Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does Everyone give Bo Ryan a Pass?

Featured Replies

John Wall was recruited and offered by Duke.....

I never said he wasn't, he just wasn't recruited hard by Duke which raised,the ire of,Duke fans and in an interview back then about why he didn't recruit him harder Coach K said he didn't like recruiting one and done players.

it was in tv back then on ESPN and I remember it well. I went and did some research for you all and found this from this morning, an interview he had with Dan Patrick and they talked about him changing his recruiting about one and done players and why he recruits them now but didn't back then.

 

How Duke changed their mindset on one-and-done players (VIDEO) | CollegeBasketballTalk

 

Basically, if he was always for recruiting one and done players there wouldn't be a reason to change his mindset now would there?

  • Replies 95
  • Views 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never said he wasn't' date=' he just wasn't recruited hard by Duke which raised,the ire of,Duke fans and in an interview back then about why he didn't recruit him harder Coach K said he didn't like recruiting one and done players. it was in tv back then on ESPN and I remember it well. I went and did some research for you all and found this from this morning, an interview he had with Dan Patrick and they talked about him changing his recruiting about one and done players and why he recruits them now but didn't back then. How Duke changed their mindset on one-and-done players (VIDEO) | CollegeBasketballTalk
Are you sure you're not getting Coach K mixed up with Roy Williams. I thought Williams was asked the question about not recruiting Wall when UK played UNC at Rupp Arena during Wall's one year at UK.

 

 

http://m.tarheeltimes.com/article21949.aspx

As far as Bo Ryan goes, I never really understood why he is considered me of the best coaches in the game. Exactly what has he actually dne before this years title game run? He has zero National Championships, he really hasn't done much in the national eye. I was always baffled to why he was put up on a pedestal in the national media's eye. I will admit I don't know a lot about him except he comes across as an angry old man a lot of times, but maybe I don't know a lot about him because he really hasn't won anything.

 

 

Can anyone show me a resume of his that would impress me?

If I'm not mistaken he has coached at the college ranks since mid 80's and the only 2 final four appearances he's ever had was last year and this year. Sometimes I think the Hall of Fame's criteria is non existent. He was a finalist this year.

Are you sure you're not getting Coach K mixed up with Roy Williams. I thought Williams was asked the question about not recruiting Wall when UK played UNC at Rupp Arena during Wall's one year at UK.

 

 

Roy Williams: John Wall 'just didn't fit' with UNC program - Tar Heel Times - 12/5/2009

 

 

No I remember it was Coach K because the very next year he recruited a known one and done and the first thng I thought of was what a 180 he just made.

No person should be shocked at Bo's remarks, btw. Dude is about as crotchety as they come. Bud Kilmer.

As far as Bo Ryan goes, I never really understood why he is considered me of the best coaches in the game. Exactly what has he actually dne before this years title game run? He has zero National Championships, he really hasn't done much in the national eye. I was always baffled to why he was put up on a pedestal in the national media's eye. I will admit I don't know a lot about him except he comes across as an angry old man a lot of times, but maybe I don't know a lot about him because he really hasn't won anything.

 

 

Can anyone show me a resume of his that would impress me?

If I'm not mistaken he has coached at the college ranks since mid 80's and the only 2 final four appearances he's ever had was last year and this year. Sometimes I think the Hall of Fame's criteria is non existent.

 

He's been in the college game since the mid-1980s, but he spent his first 15 years as a college head coach in Division III. The media loves guys that rise up. Plus he's done it all in Wisconsin. UW-Plattville (D-III) then a couple seasons at UW-Milwaukee (D-I Horizon League) before taking over UW-Madison after Dick Bennett resigned in 2001.

 

He's won four Division III national championships and has won three Big Ten tournament titles, four Big Ten regular season titles and only once in his 14 years at Wisconsin have they failed to make at least the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament...

 

The guy can coach.

He's been in the college game since the mid-1980s, but he spent his first 15 years as a college head coach in Division III. The media loves guys that rise up. Plus he's done it all in Wisconsin. UW-Plattville (D-III) then a couple seasons at UW-Milwaukee (D-I Horizon League) before taking over UW-Madison after Dick Bennett resigned in 2001.

 

He's won four Division III national championships and has won three Big Ten tournament titles, four Big Ten regular season titles and only once in his 14 years at Wisconsin have they failed to make at least the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament...

 

The guy can coach.

I think he may have done his best coaching at the DIII level. I'd take a guy like Sean Miller over Bo. I just don't see anything impressive that he has done at the DI level that warrants Hall of Fame consideration.

I think he may have done his best coaching at the DIII level. I'd take a guy like Sean Miller over Bo. I just don't see anything impressive that he has done at the DI level that warrants Hall of Fame consideration.

 

Sean Miller and Bo have met up each of the last two seasons with a trip to the Final Four on the line... Bo's 2-0 in that series.

 

I didn't know when I first responded that we were using Hall of Fame criteria to determine if someone was a great college coach. I'll agree that Bo Ryan is not a Hall of Fame coach at this time.

One and Done is the new way of life. Jim Boeheim used a one and done to win his only championship. I'm sure he would like to out bid UK for some of their players anyday. Coach K has the right to try it out. He might as well retire with about 5 more one and done teams and 2 more championships.

One and Done is the new way of life. Jim Boeheim used a one and done to win his only championship. I'm sure he would like to out bid UK for some of their players anyday. Coach K has the right to try it out. He might as well retire with about 5 more one and done teams and 2 more championships.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with Coach K going that route. The only thing that bothers me are the ones who crucify Coach Cal for "ruining" the college game yet praise Coach K for doing the exact same thing.

One and Done is the new way of life. Jim Boeheim used a one and done to win his only championship. I'm sure he would like to out bid UK for some of their players anyday.

 

Talked to a customer last week who is a huge Syracuse fan. He said he couldn't stand UK because he hated how they only had guys who stayed for one year. Since he was a customer, I just left it at that and didn't remind him of Carmelo Anthony and his championship.

Talked to a customer last week who is a huge Syracuse fan. He said he couldn't stand UK because he hated how they only had guys who stayed for one year. Since he was a customer, I just left it at that and didn't remind him of Carmelo Anthony and his championship.

 

Next time you see him you can also remind him that we'd all take four or five one-and-dones before four years of Eric Devendorf.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with Coach K going that route. The only thing that bothers me are the ones who crucify Coach Cal for "ruining" the college game yet praise Coach K for doing the exact same thing.

 

They only tear down Cal because of his past 2 programs and the type of arogance that he puts out. Since he seems more like the gambling and night life type of person. Coach K seems like the home and family type of coach. Coach cal brought some of that on himself but does not deserve to be crucified for it. He has generated more income to that University of Kentucky than any other Coach in any other program in the country in his short time there. He is also a great family man just like Coach K but people want to pick because they arent him.

They only tear down Cal because of his past 2 programs and the type of arogance that he puts out. Since he seems more like the gambling and night life type of person. Coach K seems like the home and family type of coach. Coach cal brought some of that on himself but does not deserve to be crucified for it. He has generated more income to that University of Kentucky than any other Coach in any other program in the country in his short time there. He is also a great family man just like Coach K but people want to pick because they arent him.

 

I love Cal, but is this true? Here is a chart for this past season:

 

image.jpg

 

Duke, Louisville, UNC generate most revenue - College Basketball - Rivals.com

I love Cal, but is this true? Here is a chart for this past season:

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50009[/ATTACH]

 

Cal got there in 2009...go from 2009 to 2015.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.