Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If the Patriots cheated, they’re hardly alone

Featured Replies

People are saying because of when this occurred it's a huge issue....Say this same thing happened in the Seattle/Green Bay game instead of the Patriots game. Does anyone really think it would've been made into a national story?

 

Yes, but those teams haven't had the same history as the Patriots. If not for past indiscretions it wouldn't have been as big a deal for the Pats. But it still would have been a story.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly! I've already said, if they find the Patriots intentionally broke the rules, punish them. I'm good with that. I'm also of the mind that it was worth it, seeing as they have #4 now.

 

The point I'm trying to make is when other teams break the rules, and even (gasp) win the Super Bowl, because of it, it's swept under the rug by fans and the media as "oh well, no big deal". When the Patriots do something, it's a national headline making story. It reeks of jealousy and hypocrisy.

 

I just want people to admit it. They make it a big deal because it's NE and they don't like them because they're jealous of their success.

As a long time Cowboys fan, I've heard it all. When they were a dynasty to when they couldn't get out of their own way. It comes with the territory, especially while they're winning. One can either grow thicker skin or follow a different team. The hypocrisy/hatred/jealousy oozed from so many people over the years for the Cowboys, I always found it hilarious. Think Highlands in high school football. Welcome aboard. Add to all that, this isn't the Pats first accusation for cheating.

Every team in the NFL is looking for an edge or loophole. The Pats are no different. If they broke a rule, they should be punished. I, however, don't believe they are any worse an offender than any other team. They are scrutinized by others because they are the Pats and there is a media following for them probably like no other team,so they are a big story.

 

I believe most teams will do whatever is necessary to win, because I will bet the reward outweighs the risk. When you are a team that just pounds other teams and never lets off the pedal, well others will rat them out.

 

It doesn't make it right nor does it mean the NFL executives are not doing their job. They can only investigate what is reported or what they observe. I don't think the Pats will get preferential treatment, nor do I think any team will. I question the NFL's diligence in seeking the cheater or turning the other cheek, but not their handling after it completes the investigation or become aware.

 

They don't need to micro manage, like the NCAA, which is totally out of control.

So, can we officially start referring to John Elway and the Denver Broncos as 2** time Super Bowl Champions?

 

Funny how that never comes up when discussing either of them. :idunno:

 

What happened with the Broncos and Elway during those years? I really never heard about this?

  • Author
What happened with the Broncos and Elway during those years? I really never heard about this?

 

Apparently no asterisks.

What happened with the Broncos and Elway during those years? I really never heard about this?

 

From a release on the issue I found:

 

The violations included agreements between the team and several players to defer salary payments with interest and an agreement not to waive a player before a certain date. Both raised issues with accounting for the salary cap.

Remember when Denver Cheated?

 

After winning Super Bowls in 1997 and 1998, the Broncos were found just a few years later to have circumvented the league’s salary cap to the tune of $29 million in deferred payments to John Elway and running back Terrell Davis.

  • Author
Remember when Denver Cheated?

 

After winning Super Bowls in 1997 and 1998, the Broncos were found just a few years later to have circumvented the league’s salary cap to the tune of $29 million in deferred payments to John Elway and running back Terrell Davis.

 

That shouldn't be an asterisk, they should have to vacate the win.

 

In short, the NFL isn't going to put an asterisk by the Pats win this year because it will be opening Pandora's box of inconsistency, hypocrisy and corruption.

That shouldn't be an asterisk, they should have to vacate the win.

 

In short, the NFL isn't going to put an asterisk by the Pats win this year because it will be opening Pandora's box of inconsistency, hypocrisy and corruption.

 

I agree.

 

To me, and obviously I'm biased, that's a far more egregious infraction than deflating a couple footballs or video-taping a practice. :idunno:

  • Author
I agree.

 

To me, and obviously I'm biased, that's a far more egregious infraction than deflating a couple footballs or video-taping a practice. :idunno:

 

Agree, not even in the same Universe.

If the Pats cheated, punish them, but the point we all need to understand is cheating is rampant in the NFL.

 

 

And in society in general... unfortunately. We are a society of cheaters!

Remember when Denver Cheated?

 

After winning Super Bowls in 1997 and 1998, the Broncos were found just a few years later to have circumvented the league’s salary cap to the tune of $29 million in deferred payments to John Elway and running back Terrell Davis.

 

But from what I read the Broncos were caught before it happened and had to count 75% of the money against that years caps based on a decision by the Commish. They were also fined $1,000,000 and lost a 3rd round pick.

 

Although disappointed and confused by the ruling, Denver Coach Mike Shanahan said Wednesday the Broncos will abide by an NFL decision that will cost the team a third-round draft choice and a fine of nearly $1 million.

 

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue found the Broncos guilty of violating guidelines under the league's deferred compensation fund.

 

The team was fined $305,000 and ordered to pay $663,000 in interest on money the team failed to submit in a timely fashion to the league's deferred compensation fund during a two-year period (1998-99).

 

According to The Denver Post, the dispute dates to March 2000, when the Broncos were hoping to defer multimillion-dollar payments to running back Terrell Davis and former quarterback John Elway. The players agreed to the deferments, but Tagliabue ruled that 75 percent of the deferred money in the contracts had to be funded immediately.

^They weren't caught until a few years after the fact.

 

OK I may have mis-read it.

I've always seen that... but the corruption I mostly see has little to do with playing on the field and usually has to do with the guy sitting in the owners' box.

 

There are very few groups of people I like less than NFL owners...some of the greediest people in the USA...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.