December 7, 201510 yr Kind of makes think of when I was a young man in a dry county. I had to count on the guy down the road in the holler. The only problem was he had one brand of Kentucky's "finest". I had my fair share of Saturday morning headaches. When I walked into a store at 21 I saw his product was on the very bottom shelf and was a fourth of the price. Spent time in some dry counties when I was younger, might have visited that same guy in the holler! Lol
December 7, 201510 yr So you're arguing about something you don't know anything about all the while pretending you have valid points about something you don't know something about? That's really confusing. I'm arguing that something isn't right. And we need to find a solution. I am arguing that there IS an argument, and on the other side of the aisle, people are arguing that there is no issue. This isn't about just one type of gun. You said earlier that I was afraid of the ones I used in the example because I had been taught to be afraid of them. Well, sorta. I was taught to be afraid of all guns at an early age by my father, uncles and grandfathers. Because they are dangerous. I was taught there were people who don't respect that weapons are not status symbols. They aren't toys. They have the power to kill. That's what they were designed for. But that they have a place, there is a need for them and we have the right to own them. I recognize that. I understand the need for hand guns, rifles, shotguns. I understand they have a place for not only protection but for sport. I don't understand the need for a gun designed to fire as fast as you can make it. Designed to kill or wound as many people as possible. Once again, my overriding gun control issue is the safety of children who live in homes where guns are housed. I'm more discouraged with the nonchalance we display when a child dies after finding a gun and playing with it. We act like it's just a tragedy, when in fact, it's an issue of irresponsibility.
December 7, 201510 yr They want those gun to defend themselves with, to kill if need be. Thats why I would want one. Correct me guys if I am wrong. Thats their right. If the enemy has firepower they/we have to have the same. And I agree with them, the time is coming that we are going to need them. Then let's make the laws consistent across the nation. Let's consistently apply the penalties. Let's make sure when a small child finds plays with a gun that is improperly stored that we don't just shake our heads about the tragedy, and that the owners and/or caregivers responsible are held to a standard that punishes them foe not keeping weapons out of their hands. I'm tired of hearing that the families have been through enough by just losing the child, when no tragedy would have occurred if they had displayed responsibility. Let's make sure that nationwide, background checks are being done in a manner like Kentucky applies. If more people wind up having guns like the AR15, it seems to me that it would be reasonable to have the laws more stringent. As I have said hundreds of times on here, I do not propose taking away anyone's constitutional right. But with rights come responsibilities. And right now, I feel many people feel that that responsibility is minimal.
December 7, 201510 yr One thing that will not happen in the USA is that the Government will not take the guns. I feel if they tried there would be massive civil unrest to the point of violence. I don't believe that the 2nd Amendment could or should be abolished.
December 7, 201510 yr In case I need to defend myself against people like Sayed Farook! In his address to the nation the POTUS said that the terror threat has moved to a new stage, I am ready to fight back if needed. If people choose to not fight back I understand, some people are not cut out to do that, but to deny me that ability is not what our country was built on. If you were faced with a shooter, in a crowded venue, what are the chances that you would have brought your AR15 to the event with you? In the event you carried it around with you, how wiling would you be to fire it in the chaos and confusion?
December 7, 201510 yr Then let's make the laws consistent across the nation. Let's consistently apply the penalties. Let's make sure when a small child finds plays with a gun that is improperly stored that we don't just shake our heads about the tragedy, and that the owners and/or caregivers responsible are held to a standard that punishes them foe not keeping weapons out of their hands. I'm tired of hearing that the families have been through enough by just losing the child, when no tragedy would have occurred if they had displayed responsibility. Let's make sure that nationwide, background checks are being done in a manner like Kentucky applies. If more people wind up having guns like the AR15, it seems to me that it would be reasonable to have the laws more stringent. As I have said hundreds of times on here, I do not propose taking away anyone's constitutional right. But with rights come responsibilities. And right now, I feel many people feel that that responsibility is minimal. California has the most stringent gun laws in the nation. Kentucky has the least stringent. You say make the other states more like Kentucky. We agree that Kentucky does a good job on background checks. What Kentucky does not do is limit you to what gun you can purchase. Therein Kentucky sees that the problem isn't the gun, it is the individual that is purchasing the gun is the potential problem.
December 7, 201510 yr No hate. Familiarity simply gets in the way of honest debate. I see it all the time on these threads. This may come as a bit of a shocker to you, but my main source of irritation isn't with the far right. It's with the timid center-left -- people who often agree with me but don't want to comment for fear of insulting the friends they made at the BGP summer get-together.The friends I've met/made from BGP all have courage to voice their opinion. Rather you believe it or not, you'd be welcome at any event we'd have. I guarantee you would have a good time as well.
