April 7, 201511 yr If the officials gave Wis Cheese the ball on that Winslow ball touch, there still woudl have been an 80% chance that Duke still would have won. Wis Cheese just gave up and started playing desperate instead of in control at the end of the UK game. Wis Cheese beat themselves and Duke just assisted them in doing so. GO DUKE!
April 7, 201511 yr If the officials gave Wis Cheese the ball on that Winslow ball touch, there still woudl have been an 80% chance that Duke still would have won. Wis Cheese just gave up and started playing desperate instead of in control at the end of the UK game. Wis Cheese beat themselves and Duke just assisted them in doing so. GO DUKE! It was a lot more than just that one call that went Duke's way.
April 7, 201511 yr It was a lot more than just that one call that went Duke's way. I get it, but I did not see Bo Ryan complaining when his player made a shot after the clock expired against UK. The Refs allowed them to play in the second half and only blew 1 call and missed another one. Wisconsin lost their 9 point lead because Duke just outplayed them, not because the refs helped them.
April 7, 201511 yr If the officials gave Wis Cheese the ball on that Winslow ball touch, there still woudl have been an 80% chance that Duke still would have won. Wis Cheese just gave up and started playing desperate instead of in control at the end of the UK game. Wis Cheese beat themselves and Duke just assisted them in doing so. GO DUKE! I do not know how to handicap the odds, but having the ball under your own goal down 5 with 1:53 on the clock is not insurmountable. Now Duke went on to throw the daggers, but that was a critical miss.
April 7, 201511 yr Officials are going to get calls wrong. I have no issue with missing calls. I do have issue with using replay and getting them wrong. My only complaint about the entire NCAA tourney is the difference I seen between the way officials called it from one half to the next. Last night was a prime example of that. I watched 90% of the tournamnet games and a few I have DVR I still plan to watch. it is amazing how the game changes from each half.
April 7, 201511 yr Its not what he said, its when he said it. All he said is the same thing other coaches have said for years, he just used the "National Championship" spotlight to let it out. I have no issue with it.
April 7, 201511 yr Like someone posted earlier whats the different about Coach K crying about fouls at half.
April 7, 201511 yr I don't have a problem with what he said. I think that, had he made his remarks about one and done players and the officiating in a more composed manner and waited a few months, we wouldn't have an issue. The manner in which he made his comments were a bit more crude than most care for and it comes off as sour grapes in the minutes following your title game loss.
April 7, 201511 yr It is nothing that 90% of the coaches including Coach K has said in the past when talking about UK. Coach K said he would never recruit a one and done player. Its just the frustration of the times. As far as the officiating, he didn't say anything that anyone watching the games this year hasn't said. I made a statement before the game started about the officials would do their best to help Duke. Officials were horrible both ways. I see you post this quite a bit, can you find me an exact quote of K saying this? He has said time and time again, just like Cal that he is against it but for the life of me I have never actually seen him say he wouldn't recruit them. Before Cal made it more popular K had a couple 1 and done's.
April 7, 201511 yr I found that non-overturn to be completely ridiculous. I'm no physicist, but even I know that a ball's rotation is not going to be altered by the wind in an enclosed arena. I was at the game, aimed a straw at the ball and blew extremely hard. Simple.
April 7, 201511 yr I don't have a problem with what he said. I think that, had he made his remarks about one and done players and the officiating in a more composed manner and waited a few months, we wouldn't have an issue. The manner in which he made his comments were a bit more crude than most care for and it comes off as sour grapes in the minutes following your title game loss. Nail on the head here. I had a lot of respect for Bo Ryan and lost most of it. I understand it was a time after an emotional loss but I think as a coach you have to do a better showing. If you have issues let them out later instead of the press conference after the game.
April 7, 201511 yr Based on what little I've seen on line the answer to the thread question is no, Bo's not getting a pass.
April 7, 201511 yr I see you post this quite a bit, can you find me an exact quote of K saying this? He has said time and time again, just like Cal that he is against it but for the life of me I have never actually seen him say he wouldn't recruit them. Before Cal made it more popular K had a couple 1 and done's. He said it when John Wall was a freshman at UK. Wall being from NC and coach K was asked why he didn't recruit Wall harder and he said he does t recruit one and done players. It was an ESPN interview given in 2010 when he was asked why he didn't go after the best player in the country harder who also happened to be in his backyard. Amyway here is an interview he made this morning on why he changed his views about recruiting one and dne players. http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/07/how-duke-changed-their-mindset-on-one-and-done-players-video/ Edited April 7, 201511 yr by Hellbird
April 7, 201511 yr @Hellbird, I am a little bored so I went looking for a quote in an article somewhere so that you could have a legitimate answer to @75center. I'll admit, I didn't look super hard, but found nothing. And everything I found was to the contrary of what you're saying. But came across this article: Observations from Above the Rim: Recruiting Wall a desperate act by Duke Sounds like going into John Wall's recruitment is when Coach K knew he needed to start going after "one and dones". Also, the article points out Ohio State being a team that maybe has been hurt by "one and dones" over the years, meaning Thad Matta hasn't made is successful as Coach K and Coach Cal have.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.