Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Did the Patriots Use Deflated Footballs in AFC Championship Game?

Featured Replies

Where did I say it was a coincidence? I simply said if they can't prove anything, they can't do anything to them.

 

Something happened to the balls clearly. However, a group of MIT scientists said that it's completely plausible to think that the elements caused the pressure change. I'd imagine they have a better grasp on that kinda stuff than you or I.

 

I'm not biased because I don't care if they cheated or not. If they cheated, cool. If they didn't, that's cool too. Just like I don't care if a dude juices in baseball, I don't care if players/teams cheat in the NFL, I just don't. It doesn't take away from my fandom nor does it limit the amount of enjoyment I get out of watching the sport.

 

I think most in this case are erring more on the side of likeliness over plausibility. But I guess plausibility can prevail minus a smoking gun.

  • Replies 303
  • Views 39.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did I say it was a coincidence? I simply said if they can't prove anything, they can't do anything to them.

 

Something happened to the balls clearly. However, a group of MIT scientists said that it's completely plausible to think that the elements caused the pressure change. I'd imagine they have a better grasp on that kinda stuff than you or I.

 

I'm not biased because I don't care if they cheated or not. If they cheated, cool. If they didn't, that's cool too. Just like I don't care if a dude juices in baseball, I don't care if players/teams cheat in the NFL, I just don't. It doesn't take away from my fandom nor does it limit the amount of enjoyment I get out of watching the sport.

 

Did those scientists explain why only the Pats balls were under inflated?

 

I don't care either, especially since it's football. The NFL could go away and I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep over it. However, Kraft comes off as an arrogant, pompous jackwagon like his head coach. The NFL owes the Pats nothing but a punishment.

I think most in this case are erring more on the side of likeliness over plausibility. But I guess plausibility can prevail minus a smoking gun.

 

Probably correct, but what can the NFL do without proof, especially against Kraft?

Did those scientists explain why only the Pats balls were under inflated?

 

I don't care either, especially since it's football. The NFL could go away and I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep over it. However, Kraft comes off as an arrogant, pompous jackwagon like his head coach. The NFL owes the Pats nothing but a punishment.

 

Kraft is the most powerful man in the sport. He has more sway, and more power than the commissioner. One wrong move by Goodell, and things could go very very poorly for him going forward.

 

Again I'll ask, what can the NFL do without proof?

Sharp Football Analysis

 

I'm a believer in the deflating of football makes it harder to fumble the ball, easier to catch the ball, and enables one to throw the ball farther. This article I have skimmed through goes over statistics showing how little the Pats have fumbled since 2006.

 

Remember when BenJarvus Green-Ellis spent his entire career in New England 2008-2011 and never once fumbled the football? Then he comes to the Bengals and fumbled 3 times in 2012 and 2 times in 2013?

 

Food for thought...

 

That is interesting and gets to my original point. People keep referencing one game and it could be much bigger than that. Nothing is really provable though. It just throws fuel to the fire for anti-Patriot folks. I think they are 1 of 32 that dabble in shady tactics.

Did those scientists explain why only the Pats balls were under inflated?

 

I don't care either, especially since it's football. The NFL could go away and I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep over it. However, Kraft comes off as an arrogant, pompous jackwagon like his head coach. The NFL owes the Pats nothing but a punishment.

 

Until the NFL can prove that someone intentionally deflated the balls for a competitive advantage, there is no punishment to be handed down, regardless of how much the Anti-Brady/Belichick/Kraft folks want there to be...

Did those scientists explain why only the Pats balls were under inflated?

 

I don't care either, especially since it's football. The NFL could go away and I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep over it. However, Kraft comes off as an arrogant, pompous jackwagon like his head coach. The NFL owes the Pats nothing but a punishment.

 

Could it be that the Patriots originally had their footballs inflated to the minimum legal level and the Colts had theirs inflated higher? If that were the case and the elements caused both to lose some inflation the Patriots footballs would slip below the legal level. I know that Aaron Rodgers said he prefers the footballs inflated as much as allowed--maybe Luck is the same way?

