Can Newport Central Catholic..............

Ram

Does NCC face any real threats on their path to the finals?

Depends on your opinion of Shelby Valley this year. Obviously if Danville, Somerset, or LCA get back to where they have been in the past it could be a challenge, but I don't see that this year. And programs like Walton-Verona and Prestonsburg will have good teams, but they seem pretty far behind NCC.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does NCC face any real threats on their path to the finals?

Shelby Valley is not a team to take lightly

As mentioned in the preview... anytime you return 8 or 9 starters and basically all your offensive firepower you will be improved.

I think NewCath kind of shocked them last year. They had simply not seen that team speed or athleticism. Also looking back at that game..Jacob Smith went OFF with big runs where he broke 5-6 tackles... kick returns..and so forth. Shelby Valley simply was a deer in the headlights and suddenly found themselves down in a big hole and didnt ave a passing game to try and play catch up.

I still think there is a large gap between the two, but with that much experience and a considerably tougher schedule I fully expect Shelby Valley to be much more prepared if they met them again.

As a side note... how many SV scouts do you think will be at Belfry when the Pirates play the Breds?

I tend to think "yes," but I'm going to couch that. My biggest reason for answering yes is that Newport Central Catholic will never have to go to Mayfield and win.

Yes, but Beechwood had some chances to beat Mayfield at Beechwood and didn't either.

Jacob Smith 6'0 195 RB

John Harris 5'8 188 RB/OLB

Patrick Henschen 6'5 210 QB

Austin Neff 6'2 185 WR/DE

Luke Kues 6'1 187 WR/TE/DE

Griffin McHugh 6'2 190 WR/TE/DE

Eric Anderson 6'2 172 WR/FS

Kobe Tallon 6'1 215 MLB/G

Maleak Lawrence 5'10 230 DE/DT

How do they look upfront on the line ?

All they have to do is beat them once and New Cath will have more success than Beechwood did.

To beat Mayfield they need to figure out how to stop Mayfield's offense. Beechwood got better and better at handling the bubble screens and quick passing game but they only held Mayfield under 35 points one time in the last 5 meetings. In that game Beechwood picked off Mayfield's QB 3 or 4 times and lost on a controversial goal line play in the last minute. That game was at Mayfield.

Hopefully they are more athletic than last year. On defense, Lawrence is an absolute beast.

I look forward into watching them out at Scott in less than a few weeks. Should be a good game ! Scott has a physical solid line on both sides of the ball . It should be a great matchup.

Which players are you talking about? Give us some information on them, if you can.

Henschen looks every bit of 6'5" plus and still growing. Lawrence adding some muscle to an already "beefy" frame, & Hightchew looks like he grow 2 inches and added about 20-30 pounds.

Henschen looks every bit of 6'5" plus and still growing. Lawrence adding some muscle to an already "beefy" frame, & Hightchew looks like he grow 2 inches and added about 20-30 pounds.

Great !! I can't wait to see this game

Jacob Smith 6'0 195 RB

John Harris 5'8 188 RB/OLB

Patrick Henschen 6'5 210 QB

Austin Neff 6'2 185 WR/DE

Luke Kues 6'1 187 WR/TE/DE

Griffin McHugh 6'2 190 WR/TE/DE

Eric Anderson 6'2 172 WR/FS

Kobe Tallon 6'1 215 MLB/G

Maleak Lawrence 5'10 230 DE/DT

At the UC camp he measured 6'3" 205