Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Beechwood 69 Newport 24

Featured Replies

The HC got there late, not the entire staff. Lets not act like every coach on the staff is a new face. Some of these guys have been there awhile.

 

2 guys on that staff were brought back from last year and 5 new ones. Don't act as if you are in the know.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 guys on that staff were brought back from last year and 5 new ones. Don't act as if you are in the know.

 

So what I said is correct!

So what I said is correct!

 

5 out of 7 are new. So no you're not.

I was an inner city kid. Went to Holmes, played football for a strong coach, learned life lessons and moved on. Quit giving these kids excuses to hold on to. You acted up, our coach would ask you to take your jersey off and head to the locker room or the bus. The game is not about 1 boy or 2. A strong coach would tell those kids that anytime you pump your chest, take your helmet off, make a scene, or talk back to any adult... you make the game about you.... and the game was never about you. So you ask me to have sympathy for the kids and coaches? I don't. There are many coaches out there willing to coach the right way... not only teaching these kids the fundementals but the life lessons they desperately need. Find them. Lesson 1 from my old coach.... in a very southern draw "if it was easy, everybody would do it."

 

Or the coach that played at Ohio State and Houston Oilers!

I was an inner city kid. Went to Holmes, played football for a strong coach, learned life lessons and moved on. Quit giving these kids excuses to hold on to. You acted up, our coach would ask you to take your jersey off and head to the locker room or the bus. The game is not about 1 boy or 2. A strong coach would tell those kids that anytime you pump your chest, take your helmet off, make a scene, or talk back to any adult... you make the game about you.... and the game was never about you. So you ask me to have sympathy for the kids and coaches? I don't. There are many coaches out there willing to coach the right way... not only teaching these kids the fundementals but the life lessons they desperately need. Find them. Lesson 1 from my old coach.... in a very southern draw "if it was easy, everybody would do it."

 

I'm just curious on how well you all did during your time there? I agree that football is a great tool to teach kids life lessons. I will say this though inner city kids do respond even better when they see some success. A lot of times a coach has to earn the players respect when at an inner city school and its not just given would you agree? You get that respect by showing that you care and pushing them. However a lot of times with kids they have to see that what you are teaching them is worth it and seeing the results. Take the last two years at Newport they have had a lot of success and the kids probably bought in a lot more to all the things the coach was teaching them. However take this year for example these players went from having success and now all of a sudden they are having a very rough year on the field. So would you agree then that it would be hard for a coach to get the players to still fully buy in now? The coach may be doing everything he can to teach that respect and discipline and may be doing even more than the last coach in that area. However since the players don't see that success, they probably have a harder time buying in.

 

I have no idea what the new coach has or hasnt done. I just know that the situation he came in to would be tough.

is Ochoa the Newport QB? I coached him in junior football. what an athlete.

 

Ochoa played WR. They got him some carries running the ball also. Tyler Porter is the QB and is a good athlete. Newport has some good players. Tyree Bolden is the best RB I have seen this year. He runs very hard, breaks tackles and is very fast. Reynolds is strong on the line. In my opinion they should be a better team than what they showed on Friday night.

I'm just curious on how well you all did during your time there? I agree that football is a great tool to teach kids life lessons. I will say this though inner city kids do respond even better when they see some success. A lot of times a coach has to earn the players respect when at an inner city school and its not just given would you agree? You get that respect by showing that you care and pushing them. However a lot of times with kids they have to see that what you are teaching them is worth it and seeing the results. Take the last two years at Newport they have had a lot of success and the kids probably bought in a lot more to all the things the coach was teaching them. However take this year for example these players went from having success and now all of a sudden they are having a very rough year on the field. So would you agree then that it would be hard for a coach to get the players to still fully buy in now? The coach may be doing everything he can to teach that respect and discipline and may be doing even more than the last coach in that area. However since the players don't see that success, they probably have a harder time buying in.

 

I have no idea what the new coach has or hasnt done. I just know that the situation he came in to would be tough.

 

We were not good. Much like Newport we had a few athletes, but just not enough. Also, at that time it was still the 4 class system so we never made the playoffs. I was talking last night about this and did forget a very important point.... back then the coaches could put their hands on you. It was nothing for a coach to kick a kid in the butt when he messed up. Several times I remember getting smacked in the helmet. Our coach had bowl ring, i assume, and when it hit your helmet it made your head ring for a minute. I don't condone this, but it was a major difference from then and now. I definitely feared my coaches.... not for just the physical punishment but because I never wanted them disappointed in me. Much like kids with dads didn't want their dads disappointed. Maybe kids today just don't think like that.

I have tried to refrain from posting too much ... but I would like to share a few thoughts.

 

*I saw Newport's first scrimmage ... and they have improved LIGHT YEARS since then.

*The Newport players on the field played hard (no clue what happened on their sidelines).

*The Newport players on the field did not talk trash to Beechwood (at least not that I could hear .. and I was close--they did give each other a hard time when something they were responsible for happened--but that was more like they were holding each other accountable).

*After the game--all kids and coaches were first class (not happy that they lost--but they shook everyone's hand and wished us good luck--as did their coaching staff)

*My assessment is that the players on the field (again ... no clue about the sideline) have bought into what they are being taught.

*The coaching staff (new and old) are doing a solid job ... and hopefully they get plenty of time.

 

I feel like they will continue to improve. There are some things that they could clean up immediately ... that would help significantly (don't pitch on option when someone has you completely wrapped up, take the sack when you have no receivers open, etc).

 

My final assessment--if the players continue to work hard and improve (which I feel like they are doing) .. they have a chance to do special things in the future. Obviously one man's opinion ...

The HC got there late because he was hired late.

Another thing to consider is that the physical plant was not ready for football practice when Newport finally had a coaching staff in place. There were multiple areas of the campus under construction. The new field was being installed. The track lanes were being painted. Several times they had to practice on the baseball field, this, after the coaches painted impromptu yard lines themselves. There was no coaches office near the field where staff could meet.

The coaching staff is working hard to solve problems. Not going to happen overnight.

The HC got there late because he was hired late.

Another thing to consider is that the physical plant was not ready for football practice when Newport finally had a coaching staff in place. There were multiple areas of the campus under construction. The new field was being installed. The track lanes were being painted. Several times they had to practice on the baseball field, this, after the coaches painted impromptu yard lines themselves. There was no coaches office near the field where staff could meet.

The coaching staff is working hard to solve problems. Not going to happen overnight.

Practice on the baseball field is no excuse every practice at Lloyd is in the outfield of the baseball field

All I can say is #75 is huge, and I cant remember the other lineman's number, #56 maybe, he was huge and a darn nice player as well. Those kids need to keep their head up, better days will come if they buy into the program.

I will say that if those kids buy into the option offense and stay disciplined, they will give DC in NKY a fit trying to defend it. Newport has the athletes to run that type of offense to perfection. I look forward to seeing how they progress next year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.