Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Freshman vs JV

Featured Replies

I hear alot of people say that freshman games don't mean anything about the future of your favorite team. What do JV games tell you about the furture of your teams and/or the talent coming up? Do you get more info from freshman or JV games?

  • Replies 90
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither one matter. The coaches do not watch the film from the games .

Neither one matter. The coaches do not watch the film from the games .

 

Yes they do.

I hear alot of people say that freshman games don't mean anything about the future of your favorite team. What do JV games tell you about the furture of your teams and/or the talent coming up? Do you get more info from freshman or JV games?

 

If people say wins and losses at those levels are not the most important aspect of the games then I agree. Too many variables to give a predictor of varsity success.

Yes they do.

 

Not ALL coaches watch jv or freshman film. Freshman usually aren't filmed by staff and jv may not always be filmed. Often times, the head Coach will only attend the home games. It is what it is.....learning time.

I disagree that neither one matters. I also would say not to put significant stock in trying to win the JV or Freshman Cup. With these 2 teams you are just trying to get guys who won't play on Friday the opportunity to get snaps. Whether coaches watch the film on these games or not, I don't know, but I would hope that the coaches there are watching the games and giving advice to these guys when they come off the field so they at least have some guidance to get better. And who will take the Seniors spot not year when they are gone? That's why the better teams do give some credence to this to develop their players for next year.

If people say wins and losses at those levels are not the most important aspect of the games then I agree. Too many variables to give a predictor of varsity success.

 

I say at the JV level, wins are a very close #2 in importance, ESPECIALLY, if your varsity has struggled to win. Getting over mental hurdles is a benefit of winning at any level really.

Neither one matter. The coaches do not watch the film from the games .

 

Your completely wrong (as usual) on both of your statements.

I say at the JV level, wins are a very close #2 in importance, ESPECIALLY, if your varsity has struggled to win. Getting over mental hurdles is a benefit of winning at any level really.

 

Agreed on it being good mentally. It doesn't, though, tell me anything about future varsity success.

Agreed on it being good mentally. It doesn't, though, tell me anything about future varsity success.

 

If it is a GCL JV team it may seeing as most rosters are Sr. heavy, but in NKY, you are correct. Too many Sophomores and Jrs never sniff a JV game.

The JV team has several JUNIORS playing both varsity and JV which is not right to the boy's who see no playing time. So I guess my question then would have to be how many quarters or plays does it take to not qualify to play on a JV game?

Winning at the Freshman and JV levels certainly helps contribute to a winning culture, but as has already been mentioned, it's not always a good indicator of future Varsity success. I've seen lousy Freshman teams turn into winners by the time they're seniors and vice versa. There's a lot of physical and emotional growth occurring between freshman and senior years.

 

Getting the underclassmen out there and seeing what kind of competitive spirit those kids have and how well they play together is important, though.

 

As far as how much attention head coaches give to Freshman and JV games, I guess it varies from one program to another. For example, I was at a game on Monday night between Russell and Raceland's JV teams and both school's Varsity head coaches were present and on the sidelines. They allowed their JV coaches to do their jobs, but they also wouldn't hesitate to chime in with some advice when the situation called for it.

The JV team has several JUNIORS playing both varsity and JV which is not right to the boy's who see no playing time. So I guess my question then would have to be how many quarters or plays does it take to not qualify to play on a JV game?

 

"Playing" varsity is vague. Heck, they could play a LOT of varsity on defense but JV on offense. No issue with that.

 

To be honest, you've raised this issue quite a bit this year and it seems that others have shown that your generalizations are inaccurate.

Reps, Reps, and more Reps. That is the benefit of playing JV/Frosh. The more reps you have, the more comfortable you are on the field at that position. JMO As well, our JV/Frosh game are filmed and given to the coach the next day. While the players are in their advanced conditioning class, on game days, the coach breaks down film with most of the players. I think that is a great idea. I've always said, "Film never lies". I believe it also breeds a team concept, the varsity players come to the jv games and both come to the freshman games and the freshman go to the jv games that they don't dress for.

No they are not inaccurate. My son felt left out due to this reason. No child should be put on the back burner because Juniors get little to no Varsity time.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.