Beechwood 55 Boone County 52

A good win against a pretty good team. Proud of the Tigers tonight.

Jacob Huff joins the Beechwood 1,000 point club with two free throws late in the 2nd Quarter. Ended up with 23 points.

Stats available: CybersportsUSA.com | Webgame

Good Win???? That is a fantastic win for the Beechies!!!!!

I'm willing to bet (I've been wrong before) that this is the biggest win in that program's history since they beat CovCath in the District Tournament a few years back.

Congrats to the Red and White Tigers!!!

Good Win???? That is a fantastic win for the Beechies!!!!!

I'm willing to bet (I've been wrong before) that this is the biggest win in that program's history since they beat CovCath in the District Tournament a few years back.

Congrats to the Red and White Tigers!!!

Pretty sure they beat Boone that same year.

Congrats to my guy Erik Goetz and the Tigers!

It was sure a fun night to be a Beechwood Tiger fan. The basketball wasn't the prettiest but for Tiger fans the end result was pretty. Any time you get a win over one of the top 5 basketball programs in the 9th region, you have to be excited. Here are highlights of the night.

- The night got off to a great start with one of the best national anthem renditions heard in a long time on any level. Beechwood music teacher Alyssa Vanderpool's performance of the anthem had the fans applauding, cheering, and remaining standing like I can never recall in a high school event or anywhere else for that matter. Well done!!

- Beechwood started fast and stayed in control of the game the entire night. Beechwood maintained a lead through almost the entire game but never had a lead of more than 9 points if I recall correctly. Key 3 point shooting, excellent defense and a good job rebounding that limited second chance baskets by Boone County were the keys to the win for Beechwood. Also, poise in the fourth quarter withstanding Boone County's rally to win and then hitting their free throws in the last couple minutes got Beechwood a victory despite trouble with turnovers.

- Beechwood's Jacob Huff had a nice night hitting 3's early and then mixing in drives to the basket as the game went on. Congratulations to him on achieving the 1,000 point milestone. A nice ovation and presentation of the game ball to Huff when he scored point 1,000 in the second quarter.

- Conner Brock hit several big 3 pointers for Beechwood.

- JT Toebbe played great defense all night, blocking shots and cloggin up the middle making it very tough for Boone and Junior Stockwell to get any inside points at all. Toebbe also hit several free throws in the last two minutes to keep Beechwood ahead.

- For Boone, Brendan Stanley did all he could to carry Boone to a win. He is faster and more impressive than I remember him. He almost single handedly got Boone the win with his efforts in the fourth quarter, making several big steals on defense and scoring on drives and jumpers. I think Boone should have done more to get him the ball in the last two minutes. I don't remember him getting any shots in the half court offense at the end of the game.

- Junior Stockwell was surrounded all night by the Beechwood 3-2 zone and got very few touches inside. The Boone offense and Junior should have worked a little harder to get the ball. If they would have attacked inside and got Toebbe in foul trouble, it would have made a huge difference in the game.

- Finally, I have to note a nice gesture by Boone County and Coach Todd Downs in the JV game. With about one minute left and the game clearly going to be won by Boone County, Beechwood JV coach Andre McClendon called timeout and approached Coach Downs. At that point, Beechwood inserted their team assistant and waterboy, Miles Laird into the game. Miles is a challenged student at Beechwood. Both teams then participated in a special moment when the ball was put into play and Miles was able to score a basket in live action. Nicely done by the players, Boone County's coach Downs and certainly by Beechwood's coach Andre McClendon for making this happen. And especially well done by Miles Laird by making the basket to get his name in the scorebook.

As I said, a fun night at Beechwood.

Edited by EyeOfTheTiger