Marvin Lewis One Year Contract Extension

Marvin is now extended through the 2016 season. I just wonder if this was what Marvin wanted or Mike wanted.

The answer says a lot. If Marvin wanted just one year he might be getting ready to retire or see how the massive free agents next year pan out. Or is Brown saying some playoff games or we've had enough.

I think it is Marvin's call.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan of the extension. Either way I think this is his and Dalton's last year if they don't make a run this year. Now with that said I don't think Mike Brown would go out and make big changes. He would promote one of the assistants to head coach and AJ McCarron would take over QB.

Haven't they been doing 1 year deals for a while now?

Some of you guys are wanting to relive the Dick LeBeau years. Marvin is the best coach the Bengals have had in decades.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Capitalization

haven't they been doing 1 year deals for a while now?

Some of you guys are wanting to relive the Dick LeBeau years. Marvin is the best coach the Bengals have had in decades.

:laugh:

you do know that isn't a vote of confidence at all when you think about how horrible the coaches here have been for decades right? Being the best of the worst isn't anything to be excited for.

Thats like saying Bryan Price is the best manager the Reds have had in a few years.

I don't think people realize how solid the stability of Marvin has been. Not many teams have made the playoffs for 4 consecutive years. Now I agree it isn't about getting there it is about winning but how quick we forget that the Bengals went years without sniffing the playoffs. I think the after the 3-4 year of one and done people had the right to question if he was still the right man for the job. But honestly, the Bengals have been a "contender" for the first time in 10 years and the 2nd time in 24 years.

Marvin has done great things for the Bengals and he is the best coach in a long long time. He will be missed when he is gone, but this has to be the make or break year for him.

haven't they been doing 1 year deals for a while now?

:laugh:

you do know that isn't a vote of confidence at all when you think about how horrible the coaches here have been for decades right? Being the best of the worst isn't anything to be excited for.

Thats like saying Bryan Price is the best manager the Reds have had in a few years.

Just calling it like I see it HB. The grass isn't always greener, if ya know what I mean.

While I completely disagree with HB when he likes to say Marvin Lewis is the worst coach in the NFL, because he isn't horrible but not great. Marvin Lewis is exactly right around where his record says he is and that is average. Just like the rankings that listed the top coaches earlier this year had him about in the middle of the pack of coaches.

However even though I agree he is not horrible like others have said and what he has done is definitely better than the horrible 90's. However with that said you eventually have to take that next step, and he has had chances to get this team to take that next step and yet this team usually performs horribly in any primetime games and playoff games.

So yes it would be taking a chance by going with a new coach, and things could end up going downhill. However that is a chance I feel like the Bengals should take and should have took. So yes it could turn out bad, but it could also have been a thing to get this team over the next hump. They have had the overall team in place to take that next step besides maybe at QB but they have failed. IMO they should have made the change after the playoff loss to the Chargers. Now I feel like Marvin and Dalton's fate are tied together on this season.

Unreal that this guy still has a head coaching job.

He first should have been gone after the 2010 season. Then he did a nice job turning things back around, but then he should have been gone after the Chargers playoff lost. So I can't say I agree with the Bengals at all for keeping him. However even with this extension I think this is his last year here if they don't take the next step this year.

This may be about 28 free agents to be next year on the roster. Some of them may be looking for some stability in the head coach. I believe they have had preliminary discussions with most, if not all of their agents. Maybe the feedback from most was, if Coach Lewis isn't back we are likely not to be either.

I have been one of Marvin's biggest advocates on here and in my family, whom all wanted him gone long ago, and he has been the best coach we have had at least since Wyche.

But he has to take the next step because the window is closing fast with their talent. I am not sure they can sign all of the core - Green, Gio, Hill, Whit, Andre, Tez, Hall, Dre, Iloka, Zeitler etc. over the next 2-3 years.