Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 2015

Featured Replies

 

So you are trying to tell me that 2 kids that have not played baseball in the last several years have a chance to make the team over juniors that have been a part of the program for the last 3 to 4 years? If that happens, you may see a mass exodus from the program. I would sure hope that junior or younger kids would not be pushed aside for two kids that did not want to be a part of the program until they were seniors. I will be sure to stay tuned to these developments.

It sounds like EVERYONE will be working hard to earn a spot wherever they can get it. My bet is that only the strongest and/or most talented will survive. Field the best team you can field. Varsity is boss and JV players will need to fight to get moved up. Injuries, slumps, and breakout performances will determine the Varsity roster on any given week. Let the revolving door games begin.

  • Replies 166
  • Views 39.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
So you are trying to tell me that 2 kids that have not played baseball in the last several years have a chance to make the team over juniors that have been a part of the program for the last 3 to 4 years? If that happens, you may see a mass exodus from the program. I would sure hope that junior or younger kids would not be pushed aside for two kids that did not want to be a part of the program until they were seniors. I will be sure to stay tuned to these developments.

 

Yes, as I sit here in Cleveland without having any clue how they are doing at tryouts, I think they have a chance. They looked the part in the 1 hour or so workout I watched. So, based on that short sample size, yes IMO (with emphasis on IMO) they have a chance. Now does that chance equate to 10%, 50%, 100%, I have no idea.

 

You keep beating this drum about juniors leaving. You did it all the way back in May, and you were called out on it then.

 

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-baseball-high/highlands-6-ryle-278059-page2.html

 

In short, if you can contribute, you play. If Juniors (or for that matter, any class) can contribute on the varsity, I believe (IMO) they'll play on the varsity. And, my opinion is solely based on what I've seen since 2012 where younger players have played over older ones.

 

Moreover, not only do younger kids start over upperclassmen, starting out with the JV does not mean that a kid stays there. To that end, I can cite Allen in 2012, Ramey in 2013, and Raisor in 2014 as specific examples of kids who started on the JV at the beginning of the season who ended up playing key roles on the varsity. Heck, Beal did not spend a day on the varsity last year and ended up being the courtesy runner during the post-season (and did an outstanding job).

Yes, as I sit here in Cleveland without having any clue how they are doing at tryouts, I think they have a chance. They looked the part in the 1 hour or so workout I watched. So, based on that short sample size, yes IMO (with emphasis on IMO) they have a chance. Now does that chance equate to 10%, 50%, 100%, I have no idea.

 

You keep beating this drum about juniors leaving. You did it all the way back in May, and you were called out on it then.

 

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-baseball-high/highlands-6-ryle-278059-page2.html

 

In short, if you can contribute, you play. If Juniors (or for that matter, any class) can contribute on the varsity, I believe (IMO) they'll play on the varsity. And, my opinion is solely based on what I've seen since 2012 where younger players have played over older ones.

 

Moreover, not only do younger kids start over upperclassmen, starting out with the JV does not mean that a kid stays there. To that end, I can cite Allen in 2012, Ramey in 2013, and Raisor in 2014 as specific examples of kids who started on the JV at the beginning of the season who ended up playing key roles on the varsity. Heck, Beal did not spend a day on the varsity last year and ended up being the courtesy runner during the post-season (and did an outstanding job).

 

Has there not already been a mass exodus from the junior class already? My understanding that several kids that were part of the championship team have chosen not to return? Is that true, I do not know the answer.

 

I do agree with Running with Scissors in that whomever is not getting the job done at the Varsity level had better be looking over their shoulder for someone to take their spot.

  • Author
Has there not already been a mass exodus from the junior class already? My understanding that several kids that were part of the championship team have chosen not to return? Is that true, I do not know the answer.

 

I do agree with Running with Scissors in that whomever is not getting the job done at the Varsity level had better be looking over their shoulder for someone to take their spot.

 

I am not aware of any mass exodus. If you can play, you'll play, and I cited many examples of boys who played over upperclassmen (although someone pointed out to me that Allen was in 2011). My point still stands.

Then it must have been talk around the water cooler then. I had been told that there were 7 or so kids that were on the JV team last year that were not returning this year. Again, may have just been rumor. Agree with everything you say about the best should play regardless of class, but then there should not be discussion that there are only 2 to 4 spots available on the varsity level IMO.

Sounds like there are going to be some very difficult decisions for the coaches as well as some disappointed kids. My how the program has come a long way.

So you are trying to tell me that 2 kids that have not played baseball in the last several years have a chance to make the team over juniors that have been a part of the program for the last 3 to 4 years? If that happens, you may see a mass exodus from the program. I would sure hope that junior or younger kids would not be pushed aside for two kids that did not want to be a part of the program until they were seniors. I will be sure to stay tuned to these developments.

 

 

As I applaud the continued interest and loyalty of the kids that have played baseball consistently, it does not and should not trump a kid that may be a better baseball player that could help Highlands win a State Championship.

 

How many yrs a kid chooses to play baseball should have nothing to do with him making a roster or playing imo...that sorta screams entitlement and you will not succeed playing this game.

 

Is it right?, well I guess not if a kid has been working hard waiting his turn etc, but Dale didn't win multiple Championships playing kids because it was their turn, he played the best regardless of their age...This is a new problem that Baioni has that he has not had in the past and he will certainly have some very tough decisions to make and if there is a mass exodus then that is too bad imo :thumb:

 

With all this said, this could be why we don't have a roster yet...

