Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott Ruthsatz

Featured Replies

I ran into Joe Frederick today and learned that Scott was officially staying at CCH and had told Cincy Saint X no thank you. According to Joe, Scott was staying primarily because of a great relationship with Bob Rowe, the kids in the program, and his staff. Joe also told me that he would have stayed with Tony Bacigalupo had he become the next coach. Joe was great to talk to, is really excited Scott is staying, and you can see what a passion he has for the kids in their program.

 

I've never spoken to Coach Ruthsatz but he seems like a good guy and is obviously a great coach.

 

If this shouldn't have been its own thread I am sorry.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

.....

 

Good to know, not a huge surprise, and great for CovCath, the 9th, and KY Hoops in general. Yes....Joe Fredrick certainly loves those kids. Scott has assembled a great staff of really passionate and dedicated guys.

.....

 

Good to know, not a huge surprise, and great for CovCath, the 9th, and KY Hoops in general. Yes....Joe Fredrick certainly loves those kids. Scott has assembled a great staff of really passionate and dedicated guys.

Hard to argue that they're not at the top of the Commonwealth.

Well, this has to dash the hopes of more than a few around NKY.

Definitely huge for the program to keep him. Maybe this winds up settling some of the rumors and future offers down some as well.

 

For those of us who aren't as familiar with the Ohio/GCL scene, what kind of job is Cincinnati St. X generally seen as? How "in place" are things there speaking in terms of: feeders, facilities, support from admin, support from the community, parents, competition, other sports at the school that may compete, what kind of package they can offer a coach, etc.?

  • Author
For those of us who aren't as familiar with the Ohio/GCL scene, what kind of job is Cincinnati St. X generally seen as? How "in place" are things there speaking in terms of: feeders, facilities, support from admin, support from the community, parents, competition, other sports at the school that may compete, what kind of package they can offer a coach, etc.?

 

They pull from schools as far as 50 miles.

 

They have two gyms, their facilities are that of a small college, and they want for nothing.

 

Their annual Stag even raises over $1 million dollars. They have all of the support you'd ever need.

 

Their Football team has national prominence under the leadership of Steve Specht. They have won state in swimming and golf so often I can't even count. They have 1,600 boys, or thereabouts, so all of their teams are quite competitive....outside of hoops.

 

Steve Specht could be making anything between $80k and $150k (only partially kidding) and I wouldn't be shocked. If you made me guess it is around a hundred. Heck, he turned down a spot on Urban Meyer's staff, so it has to be good. Their enrollment has exploded over the last 15 years, with a tuition at $13k per year, and you have to give Specht's program some credit for that.

CovCath ain't playing around. By keeping Coach Ruthsatz around they may now officially be a basketball school and I don't mean any disrespect when I say that. What he means to that school and program is deeper than words. I'm glad to hear he is staying. This is just the beginning of this program.

.....

 

Good to know, not a huge surprise, and great for CovCath, the 9th, and KY Hoops in general. Yes....Joe Fredrick certainly loves those kids. Scott has assembled a great staff of really passionate and dedicated guys.

 

No doubt about that!

 

Good to see Ruthsatz staying. Competing against his teams hopefully raises the level of play for all the teams in N. Ky.

They pull from schools as far as 50 miles.

 

They have two gyms, their facilities are that of a small college, and they want for nothing.

 

Their annual Stag even raises over $1 million dollars. They have all of the support you'd ever need.

 

Their Football team has national prominence under the leadership of Steve Specht. They have won state in swimming and golf so often I can't even count. They have 1,600 boys, or thereabouts, so all of their teams are quite competitive....outside of hoops.

 

Steve Specht could be making anything between $80k and $150k (only partially kidding) and I wouldn't be shocked. If you made me guess it is around a hundred. Heck, he turned down a spot on Urban Meyer's staff, so it has to be good. Their enrollment has exploded over the last 15 years, with a tuition at $13k per year, and you have to give Specht's program some credit for that.

 

Sounds like a nice job. I'm taking it that they would be fine with having some kids come in from outside the feeders if that's what a coach wanted? I'm not really privy to how all that works in Cincy, but would imagine that some schools do it.

CovCath ain't playing around. By keeping Coach Ruthsatz around they may now officially be a basketball school and I don't mean any disrespect when I say that. What he means to that school and program is deeper than words. I'm glad to hear he is staying. This is just the beginning of this program.

 

If you know Bob Rowe, he wants to be championship caliber in everything, and is not your stereotypical principal with little knowledge of athletics and their value to the school/community and to the perception of future Colonels. He has been a head baseball coach and varsity assistant basketball coach. He has coached multiple district championship JV teams and one that went undefeated.

