October 30, 201510 yr Unless Dalton's offensive line is significantly better than Brady's, I don't see how this would be much of a discussion. What is most impressive about Brady this season is that he has the most make-shift OL in the league. Only one starter has seen much action before this year.
October 30, 201510 yr Author Is Peyton's decline more about the natural effects of aging or the fact is neck is completely shot? Also, can you name the oldest QB ever to start an NFL game? I'll say George Blanda. 48?
October 30, 201510 yr I don't think it's Blanda for starting an NFL game. I'll guess Vinnie Testaverde.
October 30, 201510 yr In a vacuum I take Dalton without hesitation. You know how the common belief is that running backs decline after 30? We're talking about Brady playing the majority of these 5 years in his 40s? Each additional year is much more rough on your body than the last. Obviously there is the Peyton comparison, but he had an absolutely fantastic season after his initial neck problems, and now it looks like he can hardly throw the ball down the field. Of course this depends on my teams (and coach?). If we're talking about the Bengals, I take Brady all day. Dalton has been incredible this year, but with Brady they would be Super Bowl favorites. You never know how long that window will be there. If my team is a stud QB away from being a Super Bowl contender in the next year or two, Brady is the obvious answer. However, if I'm any number of teams in the bottom half of the league, Dalton is my man and I look toward improving the rest of my team. Conversely, it was a couple months ago that some were clamoring for AJ to get a chance. There's an argument to be made that you would be better off taking whatever you can get out of Brady for those 5 years and drafting someone to take the reins when age inevitably catches up with him.
October 30, 201510 yr Is Peyton's decline more about the natural effects of aging or the fact is neck is completely shot? Maybe both. Bad/Inexperience offensive line, lack of a consistent run game, and changing offenses on him at the beginning. Combine all of that you have have a perfect storm for his demise.
October 30, 201510 yr I'll say George Blanda. 48? Although Blanda played until he was 48, he served those last years as a kicker. The oldest starting Qb is Steve DeBerg at 43 in 1998 when Chandler went down with the Falcons.
October 30, 201510 yr Comparing a QB who has not won a playoff game to a QB who has won 4 SB and is seriously threatening to add another is not fair. Half the QBs playing in the NFL today secretly want Brady's autograph! I keep waiting for the Patriots to come down from their mountain, but they keep finding people like Dion Lewis who make near pro bowl level contributions from other franchises scrap heap.
October 30, 201510 yr Author I posed this question for a few reasons. 1. The concept of a QB playing at age 43 2. Dalton would be in his prime years for a few years 3. Gauge the impact of past performance About what I expected.
October 30, 201510 yr Has nothing to do with past performance. Brady is exponentially better than Dalton currently and there's no signs that dominance won't continue for quite a while. There's also no doubt in my mind that, barring injury, Brady will still be around at 43.
October 30, 201510 yr Author Has nothing to do with past performance. Brady is exponentially better than Dalton currently and there's no signs that dominance won't continue for quite a while. There's also no doubt in my mind that, barring injury, Brady will still be around at 43. It may not for you. It does for many.
October 30, 201510 yr Has nothing to do with past performance. Brady is exponentially better than Dalton currently and there's no signs that dominance won't continue for quite a while. There's also no doubt in my mind that, barring injury, Brady will still be around at 43. And obviously that's the key. I agree with you on all aspects. Injury is the only reason Brady won't be an elite QB at 43. It's just that age weakens the body and makes it more susceptible to injury and/or the longer your career goes, the more you get hit, the worse your chances at being unscathed by some career-threatening, ex. Peyton and Steve Young.
October 30, 201510 yr Up until Manning's injury around the mid-point of last season, you could have made an argument for him to repeat as league MVP. Since then it has been a precipitous decline. Point being, Manning didn't show any signs of diminishment; but, at the first setback, he hasn't bounced back anywhere near to that level.
October 31, 201510 yr Brady and its no even close. If dalton were to lead the Bengals deep into the playoffs this year and show he can show up when it really counts then I will revisit.
October 31, 201510 yr Better question...not counting this year or next year...who do you take for the following 3 years? Basically after Brady turns 40.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.