Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

FBI looking into possible lynching

Featured Replies

LA Times says preliminary reports indicate a high probability of it being suicide.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Specifically, I meant that no white guys ever turn up hanged by someone else, because they're white.

 

Guessing you were present an knew the facts on the nearly 1300 lynching of white men in the US between 1882 and 1968 that are recorded.

Guessing you were present an knew the facts on the nearly 1300 lynching of white men in the US between 1882 and 1968 that are recorded.

 

Please dont bring up any facts like that, we all know thats not allowed.

Yes, there have been white people lynched and hung from trees...just like there there have been Asians, Hispanics, and Native Americans lynched and hung from trees. However, who here can honestly say that when they hear the phrase "lynched and hung from a tree", they don't think about a black man hanging at the end of that rope? There may have been 1,300 white men lynched in an 80 year period...but in that same time period, there were 3,400 black men lynched. We all know it's a method of murder that is symbolic of racial hatred against black people. Try doing a Google Image search of the work "lynching". How many white people do you see hanging with crowds of black people standing around them posing for a picture?

I am shocked that white people were lynched at a rate of 40% of black people. That is not a statistic I have ever heard. It does make sense when you consider the amount of prejudice against Jews, Catholics, Italians and Irish through the years and with the much larger population base it fits. Still quite a surprise as like others, I hear the word lynching I immediately think of a black person.

 

I admit to relief if this turns out to be a suicide.

I am shocked that white people were lynched at a rate of 40% of black people. That is not a statistic I have ever heard. It does make sense when you consider the amount of prejudice against Jews, Catholics, Italians and Irish through the years and with the much larger population base it fits. Still quite a surprise as like others, I hear the word lynching I immediately think of a black person.

 

I admit to relief if this turns out to be a suicide.

 

I would wager most of the lynchings were against those groups. I highly doubt many WASPs met their end that way.

I am shocked that white people were lynched at a rate of 40% of black people. That is not a statistic I have ever heard. It does make sense when you consider the amount of prejudice against Jews, Catholics, Italians and Irish through the years and with the much larger population base it fits. Still quite a surprise as like others, I hear the word lynching I immediately think of a black person.

 

I admit to relief if this turns out to be a suicide.

 

Assuming JD and I are pulling our statistics from the same source (Charles Chesnutt Digital Archive: Lynching Statistics), I'd be curious to see some more accurate numbers. They give a total number of lynchings in the 86 year time period between 1882 and 1968 as 4,743. They only split that into blacks, representing 72.7% (3,446) of those lynchings and whites, representing the remaining 27.3% (1,297). With as much racial bigotry against their has historically been against Asians, Jews and Native Americans (particularly in the last half of the 19th century and the first 20-30 years of the 20th century), I can't imagine that they wouldn't figure into those lynching figures somewhere.

I would wager most of the lynchings were against those groups. I highly doubt many WASPs met their end that way.

 

Agree...sounds like we're both on the same page there.

I would suspect that being institutionalized for that long may have played a part if it was suicide. A shame.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown, I imagine it would confirm what we suspect. CWB brings up a good point adding Asians and Native Americans into the mix, although my sense is that population was not too big in the states we normally associate with lynchings.

  • Author

I would venture to say that most (but not all) people that were "Lynched" were rightfully or wrongly thought to have committed a crime of some sort. I am in no way condoning even a single lynching, just stating that race was only one of the factors involved.

Edited by Jumper_Dad
Bad Grammar

FBI is now using profilers to help in the case.

Guessing you were present an knew the facts on the nearly 1300 lynching of white men in the US between 1882 and 1968 that are recorded.

 

Guessing you know how many of that 1300 were hung because they were friendly to the negros. Guessing you know how many of them were hung in the south. Guessing you know how many of them were hung in Mississippi.

  • Author
Guessing you know how many of that 1300 were hung because they were friendly to the negros. Guessing you know how many of them were hung in the south. Guessing you know how many of them were hung in Mississippi.
Do you?

 

So you disagree with Jim. Jim said none were hung because they were white but you are surmising that they may have been hung only because they were white and friendly to negros. So being white could get you lynched depending upon your circumstances.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.