Highlands vs Beechwood

My kid goes there, and plays there. If there is a worse field.... I want to know about it. Ask all of the other teams and parents who has the worst field. Its an embarrassment. They are cutting into the field... DURING BASEBALL SEASON.... to make an elementary basketball gym. It was a sad field before, its a sad field now and it will be a worse field when they are done with the elementary gymnasium. Nuf said? Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Ha, ha ... who has the hurt feelings? Sounds like you think the world should stop for the baseball team.

Whether you like it or not ... the school sunk a nice load of money into the field VERY recently. Guess what .. there were other areas where that money would have had more of an impact ... guess what ... we got over it.

It is pretty pathetic that you are whining about how horrible the field is ... when there has been ONE DAY of time put towards working on it (and that isn't necessarily the baseball teams' problem--no mystery that there are HUGE facility issues).

I am up there every single day for a minimum of 4 hours after school ... usually 6 hours. I have no clue who you are ... but I would bet money that I haven't seen you out there ... working on the field this season.

As far as it being baseball season ... whatever. Everyone has to make sacrifices ... one of our track kids sacrificed herself with a hit to her head because the baseball team had to be on the football field to practice. Trust me ... I feel your pain ... but you need to look around a little bit and realize that all of the programs at Beechwood have to make sacrifices.

At least the baseball team, could at one time, play games on the field. Why don't you bring yourself down to the track ... and see if you can drum up any interest in seeing if teams want to come to a track meet on a track that has two 90 degree corners ... and no rubber left from the baseball and softball backstops. Kind of makes you wonder how the track team continues to have a ton of success for a fairly new program.

At the end of the day ... there are other teams at Beechwood who make MUCH LARGER sacrifices EVERY DAY ... and HAVE FOR YEARS ... and will continue to have to make those same sacrifices. Thank goodness the kids at Beechwood embrace this stuff.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choosing a "better" field to play this game is irony at its finest. Cooper owns the worst field in the area, but these two are close second, and I would personally put Highlands field right there with Cooper. It's a dump. Has been, always will be

I'm not a fan of Cooper's field, but my kid has been playing games there for 5 years, and it's certainly not the worst in the area (you could make the argument for the football field though). It's always cold and windy, but it's generally in pretty good shape. Beechwood, Boone, and Meinken are the worst fields in the area.

Choosing a "better" field to play this game is irony at its finest. Cooper owns the worst field in the area, but these two are close second, and I would personally put Highlands field right there with Cooper. It's a dump. Has been, always will be

Why is that? I was under the impression that they've made good progress on the field over the past few years.

Why is that? I was under the impression that they've made good progress on the field over the past few years.

Tremendous improvements. My son played there in the late 2000s and it was ROUGH. I've been ON the field in recent years and it is a LOT better.

I would have to say Meinken was the worst field by far. Beechwood's baseball field decline would probable have something to do with Troy Bertke leaving and heading to Boone, which is why Boone was in the best condition it has been in years. IMO, Boone had the best infield in the district last season and another full season w/ Bertke working on Boone, it will be one of the best in the area. The area around Boone's field isn't as open as a field like Ryle, but beats the corner that Cooper's field is stuck in. Parking is terrible at Cooper for baseball. How many balls are lost at Cooper over in the cow field valley behind the first base dugout?

When is the last time you were at Highlands baseball field?

When is the last time you were at Highlands baseball field?

Last year when they hosted a tripled header with Moeller and CC.

Nothing gets more reaction that when you point out that Highlands may not have the best at everything. Agree on Meinken, that goes without saying and is a travesty. I stand by my opinion on HHS (or Ft Thomas Park, or whatever it is). I have played on it, coached on it, and watched countless games on that field, it is not good.

Nothing gets more reaction that when you point out that Highlands may not have the best at everything. Agree on Meinken, that goes without saying and is a travesty. I stand by my opinion on HHS (or Ft Thomas Park, or whatever it is). I have played on it, coached on it, and watched countless games on that field, it is not good.

Since your opinion seems to be in the minority, including from some VERY knowledgeable baseball people, I'll ask again. What do you see as wrong with the field to call it a dump? Why do you think it will always be a dump?

You are right. Up until recently, last 6 years or so, the FTIS system had some of the worst facilities in the state. It has taken the efforts of a lot of private donors to get the school facilities to where it is now. FTEF is the main one. The baseball field is city property so it is used by just about anyone that wants it. The playing surface infield is very very nice thanks to the efforts of the coaches, players, and parents. As far as the outside the lines go, I agree it is not very appealing. Actually embarrassing really. Especially for a city owned field. That is going to change in the near future. Hopefully after those improvements, everyone that uses it will respect it and take care of it. Then it won't be the "dump" you named it.