Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bracken County's girls coach Patrick Kelsch

Featured Replies

Remember: It's just high school sports. Kids are there for an education first and foremost. This is not the pros or college. Everyone loves to talk in language like it's some big franchise/business, i.e. "Polar Bear Nation," "Loyal Kelsch People," etc. Take a deep breath and get back to reality here. At the end of the day, it's about making good grades, graduating and moving on to college to earn a degree.

 

Very philosophical - sounds like something right out of a board room.

 

Academics and athletics run hand in hand - side by side. A well-rounded education includes the best of both worlds. A good athletic experience should be the other half of a good academic experience. Having a positive athletic/extra-curricular experience will round out the total high school package.

 

I do think it means something when a person contributes six years of his life to his program, devotes himself to his players and understands the highs and lows of the game. I also think that coaches get taken more for granted the longer they are in a program, and while the job they are presently doing might be viewed as outstanding or a breath of fresh air in their first season, that same effort becomes status quo as the years go on. Folks become disenchanted with the status quo, think thay could do better, and seek change for the sake of change.

 

If we were dealing with chess pieces here maybe it would be easier to accept, but we're not, we are dealing with human beings who care about the program they've developed and the kids who play for them.

 

Unless PK has done something illegal, immoral, or to the detriment of the program (which is highly unlikely after his six year tenure in the program) I cannot phathom, other than complacency on the part of the admin/parents, for a change to be warrented in this case. The grass is always greener............. but maybe they need to appreciate what they have, instead of seeking an unatainable holy grail.

  • Replies 71
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For these small schools it's a big deal when a successful coach leaves or is asked to leave or whatever the case may be. And the people of these small rural communities have a right to ask questions

 

Hmmmmmm I don't think I would use the word "right." I don't think parents have the right to ask questions regarding personnel decisions. If you want them to have that right, then you also have to afford them the right to send nasty emails, question, or emit negativity towards coaches.

 

I do not think you can give them one right with giving them the other. I personally think parents should cheer, players should play, and coaches should coach.

 

I hope PK gets a better job. I think BC will regret this decision.

polarbear98 or mcpapa should at least be in the conversation

 

And for the record, I don't know nearly as much about basketball as polarbear.

 

Think on THAT for a couple of minutes.

And for the record, I don't know nearly as much about basketball as polarbear.

 

Think on THAT for a couple of minutes.

^

Didn't take that long:lol2:

It's my understanding that most of the parents didn't see this coming and still don't know for a fact what took place. So, if it's a parent issue, it was a small minority of them.

It's my understanding that most of the parents didn't see this coming and still don't know for a fact what took place. So, if it's a parent issue, it was a small minority of them.

 

It only takes one to be a problem.

... unatainable holy grail.

 

Love this!

We should probably wait on bashing the BC administration. Sounds like not many people know the reasons behind it.

 

I'd say this is probably more true than most people think. People seem to forget, it takes two to tango.

My final note on this issue because it won't change anything but hopefully some of the BGP people will appreciate setting the record straight. I don't think it's premature to speculate on why the Administration took this action because: He's a tenured teacher in the school district and I know he wasn't fired from his teaching position, just the Coaching position. So, given that fact and the fact that he has been the Coach for extended period of time (I don't know for sure but 10+ years) you can surmise that it wasn't related to the professional or morality aspects of his position nor based upon his team's performance over those years because they have been very, very successful what would we imagine his firing pertained to? IMO whatever the reason it was purely subjective and limited and not his work as a whole over the entire period of time he has been there. I also said much the same about Chad Persinger when he was fired and that has never been contradicted either.

Kind of amusing that some of the Bracken faithful, as well as others, that are bashing the administration for this situation, was praising them a few weeks ago for hiring Jason Hinson. Same administration. In that situation they were called heros, etc. Suddenly a couple weeks later they are called incompetent, ridiculous, etc. So which is it?

^ I'd say that would depend on who is within the inner circle and who isn't. They may end up replacing all the other coaches there before too long!

There are things we don't know. We have know idea what was said behind closed doors. Usually when things like this happen there are contributing factors from both sides. I wish PK the best. I think he will find success elsewhere.

There are things we don't know. We have know idea what was said behind closed doors. Usually when things like this happen there are contributing factors from both sides. I wish PK the best. I think he will find success elsewhere.

 

100% this

Kind of amusing that some of the Bracken faithful, as well as others, that are bashing the administration for this situation, was praising them a few weeks ago for hiring Jason Hinson. Same administration. In that situation they were called heros, etc. Suddenly a couple weeks later they are called incompetent, ridiculous, etc. So which is it?

 

Personally I feel the administration is doing what they think is the best for the program weather it an unpopular opinion or not. I feel that if they didn't have some sort of plan for the future they would have not made a move. As some one mentioned above there are two sides to every story and until both sides are told it's unfair to form an opinion either way. I can assure you whatever the reasoning it wasn't done without being carefully thought out prior to any made decisions.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.