As I applaud the continued interest and loyalty of the kids that have played baseball consistently, it does not and should not trump a kid that may be a better baseball player that could help Highlands win a State Championship.

 

How many yrs a kid chooses to play baseball should have nothing to do with him making a roster or playing imo...that sorta screams entitlement and you will not succeed playing this game.

 

Is it right?, well I guess not if a kid has been working hard waiting his turn etc, but Dale didn't win multiple Championships playing kids because it was their turn, he played the best regardless of their age...This is a new problem that Baioni has that he has not had in the past and he will certainly have some very tough decisions to make and if there is a mass exodus then that is too bad imo :thumb:

 

With all this said, this could be why we don't have a roster yet...

 

Agree with Sweep.

 

Best players should make the team period, regardless of class. If a kid takes a year or two or four off and can make an impact then he should play. I agree with others that it may be a bit more difficult in baseball though.

 

Heck I know one current Highlands senior who came back to football after a 2 year hiatus and made an immediate and meaningful impact this past season. If he replaced a junior or other senior who felt he was bypassed because of his decision to play then so be it.

 

Everyone doesn't get a trophy.

 

Go Birds.

"Entitlement" that is an interesting choice of words. Sure seems like one could turn that around the other way correct? Just because you are a senior and have been a part of the program for xx years, does that mean that your spot in the starting lineup is safe? I ask this because all we have heard since last season is that there are limited spots available on the varsity roster. Well if the "best" will play, then all positions are open for the taking I would presume. Lets not forget that JV and Frosh won the region tourney last year and the frosh actually won it 2 years ago as well so there is obviously some talent in those classes.

 

In the end, it really does not matter what anyone thinks because the coaches know what they are doing and what the ultimate goal is for them and I have confidence that they are going to do what is best for the team and the program as a whole. Actually think this years team has the chance to make a nice run in the postseason if they perform as they have proven they can do in the past several years.

Do we have a Roster yet?

Ok JFP, this is what I can see from these threads. There may be a few that are wrong class, and a few that may not be trying out. Maybe JOAT can help with that. So go ahead and pick 18 for Varsity roster. See if you can play JB for cut day. Good luck!

 

Hennigan Sr

Whitford Sr

Ramey Sr

Martin Sr

Mills Sr

Ball Sr

Murray Sr

Venneman Sr

Jones Sr

Martin Sr

Bunning Sr

Noe Sr

Ball Sr

Heck Sr

Schoepf Sr

Orne Sr

Raisor Jr

Mark Walkenhorst Jr

Austin Mayhew Jr

Conner Kreeger Jr

Jared Dougherty Jr

Austin Beal Jr

Eric Miller Jr

Conner Welsch Jr

Ricky Raisor Jr

Trent Casebolt Jr

Elijah Miller Cox Jr

Evan Ling Jr

John Penrod Jr

Brad Broering Jr

Ethan Doty Soph

Ok JFP, this is what I can see from these threads. There may be a few that are wrong class, and a few that may not be trying out. Maybe JOAT can help with that. So go ahead and pick 18 for Varsity roster. See if you can play JB for cut day. Good luck!

 

Hennigan Sr

Whitford Sr

Ramey Sr

Martin Sr

Mills Sr

Ball Sr

Murray Sr

Venneman Sr

Jones Sr

Martin Sr

Bunning Sr

Noe Sr

Ball Sr

Heck Sr

Schoepf Sr

Orne Sr

Raisor Jr

Mark Walkenhorst Jr

Austin Mayhew Jr

Conner Kreeger Jr

Jared Dougherty Jr

Austin Beal Jr

Eric Miller Jr

Conner Welsch Jr

Ricky Raisor Jr

Trent Casebolt Jr

Elijah Miller Cox Jr

Evan Ling Jr

John Penrod Jr

Brad Broering Jr

Ethan Doty Soph

 

:thumb:

Ok JFP, this is what I can see from these threads. There may be a few that are wrong class, and a few that may not be trying out. Maybe JOAT can help with that. So go ahead and pick 18 for Varsity roster. See if you can play JB for cut day. Good luck!

 

Hennigan Sr

Whitford Sr

Ramey Sr

Martin Sr

Mills Sr

Ball Sr

Murray Sr

Venneman Sr

Jones Sr

Martin Sr

Bunning Sr

Noe Sr

Ball Sr

Heck Sr

Schoepf Sr

Orne Sr

Raisor Jr

Mark Walkenhorst Jr

Austin Mayhew Jr

Conner Kreeger Jr

Jared Dougherty Jr

Austin Beal Jr

Eric Miller Jr

Conner Welsch Jr

Ricky Raisor Jr

Trent Casebolt Jr

Elijah Miller Cox Jr

Evan Ling Jr

John Penrod Jr

Brad Broering Jr

Ethan Doty Soph

 

Here is a little help for ya tdy. Raisor on there twice. Miller not trying out from what I am told. Same goes for Welsch, Ling and Penrod I believe. That is 4 juniors not returning. I do not see Cain on your list or Rust. Not sure on Broering either. Where is Lindeman? If Cain, Broering and Lindeman are not returning then there are your 7 juniors that are not returning to the program, some of which have played since they were in the 8th grade.

!6 Srs is a lot BUT.......it beats what Baoni inherited when he started. The days of 4 Srs. are over. This looks like the roster of teams that compete for championships, lots of JRs & Srs !

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.