. 3 of those runs were in his first appearance for the Reds...He has been getting into a groove.
August 17, 200620 yr Franklin has given up 4 earned runs in 8 innings of work for the Reds. 3 of those runs were in his first appearance for the Reds...He has been getting into a groove. :thumb: We got beat by three tough outs. We had the same chance to do some damage in the top of 9 with the heart of our order, and failed. Tough loss, but we get lucky that it still only counts as one game. Let's hope the Drubs continue to own the Cards in Wrigley over the weekend...
August 17, 200620 yr 3 lefties to face the best RH bat in the game and another very good RH bat behind him. The only logic I'll buy on Franklin is making Duncan face a lefty, but then it goes to Weathers or Coffey right after Duncan. I think you could pick a name out of a hat with our three righties and have a big ERA vs Pujols and Rolen in the 9th with the game on the line... Cormier = vs. Left: .279 vs. Right: .221.
August 17, 200620 yr :thumb: We got beat by three tough outs. We had the same chance to do some damage in the top of 9 with the heart of our order, and failed. Tough loss, but we get lucky that it still only counts as one game. Let's hope the Drubs continue to own the Cards in Wrigley over the weekend... And hopefully the Pirates don't do to us what they did to St. Louis last weekend. :eek:
August 17, 200620 yr Bray vs. Left: .323 vs. Right: .284 :irked: Schoeneweis vs. Left: .257 vs. Right: .290
August 18, 200620 yr 3 lefties to face the best RH bat in the game and another very good RH bat behind him. The only logic I'll buy on Franklin is making Duncan face a lefty, but then it goes to Weathers or Coffey right after Duncan. I think you could pick a name out of a hat with our three righties and have a big ERA vs Pujols and Rolen in the 9th with the game on the line... The inning is different if a lefty in the pen gets the first out. I just don't understand going with Franklin in the biggest inning of the year.
August 18, 200620 yr With the way he looked in the 8th I have no problem with it. How would you feel if it was Coffey or Stormy in there in the 9th? I'm not sure who I take my chances with in that situation. Any one of them is likely to produce the same result... Bring in Freel he does just about everything else for them. he couldn't be any worse/;)
August 18, 200620 yr 3 lefties to face the best RH bat in the game and another very good RH bat behind him. The only logic I'll buy on Franklin is making Duncan face a lefty, but then it goes to Weathers or Coffey right after Duncan. I think you could pick a name out of a hat with our three righties and have a big ERA vs Pujols and Rolen in the 9th with the game on the line... Remember when everyone was losing their mind because Coffey wasn't in the closer's role.
August 18, 200620 yr Do you think that the batter is intimidated when he comes running in. When John Rocker did it the batter thought "this guy is going to throw at me" When Coffey runs in they think straight fastball take a rip. However when they saw Weathers they thought straight slow fastball and their mouth watered. We need someone with a gimmick like the pro wrestlers. We need the Nasty Boys or at least someone who will knock somebody down every once in a while. Where is the attitude? Dare someone to lean out over the plate and swing for the fences.
August 18, 200620 yr Do you think that the batter is intimidated when he comes running in. When John Rocker did it the batter thought "this guy is going to throw at me" When Coffey runs in they think straight fastball take a rip. However when they saw Weathers they thought straight slow fastball and their mouth watered. We need someone with a gimmick like the pro wrestlers. We need the Nasty Boys or at least someone who will knock somebody down every once in a while. Where is the attitude? Dare someone to lean out over the plate and swing for the fences. Methinks they think, "Nutty young guy." Give him a few years and see whether he is still sprinting.
August 18, 200620 yr Methinks they think, "Nutty young guy." Give him a few years and see whether he is still sprinting. Probabaly true. We still need someone with an attitude. We need Ricky Vaugn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.