Sharp Football Analysis

 

I'm a believer in the deflating of football makes it harder to fumble the ball, easier to catch the ball, and enables one to throw the ball farther. This article I have skimmed through goes over statistics showing how little the Pats have fumbled since 2006.

 

You're wrong there.

In fairness to the NFL, they were asked to investigate this and have every right to do so based upon the deflated balls. I am not sure what Kraft's beef is? The media is the one that has picked up this story and ran with it for 8 days now. Had the NFL been presented with the deflated balls and turned a blind eye, you got Ray Rice part II, sort of.

 

With Goodell and Kraft being as cozy as they are, it would not shock me if his remarks were calculated as a response to guys like Richard Sherman.

Could it be that the Patriots originally had their footballs inflated to the minimum legal level and the Colts had theirs inflated higher? If that were the case and the elements caused both to lose some inflation the Patriots footballs would slip below the legal level. I know that Aaron Rodgers said he prefers the footballs inflated as much as allowed--maybe Luck is the same way?

 

That, and potentially the Patriots intentionally left theirs exposed to the elements, while the Colts kept theirs in a more controlled environment?

 

There's definitely plausible explanations as to how it could've happened by natural means.

Kraft is the most powerful man in the sport. He has more sway, and more power than the commissioner. One wrong move by Goodell, and things could go very very poorly for him going forward.

 

Again I'll ask, what can the NFL do without proof?

 

You mean one more???

 

This isn't a court of law. The NFL doesn't need proof beyond a reasonable doubt. All but one of their balls was under inflated, they had the opportunity to manipulate them, they clearly didn't have a problem with it because they weren't complaining from the start. Like Bugatti said, no smoking gun but anyone can see they had a hand in it.

 

Does anyone really think that if Tom Brady didn't want the balls under inflated he wouldn't have insisted on them pumping them up prior to the start of the game? He warms up, right?

Could it be that the Patriots originally had their footballs inflated to the minimum legal level and the Colts had theirs inflated higher? If that were the case and the elements caused both to lose some inflation the Patriots footballs would slip below the legal level. I know that Aaron Rodgers said he prefers the footballs inflated as much as allowed--maybe Luck is the same way?

 

Possible, plausible, all of that.... sure. Likely? No. I would say highly unlikely. This is not a court of law in trying to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, so I feel pretty confident in saying they were doctored. But nothing can be proven, that part I understand. Still not sure if it has any bearing on some kind of punishment being handed down?

Ha, two "beyond a reasonable doubt" posts in a row. Great minds....

You mean one more???

 

This isn't a court of law. The NFL doesn't need proof beyond a reasonable doubt. All but one of their balls was under inflated, they had the opportunity to manipulate them, they clearly didn't have a problem with it because they weren't complaining from the start. Like Bugatti said, no smoking gun but anyone can see they had a hand in it.

 

Does anyone really think that if Tom Brady didn't want the balls under inflated he wouldn't have insisted on them pumping them up prior to the start of the game? He warms up, right?

 

Right, and without any proof, any punishment would be turned over in the appeals process in the blink of an eye, and Goodell would potentially be on his way out (finally). I feel it was a very calculated move by Kraft. Basically telling Goodell "you better be sure you've got something before you come at us".

 

"You come at the king, you best not miss"...

Right, and without any proof, any punishment would be turned over in the appeals process in the blink of an eye, and Goodell would potentially be on his way out (finally). I feel it was a very calculated move by Kraft. Basically telling Goodell "you better be sure you've got something before you come at us".

 

"You come at the king, you best not miss"...

That part is what I am hazy about. I get there is no proof they altered the footballs. And maybe they didn't. But it is still their responsibility to ensure they are in compliance. Kind of like when someone pleads ignorance, one can still be punished. Maybe not as severely.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.