December 7, 201510 yr I'm arguing that something isn't right. And we need to find a solution. I am arguing that there IS an argument, and on the other side of the aisle, people are arguing that there is no issue. This isn't about just one type of gun. You said earlier that I was afraid of the ones I used in the example because I had been taught to be afraid of them. Well, sorta. I was taught to be afraid of all guns at an early age by my father, uncles and grandfathers. Because they are dangerous. I was taught there were people who don't respect that weapons are not status symbols. They aren't toys. They have the power to kill. That's what they were designed for. But that they have a place, there is a need for them and we have the right to own them. I recognize that. I understand the need for hand guns, rifles, shotguns. I understand they have a place for not only protection but for sport. I don't understand the need for a gun designed to fire as fast as you can make it. Designed to kill or wound as many people as possible. Once again, my overriding gun control issue is the safety of children who live in homes where guns are housed. I'm more discouraged with the nonchalance we display when a child dies after finding a gun and playing with it. We act like it's just a tragedy, when in fact, it's an issue of irresponsibility. The riffles you have a problem with are just that. Riffles. You've been led to believe they're more dangerous because of how they look.
December 7, 201510 yr If you were faced with a shooter, in a crowded venue, what are the chances that you would have brought your AR15 to the event with you? In the event you carried it around with you, how wiling would you be to fire it in the chaos and confusion? I would not be carrying my Semiautomatic rifle in public, I would be carrying 45cal. and/or 9mm high capacity handguns. In the event that an attack occurs and the shooter escapes the scene, as thought to be the case in San Bernardino, I would retrieve my semiautomatic rifle for protection. Following the Paris attacks many French citizens were locked in their homes with nothing to defend themselves but hope! As far as my ability to fight back in the event that I'm attacked, all I can do is make sure that my weapons are clean and functional and practice with them on a regular basis.
December 7, 201510 yr Then let's make the laws consistent across the nation. Let's consistently apply the penalties. Let's make sure when a small child finds plays with a gun that is improperly stored that we don't just shake our heads about the tragedy, and that the owners and/or caregivers responsible are held to a standard that punishes them foe not keeping weapons out of their hands. I'm tired of hearing that the families have been through enough by just losing the child, when no tragedy would have occurred if they had displayed responsibility. Let's make sure that nationwide, background checks are being done in a manner like Kentucky applies. If more people wind up having guns like the AR15, it seems to me that it would be reasonable to have the laws more stringent. As I have said hundreds of times on here, I do not propose taking away anyone's constitutional right. But with rights come responsibilities. And right now, I feel many people feel that that responsibility is minimal. I couldn't agree with you more regarding consistency in our laws, both in the way they are written and enforced! I also agree that people ignorant enough to let a child have access to a weapon should be held accountable. However, my main concern is the threat that is being posed by radical groups such as ISIL. How do we ban chemical weapons?
December 7, 201510 yr If you were faced with a shooter, in a crowded venue, what are the chances that you would have brought your AR15 to the event with you? In the event you carried it around with you, how wiling would you be to fire it in the chaos and confusion? I have answered you as honestly as I can. I would like to ask for your opinion on this scenario. Let's imagine that All guns have been destroyed, none exist anywhere on earth, would you think that these terror attacks would stop? Do you think that American on American murder would stop?
December 7, 201510 yr The friends I've met/made from BGP all have courage to voice their opinion. Rather you believe it or not, you'd be welcome at any event we'd have. I guarantee you would have a good time as well. Fraternity leads to mass-think.
December 7, 201510 yr Fraternity leads to mass-think. I'll have my weapon on my side, so probably a good idea. I'd hate for you to come around to the multiautomatic side via one of our gatherings.
December 7, 201510 yr Then let's make the laws consistent across the nation. Let's consistently apply the penalties. Let's make sure when a small child finds plays with a gun that is improperly stored that we don't just shake our heads about the tragedy, and that the owners and/or caregivers responsible are held to a standard that punishes them foe not keeping weapons out of their hands. I'm tired of hearing that the families have been through enough by just losing the child, when no tragedy would have occurred if they had displayed responsibility. Let's make sure that nationwide, background checks are being done in a manner like Kentucky applies. If more people wind up having guns like the AR15, it seems to me that it would be reasonable to have the laws more stringent. As I have said hundreds of times on here, I do not propose taking away anyone's constitutional right. But with rights come responsibilities. And right now, I feel many people feel that that responsibility is minimal. There are millions of gun owners in this country right now. I'd say the overwhelming majority of them are very responsible. In every case, if a gun is used to kill someone, that is investigated and that person may or may not be charged with a crime. What new law do we need? My guess is the majority of murders with firearms in this country do not come from an AR15...heck in one of the deadliest rampages didn't the VA tech killer use hand guns? It's kinda odd to me that TERRORISTS, attacked our country, and people are seriously talking about disarming American citizens. That is insane.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.