Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Track the Reds (Second Half)

Featured Replies

Really, there is on only player that is now one you have to pitch around and that's Dunn.

Who had to pitch around Felipe and Austin? What changed???

  • Replies 5.3k
  • Views 225k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I truly do not believe that's what the trade was about. It may be a benefit but it was not the impetus. I'd say a 7+ bullpen ERA was the impetus.

Do you think it wasn't a factor in who was moved, and who they were moved for? Kearns and Lopez each had one more season before FA, and Bray and Majewski have a combined 7 (Maj 3, Bray 4). I have no doubt it was a factor in the move...

As I said, its a small sample. However, you cannot deny that the Reds have lost a lot of pop. Really, there is on only player that is now one you have to pitch around and that's Dunn.

 

We'll see how the remainder of the season plays out. I'd be shocked to see them produce runs at the clip they did prior to the trade. That, however, should come as no surprise when you replace Lopez with Royce Clayton and you put speed in instead of power in RF.

 

It will only be a problem should the Reds pen not improve more than the slight improvement they've shown so far. Again, its early.

 

I'm with GT on this one...Kearns wasn't an all-star slugger as one might think if they read through these posts. Lopez was a one time all-star looking more like a flash in the pan every day...poor attitude, poor defense, poor work ethic. Why pay him to stay around and infect your other young players? Kearns wasn't showing signs of ever playing up to his first year and neither one of these guys was someone I think MLB pitchers worried about pitching around, at least IMO...

Man, do I hate the Dodgers — especially after suffering a sweep at their hands. :irked:

 

I agree with LABS — this team has squandered numerous golden opportunities to seize control of this division, and is in bad need of some fire.

I'm with GT on this one...Kearns wasn't an all-star slugger as one might think if they read through these posts. Lopez was a one time all-star looking more like a flash in the pan every day...poor attitude, poor defense, poor work ethic. Why pay him to stay around and infect your other young players? Kearns wasn't showing signs of ever playing up to his first year and neither one of these guys was someone I think MLB pitchers worried about pitching around, at least IMO...

:thumb: :thumb:

 

I think far too many people were unable to look past the fact that Kearns is from Kentucky, and that has clouded their brains into thinking he is some kind of budding MVP candidate. Bottom line is Kearns will likely never be anything more than a middle-of-the-road major leaguer.

I'm with GT on this one...Kearns wasn't an all-star slugger as one might think if they read through these posts. Lopez was a one time all-star looking more like a flash in the pan every day...poor attitude, poor defense, poor work ethic. Why pay him to stay around and infect your other young players? Kearns wasn't showing signs of ever playing up to his first year and neither one of these guys was someone I think MLB pitchers worried about pitching around, at least IMO...

 

 

I'm guessing pitchers are a little more cautious with Kearns and Lopez than with Freel and Clayton/Castro. They lost some run production.

If Felipe and Austin were the answer, how did they score 1 run or less 9 times in May (5 shutout and 4 1 run losses)? It's a weak argument IMO...

 

 

Are you saying the lineup is better now? I know teams can have bad games and bad stretches but be serious. The offense will not score as many runs after the trade as they did before it. The question is will they give up less runs.

:thumb: :thumb:

 

I think far too many people were unable to look past the fact that Kearns is from Kentucky, and that has clouded their brains into thinking he is some kind of budding MVP candidate. Bottom line is Kearns will likely never be anything more than a middle-of-the-road major leaguer.

 

 

Will Majeski be an all star? Nobody said they traded away a future hall of famer. BUt they did trade away their every day number 2 and 6 hitter.

What Kearns brought can be replaced in almost any given off season.

 

Lopez would be harder to replace. Except that the going theory is that Phillips will be the SS next season.

 

I would be for a starting lineup that saw Auriela at SS and E-5 at 3B.

Will Majeski be an all star? Nobody said they traded away a future hall of famer. BUt they did trade away their every day number 2 and 6 hitter.

 

No, but neither will Kearns or Lopez. The Reds traded for a specific need — to address a problem that cost them more than 10 games this season. The Reds aren't struggling because they're missing those guys — it's because their key run producers aren't doing so.

 

Are you saying the lineup is better now? I know teams can have bad games and bad stretches but be serious. The offense will not score as many runs after the trade as they did before it. The question is will they give up less runs.

 

It may not be better, but it's certainly not drastically worse.

Who had to pitch around Felipe and Austin? What changed???

 

Kearns was on pace to hit 28 dingers and Lopez provided pop - both players power and general offense are missed.

 

Again, if the 2 relievers pick it up and do better (especially Majewski) then the trade was worthwhile. If not, your bullpen didn't improve due to the trade and your offense got worse. We'll see.

Do you think it wasn't a factor in who was moved, and who they were moved for? Kearns and Lopez each had one more season before FA, and Bray and Majewski have a combined 7 (Maj 3, Bray 4). I have no doubt it was a factor in the move...

 

I said it was a factor. However, the Reds #1 issue was not moving salary. It was getting better bullpen help. LP loved Kearns and Lopez and had to have them in the deal.

 

My crystal ball says that had the Reds pitching been in strong shape, both of those players are still Reds.

I said it was a factor. However, the Reds #1 issue was not moving salary. It was getting better bullpen help. LP loved Kearns and Lopez and had to have them in the deal.

 

My crystal ball says that had the Reds pitching been in strong shape, both of those players are still Reds.

Not words, you often see in the same sentence, when discussing the Reds.....:sssh:
I'm with GT on this one...Kearns wasn't an all-star slugger as one might think if they read through these posts. Lopez was a one time all-star looking more like a flash in the pan every day...poor attitude, poor defense, poor work ethic. Why pay him to stay around and infect your other young players? Kearns wasn't showing signs of ever playing up to his first year and neither one of these guys was someone I think MLB pitchers worried about pitching around, at least IMO...

 

1. all-star slugger? I'll take 28 homers. If that's not playing up to his first year, I'm confused.

 

2. Lopez bad D? Not great but no discernable difference between him and Royce. No comparison offensively.

What Kearns brought can be replaced in almost any given off season.

 

Lopez would be harder to replace. Except that the going theory is that Phillips will be the SS next season.

 

I would be for a starting lineup that saw Auriela at SS and E-5 at 3B.

 

 

I assume you mean the Reds can go out and find a FA who can play above average D and hit 20+ homers. I hope you're right.

 

Phillips at SS makes sense.

 

Aurelia at SS means nothing to either side of him will be caught and then our slowing CF will be running even more.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.