Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question

Featured Replies

This may not belong in this High School football thread, I'm sure someone will tell me if it doesn't. Anyway, here goes.

 

My daughters boyfriend played in NK last year and this year is playing college football. On Monday's, they do not have practice, all they have to do is show up at a certain time to have their grades checked. This young man, likes to come home on Monday's after grade check. It's a pretty long drive. So, he shows up 15 minutes early so that he can get this done and get on the road. The coaches notice that he is early and therefore, make him wait to be the last one to have his grades checked. This in return makes him much later to get home, much later to get back to school. More tired for football the next day.

 

With all that being said, can someone answer me why football coaches have to be such as.....jerks? What does letting that kid know that you are in control do for them? Is there self estem / ego so low that they get some kind of comfort from this? I just don't get it. I use the think that only High School coaches were jerks, thinking I was wrong. I guess it is football coaches in general. Please help me understand. Does treating kids like crap make them sexually aroused or what? I don't get it!

  • Replies 130
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not trying to be a jerk nor am I a football coach but nobody is making the young man play football. If football isn't that much of a priority to him that going home is more important then he may not want to play at the college level. If he has something going on that he really needs to be going home on his free time then he needs to sit down with the coaches and talk to them about his situation.

 

From my experiences college coaches have a lot on their plate and they aren't mind readers.

I would be interested if he has told the coaches as well why he shows up early. Maybe the coaches know what he is up to and they may see it as a way to buck the system. They may see it as him trying to get one over on everyone else. It isn't the coaches responsibility to get him out early so he can go home. Just my 2 cents worth.

First off I would ask that you retract that last part. You will find that there are many very good and compassionate coaches out there. I'm not sure what your experiences were but I can tell you my coaches in High School were some of the greatest guys I have been around and taught me much.

 

That being said many coaches, especially college coaches probably aren't enthused by him being distracted during the season and driving all the way home weekly. Them not practicing on Mondays is likely to give them a rest. If that player is on Athletic scholarship driving home as you would say it a far distance once a week rather than staying at school and focusing on school and football, I can see where they could be frustrated.

But that is just my thought.

  • Author

So, his free time isn't really his free time? They intentionally made him wait to be last. That has nothing to do with their plate.

  • Author
I would be interested if he has told the coaches as well why he shows up early. Maybe the coaches know what he is up to and they may see it as a way to buck the system. They may see it as him trying to get one over on everyone else. It isn't the coaches responsibility to get him out early so he can go home. Just my 2 cents worth.

 

But it is their responsibility to prevent him? What system is he bucking?

Has he told the coaches why he shows up early? What was their answer?

 

So, his free time isn't really his free time? They intentionally made him wait to be last. That has nothing to do with their plate.

 

Has he talked to the coaches?

I would be interested if he has told the coaches as well why he shows up early. Maybe the coaches know what he is up to and they may see it as a way to buck the system. They may see it as him trying to get one over on everyone else. It isn't the coaches responsibility to get him out early so he can go home. Just my 2 cents worth.

 

My other question is, why does this make him later to get back to school the next day and why is he more tired the next day? That makes no sense at all. What does leaving an hour later have anything to do with being more tired the next morning?

  • Author
First off I would ask that you retract that last part. You will find that there are many very good and compassionate coaches out there. I'm not sure what your experiences were but I can tell you my coaches in High School were some of the greatest guys I have been around and taught me much.

 

That being said many coaches, especially college coaches probably aren't enthused by him being distracted during the season and driving all the way home weekly. Them not practicing on Mondays is likely to give them a rest. If that player is on Athletic scholarship driving home as you would say it a far distance once a week rather than staying at school and focusing on school and football, I can see where they could be frustrated.

But that is just my thought.

 

 

Can't retract the last part. But I do understand your point. I find that valid.

  • Author
I would be interested if he has told the coaches as well why he shows up early. Maybe the coaches know what he is up to and they may see it as a way to buck the system. They may see it as him trying to get one over on everyone else. It isn't the coaches responsibility to get him out early so he can go home. Just my 2 cents worth.

 

My other question is, why does this make him later to get back to school the next day and why is he more tired the next day? That makes no sense at all. What does leaving an hour later have anything to do with being more tired the next morning?

 

 

I would google time management.

But it is their responsibility to prevent him? What system is he bucking?

You said they have to show up at a certain time on Mondays and he is showing up early. Early isn't the time he is supposed to be there and it is trying to buck the system. Just because he shows up early and before the given time doesn't mean he should get out early. Other players time is just as important to them as is this kids to him.

 

Again, I don't understand what getting out later has anything to do with hiim getting back to school later the next day and being tired. Maybe he should just stay at school if it is that long of a drive and then he wouldn't have to worry about it.

  • Author
Has he talked to the coaches?

 

I don't know that answer. Should he? Should everyone on the roster talk to the coaches about their free time? Maybe they should, I was never on a scholarship. I don't know what the rules are. Is free time not free time when you are on scholarship? I don't know that answer.

I would google time management.

 

Probably would want to google discipline and structure too.

 

Football can be treated as far as structure the same as drill Sargent treats military training. Doing things certain ways teaches lessons etc. and is used to teach the importance of following orders without questioning them which will add to the unity of a team and the team concept.

I don't know that answer. Should he? Should everyone on the roster talk to the coaches about their free time? Maybe they should, I was never on a scholarship. I don't know what the rules are. Is free time not free time when you are on scholarship? I don't know that answer.

I don't know the answer to that either. I can't speak for the school you are talking of or their football program. I can only speak of one I am familiar with. My son also plays football in college and they also do not have "practice" on Mondays, but they do still have other football related things. They don't work out on the field in pads etc. on Mondays but they do have conditioning in the morning instead of their regular practice and after classes they have film study and positional group meetings and then study sessions for their classes at night. Sounds like this kid may be lucky he actually has a free day it sounds like on Mondays.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.