 

He is extremely competitive by nature, and dumb like a fox. His passion is not limited to athletics. He wants to have the highest enrollment, the best ACT scores, the finest choir, the best facilities and graduate scholars and ambassadors.

 

Scott Ruthsatz (and his sons) fell into his lap. The fact that he owned a business in Toledo and wanted to get his family out of the inner-city environment of Newark made him somewhat of a risk, despite his ties to St. Anthony and Bob Hurley. Bob (and the selection committee) liked what they saw and now possess the hottest high school coaching commodity in the tri-state. Once Bob has him in his building, he will go to great lengths to keep him there. I think that Coach Ruthsatz realizes this and knows just what he has going for him at CovCath.

 

Win-win for all parties.

If you made me guess it is around a hundred. Heck, he turned down a spot on Urban Meyer's staff, so it has to be good.

 

As with Scott, sometimes money isn't everything. Scott loves what he is doing now, he loves CCH, the St. X money didn't get him to leave. Same with Specht, very happy at St. X, maybe he just loves where he is and an assistant in college isn't what he wants, and as with Scott, the OSU money wasn't going to get him.

 

Also, a lot of us never gave this rumor a second thought, I think it was wishful thinking by some. Plus, didn't someone post on here Monday that Nick tweeted that his dad wasn't going anywhere?

 

Just like Cal, he is very happy at UK, people get al worried when there is the slightest rumor that an NBA team may be interested in him. He has everything he needs money wise, a top program, seems like his desire to coach in the NBA is gone. Yet people keep bringing his name up every spring, and yet many people panic, over nothing.

They pull from schools as far as 50 miles.

 

They have two gyms, their facilities are that of a small college, and they want for nothing.

 

Their annual Stag even raises over $1 million dollars. They have all of the support you'd ever need.

 

Their Football team has national prominence under the leadership of Steve Specht. They have won state in swimming and golf so often I can't even count. They have 1,600 boys, or thereabouts, so all of their teams are quite competitive....outside of hoops.

 

Steve Specht could be making anything between $80k and $150k (only partially kidding) and I wouldn't be shocked. If you made me guess it is around a hundred. Heck, he turned down a spot on Urban Meyer's staff, so it has to be good. Their enrollment has exploded over the last 15 years, with a tuition at $13k per year, and you have to give Specht's program some credit for that.

 

Great summary Menstch.....tuition is just over $14k now and then you got your $650 application fee. ; )

Sounds like a nice job. I'm taking it that they would be fine with having some kids come in from outside the feeders if that's what a coach wanted? I'm not really privy to how all that works in Cincy, but would imagine that some schools do it.

 

X is Jesuit led, so it is an independent, non-diocesan school. As such, I don't think there are traditional feeders, but rather draws kids from all over greater Cincinnati.

 

Wiki link

If you know Bob Rowe, he wants to be championship caliber in everything, and is not your stereotypical principal with little knowledge of athletics and their value to the school/community and to the perception of future Colonels. He has been a head baseball coach and varsity assistant basketball coach. He has coached multiple district championship JV teams and one that went undefeated.

 

He is extremely competitive by nature, and dumb like a fox. His passion is not limited to athletics. He wants to have the highest enrollment, the best ACT scores, the finest choir, the best facilities and graduate scholars and ambassadors.

 

Scott Ruthsatz (and his sons) fell into his lap. The fact that he owned a business in Toledo and wanted to get his family out of the inner-city environment of Newark made him somewhat of a risk, despite his ties to St. Anthony and Bob Hurley. Bob (and the selection committee) liked what they saw and now possess the hottest high school coaching commodity in the tri-state. Once Bob has him in his building, he will go to great lengths to keep him there. I think that Coach Ruthsatz realizes this and knows just what he has going for him at CovCath.

 

Win-win for all parties.

I get that and understand that.

What I am saying is that I understand Covington Catholic is a school of excellence and aspires to excel at everything but Scott Ruthstaz has elevated the basketball program to a new plateau and now that he is staying I expect to see basketball be the shining beacon of excellence in Covington Catholic athletics.

I get that and understand that.

What I am saying is that I understand Covington Catholic is a school of excellence and aspires to excel at everything but Scott Ruthstaz has elevated the basketball program to a new plateau and now that he is staying I expect to see basketball be the shining beacon of excellence in Covington Catholic athletics.

 

I'm not totally sold on basketball being the "shining beacon of excellence in Covington Catholic athletics". While I certainly hope the hoopsters maintain the recent level of success, there is a lot of energy building for the football program with Eviston signing on as coach. CovCath has a strong tradition in football (5 titles) and it is not a stretch to think they could reach that level again relatively soon. The freshman class was strong and the incoming freshman class should be at that level as well. Time will tell, but these are exciting times in Park Hills.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.