ESPN Layoffs

D-Rob

I appreciate those two super dependable links, I'm simply telling you with 100% certainty that those figures are light.

One of those celebrity salary / net worth sites have Kirk Herbstreit's salary at $250,000. Ummm, yeah, that isn't close either.

Fair enough. The point is they both make a lot of money, which wouldn't be the case if they didn't bring in a lot of money for ESPN.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised at the disdain for Mike and Mike. I love listening to them and do most mornings while getting ready for and driving to work. They are able to get great guests and I just think their show just works. About the only other guy on ESPN radio I like besides them now is Kanell. I used to like Cowherd but he's gone now. I like Van Pelt but he left for the midnight Sportscenter slot. Lebatard's show is just awful.

I am surprised at the disdain for Mike and Mike. I love listening to them and do most mornings while getting ready for and driving to work. They are able to get great guests and I just think their show just works. About the only other guy on ESPN radio I like besides them now is Kanell. I used to like Cowherd but he's gone now. I like Van Pelt but he left for the midnight Sportscenter slot. Lebatard's show is just awful.

This. Every word.

It's just a hot take show like most of the ESPN tv shows . It just is to vanilla for me.

That is why having Bill Simmons podcast to listen to in the morning again is so enjoyable.

It's the result of shrinking cable subscribers and grossly overpaying for the rights to carry pro sports

:thumb:

I've been talking about that phenomenon for years on this site, and that bubble is going to burst before long. More and more homes cutting the cord(s), and more and more deals being negotiated for rights into the hundreds of millions and billions. Bad combo.

Cable channels make 75% of their revenue off subscription fees, NOT advertising, so they are deathly nervous about the next few years.

Most of the people let go were producers, editors, and programmers -- people behind the camera. It's the result of shrinking cable subscribers and grossly overpaying for the rights to carry pro sports

Good point but can they pretend Berman is a camera man and get rid of him anyway?

Just saw they're going to offer Skip Bayless 4 million a year. I'll take less than half of that and do his job

I just can't believe he is worth 4 million a year. A day time show on espn 2 can't be worth that.

Stephen A Smith might make sense because he's used across multiple platforms. Skip does First Take and that's it.

I just can't believe he is worth 4 million a year. A day time show on espn 2 can't be worth that.

Stephen A Smith might make sense because he's used across multiple platforms. Skip does First Take and that's it.

Especially the time slot the show has. Doesn't get nearly the viewership that the evening shows get