July 4, 201511 yr I hope so. Other states would follow suit and folks can then move to the utopia that they crave.
July 4, 201511 yr I hope so. Other states would follow suit and folks can then move to the utopia that they crave. And why do we need Delaware and North Dakota, anyway?
July 4, 201511 yr I would be interested to know who would join with "states" if they decided to leave and create something new.
July 4, 201511 yr How long would this secession last? How long til seniors yell for their SS checks? How long will road infrastructure keep up with out matching Federal funds? Interesting thoughts.
July 4, 201511 yr Probably not as fast as you think. Put all the Federal Taxes that you send to Washington into similar accounts run by the new government and set it up very close and being Texas produces a ton of oil that the "other" states would have to import I could see not being near as hard as some believe.
July 4, 201511 yr Probably not as fast as you think. Put all the Federal Taxes that you send to Washington into similar accounts run by the new government and set it up very close and being Texas produces a ton of oil that the "other" states would have to import I could see not being near as hard as some believe. I agree with all that you just said. The "whole national defense" thingy would be a problem though. I doubt Texas can assimilate a competent army.
July 4, 201511 yr I agree with all that you just said. The "whole national defense" thingy would be a problem though. I doubt Texas can assimilate a competent army. Texas? For some reason assimilating a competent army seems natural. Maybe I off but I wouldn't think by far.
July 5, 201511 yr Probably not as fast as you think. Put all the Federal Taxes that you send to Washington into similar accounts run by the new government and set it up very close and being Texas produces a ton of oil that the "other" states would have to import I could see not being near as hard as some believe. Do you think the US is going to "hand back" current investments? Where will they get the money needed now for those drawing all manner of benefits today? Do you think the Federal govt will trade and work with seceding states? Really? I think your ideal is the simplistic one.
July 5, 201511 yr That would be interesting...if a state secedes, do all the people living in the state lose their SS benefits? Keep in mind, that the people contributed their own money for the SS benefits. And many of the individuals in the seceding state probably did not want to secede. It will never happen but is interesting to think about it.
July 5, 201511 yr I never said this was my idea. You asked a question and I answered what I thought and how it could happen. Never said I was for it either. Just that it could easily be done especially of several states did it together. If several did it the government would not have much choice would they? What would they do attack them with force?
July 5, 201511 yr Jesse, your reply sounds defensive. I guess my reply came off accusatory. I just don't think it would be as "easy" as you allege in the above. As I mentioned, the SS benefits alone would be problematic for the citizenry. The seceding government can claim that its citizens put the money in the fund and should receive it back but does anyone really think the US would do such for a seceding state? The chips would be in the Feds hands and not the states. How would they extract their "gold" from the former Union? Even with so called "several states" it would be a hard action to achieve. If anything, it would be a modern version of the former Civil War. There are as many "Government jobs" supporting the Texas economy as there are in Virginia. Now where would the funding come from to support all those military bases and NASA?
July 5, 201511 yr I never said this was my idea. You asked a question and I answered what I thought and how it could happen. Never said I was for it either. Just that it could easily be done especially of several states did it together. If several did it the government would not have much choice would they? What would they do attack them with force? Last time that happened it was the other way around.
July 5, 201511 yr Jesse, your reply sounds defensive. I guess my reply came off accusatory. I just don't think it would be as "easy" as you allege in the above. As I mentioned, the SS benefits alone would be problematic for the citizenry. The seceding government can claim that its citizens put the money in the fund and should receive it back but does anyone really think the US would do such for a seceding state? The chips would be in the Feds hands and not the states. How would they extract their "gold" from the former Union? Even with so called "several states" it would be a hard action to achieve. If anything, it would be a modern version of the former Civil War. There are as many "Government jobs" supporting the Texas economy as there are in Virginia. Now where would the funding come from to support all those military bases and NASA? Hatz I agree it would be hard, but to think it could not work is basically saying without the Washington government no one could survive. I don't think that's the answer to to the problems that a lot think we have as a country, but like I said in another post, when the majority is either for or either against something and a very small group of judges tells them no, that's not how its going to be, then there are going to be issues. This is not the first talk of secession from Texas as I remember right. I think this is a slippery slope that can really affect our country. Same thing with the marijuana votes by the states. Federal law prohibits it, yet the states said we are voting on it and I think everyone knows how the vote went. So in essence we now have Federal laws that say one thing, and states voted to do exactly the opposite. Anytime you have something like this, its clear that the country is heavily divided over a lot of issues, marijuana, gay marriage etc. And like I said when people are heavily divided and you have just a few making the rules show me one time in history that this has worked? Again I am not for this. Eventually if our country keeps on the path its on, its going to happen or worse. A few can't nor will ever rule the majority.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.