Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Facemask & Bows

Featured Replies

I know this thread has been up before but wanted to dredge it up again. This week began some of the youth summer leagues. Out of 6 teams this week, I saw 4 teams with EVERY girl in the field, to include outfielders, wearing masks. I was overjoyed.

 

My though is that this must be a social modeling process and that's great.

 

I spoke with some coaches and reinforced that I thought this was great. One coach told me that he told his girls if they were going to play infield on his team, they were going to wear a mask.

 

Maybe the tide will turn and the social modeling will pick up so that the stigma of masks gets removed, and in few years girls will wear masks as standard part of softball, much like the bows in their hair.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I coach an 8U team and on my team it is required. Hopefully as the girls grow it will just become habit.

 

Come to think of it, we've played 3 tournaments so far this season and I can not remember seeing a girl on any team in the field without one.

My daughter plays 12U and it is required for her team to wear a face mask in the infield. It is optional for outfield, but most outfielders choose to wear their mask as well. In every tournament and game at the 12U level, I have yet to see any infielder without a face mask. It has been this way since she started playing a couple of years ago. She just played her first season of high school ball and I was taken aback by the number of girls who do not wear masks. A pitcher would wear a mask every now and then, but for the most part I did not see any JV or varsity player wear a mask. I know that my daughter was the anomaly when she wore her mask while pitching this high school season. My son was severely injured while pitching last summer (took a line drive to his face/eye). He has had one major reconstructive surgery and has at least one more minor surgery in the near future to repair all the damage. My daughter was at the game when he was hurt--some images will stick with you for a long time. She used to grumble about wearing her mask while pitching, but now is glad that she has it. I hope more girls choose to start wearing their masks at the high school level.

I hope it continues to spread...I've seen a girl take a line drive directly to the forehead, that was a look and a sound that I never want to see again. Very fortunate that all she received was a concussion.

 

This wasn't a defenseless player that was over matched, it was the best player on the team that had a line drive knuckle on her and slide right over her glove.

If not mistaken, I believe Campbell County's head coach encourages all players to wear a mask. I can't remember if all do. The pitchers are throwing hard and the bats are hotter which equals one mistake on fielder's part to be severely injured. I also would recommend a heart guard. Every parent that I've talked to about the Evo chest shield, say it's not noticeable to their daughter, mine included. Just watching the ncaa college tournament and you'll see girls wearing shin and elbow guards. As long as it continues to be a cool looking product that protects, it becomes a win win for player and parent.

  • Author

I should have mentioned the Evo. I have seen several pitchers at the hs level wearing and I'm a fan of that also. If anyone gives any grief about a face mask, show them the clip of the Missouri pitcher getting canned a couple weeks ago..that should clear it up

 

Missouri softball pitcher exits Super Regional after getting hit in head with line drive | MLB | Sporting News

Edited by BirdBrain
Added link

If not mistaken, I believe Campbell County's head coach encourages all players to wear a mask. I can't remember if all do. The pitchers are throwing hard and the bats are hotter which equals one mistake on fielder's part to be severely injured. I also would recommend a heart guard. Every parent that I've talked to about the Evo chest shield, say it's not noticeable to their daughter, mine included. Just watching the ncaa college tournament and you'll see girls wearing shin and elbow guards. As long as it continues to be a cool looking product that protects, it becomes a win win for player and parent.

 

They are starting to look like Mo Vaughn at the plate. :lol2:

Corners and Pitcher wear mask. Pitcher also wears Evo Shield.

 

My daughter also wears one when she plays infield or pitches.

DLG never wore a mask (except when she caught) and she played every position in her 4 varsity seasons. (over 40 games in the circle).

 

2.0 wears one when she plays infield.

3.0 wears one when she plays both.

 

Personally I don't think it's necessary in the outfield or at 2nd or SS.

 

Soon they will look like Gladiators going into battle.

  • Author
DLG never wore a mask (except when she caught) and she played every position in her 4 varsity seasons. (over 40 games in the circle).

 

2.0 wears one when she plays infield.

3.0 wears one when she plays both.

 

Personally I don't think it's necessary in the outfield or at 2nd or SS.

 

Soon they will look like Gladiators going into battle.

 

Helps cut down on the inadverdent collision damages....

DLG never wore a mask (except when she caught) and she played every position in her 4 varsity seasons. (over 40 games in the circle).

 

2.0 wears one when she plays infield.

3.0 wears one when she plays both.

 

Personally I don't think it's necessary in the outfield or at 2nd or SS.

 

Soon they will look like Gladiators going into battle.

 

There lies l some of the problem... I know you didn't mean it that way but they are too concerned about looks... My DD has worn a mask since getting hit in the head her 1st year of 14u... Hasn't hurt her fielding percentage 3 errors in over 200 chances this year... I could care less what she looks like (on the field) as long as everything is intact off the field. I do think 2nd and SS should be optional but not the corners or pitchers.

 

I'm curious to see how many young ones, 4th thru 6th graders, show up at the(shameless plug) HHS softball camp next week with their masks. (PM RCC9 for info).. I know one thing for sure Quillen, Graybill and Dutcher will have theirs on...

... And by the way LB... Halloween is a couple months away so you can lose your mask anytime now...

  • Author
There lies l some of the problem... I know you didn't mean it that way but they are too concerned about looks... My DD has worn a mask since getting hit in the head her 1st year of 14u... Hasn't hurt her fielding percentage 3 errors in over 200 chances this year... I could care less what she looks like (on the field) as long as everything is intact off the field. I do think 2nd and SS should be optional but not the corners or pitchers.

 

I'm curious to see how many young ones, 4th thru 6th graders, show up at the(shameless plug) HHS softball camp next week with their masks. (PM RCC9 for info).. I know one thing for sure Quillen, Graybill and Dutcher will have theirs on...

 

Right on cue with the inadvertent collisions....

I was curious to see how many would be wearing masks at the all-star game last night. I did not see the Senior game, but in the Junior game it was none. My thought is by high school girls should have the skills to protect themselves against being hit by a line-drive, with the exception of the pitcher because she is in a more vulnerable position after releasing the ball. I would never tell any parent or kid not to wear one but at the same time I don't think it is a coaches place to tell a kid they have to wear one. Go tell someone involved with baseball that you are requiring your outfielders to wear facemasks and see the response you get. Girls sports have always had an uphill struggle and these type things just add fuel to the fire.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.