Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nell Fookes steps down as Boone County coach

Featured Replies

She told the team tonight shortly before 10 pm in the postgame locker room at NKU's Bank of Kentucky Center after Boone County lost to Highlands in Monday's Ninth Region tournament quarterfinal. She coached the Rebels for 30 years, and won 686 games, third all-time in state history, while coaching in 941. She was like a sister to me during the 19 years I have covered her teams for The Post and The Enquirer, and one of my all-time favorite people. Needless to say, the Boone bench will be a little quieter from now on with Nell gone. But her name will live on, right there on the court at Boone County that was named after her.

I've had the privlege of knowing Nell since my girls varsity coaching days back in the mid-80's.

 

She has always been passionate about the sport, and has been a credit to Boone County High School.

 

I wish she and Dean a very happy and long retirement. Word is they are headed to the Carolinas.

Coaching legend in NKY and Ky for sure. Some hated her style but man did it work.

 

I thought though when I saw the thread something happened. Kinda an injustice to her IMO by the way thread title is stated. Guess maybe it will get more traffic this way.

 

Either way, congrats on a long and great career!

What a coach,as stated a legend for sure, she has touched so many lives, best of luck to Nell and Dean, you will be missed.

Congratulations on an excellent coaching career and more importantly, thank you for your leadership in the lives of those young ladies that you guided.

I have a lot of respect for Coach Nell Fookes (and her husband too). I never played for her or had her as a teacher but I still got to know her very well during my years at Boone. I was wondering when this day would come and it's finally here. Congrats on one helluva career Coach!

Total class act. Both Nell and Dean are two of the nicest coaches anyone could have ever come in contact with. Absolute respect for the way she taught and coached the game. Congratulations on retirement.

Always had her teams prepared and played very hard! Great career and a class act!

I cannot imagine someone who is so passionate about the game stepping down but if anyone knows what to do it is Nell. She has earned the name on the floor and so much more. Good luck Coach.

Been in the NKADA hall of fame since 2005. Congrats on a great career and enjoy retirement.

Attended a coaches clinic one time when she was an instructor and let me tell you, she knows the game and I walked away very impressed and with a great deal of respect for her basketball IQ.

 

Congrats on a fabulous career and wishing her and Coach Dean a wonderful retirement!!

Big shoes to fill. Almost intimidating.

One of the greatest NKY coaches, and the state for that matter, of all time. More importantly a better person with a huge heart. All the best coach

Great coach and person and family! Wish them all the best!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.