Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trace Young 6'7" Sophomore Ohio County

Featured Replies

KHSAA can investigate all they want. This isnt a case of a school "going out and getting someone". Its the case of a kid who isnt fitting into a program for reasons that will be left unsaid. Trace is being recruited by a lot of major division 1 colleges and his future is much more important that high school politics. If he or Apollo wanted each other for reasons other than this, i believe they would have found each other in the summer as opposed to 3 weeks into the season.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if he truly had his choice, he would have rather it worked out with Ohio County but when youre talking about a kid thats being recruited on the level he is, you dont have time to mess around.

 

Its 30 minutes down the Natcher Parkway from Owensboro; recruiters don't know how to get to Ohio County? Anthony Davis's high school team was like 6-19 his last year. If the kid can play, he'll get recruited. And aren't most recruits evaluated more thoroughly during the summer AAU circuit?

Khsaa should investigate, but they won't. They'll let it slide like they do everything. Just gives more power to those schools to go after the best players who are on struggling teams. Its a shame, this is high school, not the NCAA.

 

Last I saw every transfer is investigated and before a kid can step on the practice court he/she has to deemed eligible by the KHSAA. More often than not people simply don't like what the KHSAA finds or couldn't find.

Its 30 minutes down the Natcher Parkway from Owensboro; recruiters don't know how to get to Ohio County? Anthony Davis's high school team was like 6-19 his last year. If the kid can play, he'll get recruited. And aren't most recruits evaluated more thoroughly during the summer AAU circuit?

 

It'll be interesting to see what the khsaa decides. I think it'll come down to what Ohio County decides to say to the khsaa concerning Traces situation there.

 

:popcorn:

Its 30 minutes down the Natcher Parkway from Owensboro; recruiters don't know how to get to Ohio County? Anthony Davis's high school team was like 6-19 his last year. If the kid can play, he'll get recruited. And aren't most recruits evaluated more thoroughly during the summer AAU circuit?

 

In all fairness Anthony Davis was in Chicago. I still don't know what the county seat of Ohio County is or where Ohio County is located.

 

I do think college recruiters use AAU for finding players more these days than in the past. It seems like college recruiters are more apt to come watch a school team practice than watch a game. Playing alongside Eli Wright, if you can play then some college coaches will see you at some point.

It'll be interesting to see what the khsaa decides. I think it'll come down to what Ohio County decides to say to the khsaa concerning Traces situation there.

 

:popcorn:

 

Even if they rule against his eligibility he'll still be eligible to play at this time next season.

Even if they rule against his eligibility he'll still be eligible to play at this time next season.
.

That is fine if he sits, that's why the NCAA has the rules it does, to not allow buddying up by summer team players via transfer. What ever happened to school and community pride? I enjoyed playing with the kids I grew up with, not jumping ship.

  • Author

It'll be hard for the KHSAA to keep him off the court if Young and his family have really moved to Owensboro. I really expect the young man to be playing in January. The state of KY is finally catching up with the times on this transfer thing. Not saying it's good or bad but other states have been dealing with this for decades.

.

That is fine if he sits, that's why the NCAA has the rules it does, to not allow buddying up by summer team players via transfer. What ever happened to school and community pride? I enjoyed playing with the kids I grew up with, not jumping ship.

 

The rules have changed in the last 10 years let alone when I was a kid. Once someone joins the school and community I live in as long as they are an upstanding and respectful citizen then they are welcomed with open arms.

It'll be hard for the KHSAA to keep him off the court if Young and his family have really moved to Owensboro. I really expect the young man to be playing in January. The state of KY is finally catching up with the times on this transfer thing. Not saying it's good or bad but other states have been dealing with this for decades.

 

I've always been a huge "let them play" advocate. Especially if the family moves. I don't see how a transfer can ever be denied or even scrutinized when the whole family moves.

A good friend of mine works at Apollo. FWIW, he has told me that Young and a sibling have enrolled at Apollo. The family has / is moving to Owensboro. Seems like a legitimate transfer to me.

A good friend of mine works at Apollo. FWIW, he has told me that Young and a sibling have enrolled at Apollo. The family has / is moving to Owensboro. Seems like a legitimate transfer to me.

 

If they enrolled before they moved then they could have trouble being ruled eligible.

Its 30 minutes down the Natcher Parkway from Owensboro; recruiters don't know how to get to Ohio County? Anthony Davis's high school team was like 6-19 his last year. If the kid can play, he'll get recruited. And aren't most recruits evaluated more thoroughly during the summer AAU circuit?

 

I didnt mean he wouldnt be as recruited at Ohio County as he would be at Apollo. I'm saying his problems at Ohio County that are preventing him from being on the floor and that is hurting his recruitment. Ive been told a lot of D1 coaches are asking whats going on with him and starting to wonder if the kid is a problem. If you feel issues within a school are hurting a kids chances to get a free ride to college, then what do you do as a parent? I cant claim to know all the details or both sides of the situation but what i do know is that Apollo wasn't out there beating the bushes for the kid. I know that for a fact.

 

As for being eligible this year, we will see. I can see it both ways. I dont have all of the facts so i will let the KHSAA decide the right thing to do here.

 

Lastly, its easy to sit back and judge the situation from a far. Everyone assumes this is a move a kid is making to play for a school to build some sort of super team and i guess thats fair to think that. The fact is, no one has all of the facts of what really is going on or what went on behind the scenes in Ohio County. Ill give the kid the benefit of the doubt and see how the situation plays out.

I know of other situations where if he enrolled before the move then he'll have lots of trouble. Also Ohio County might not release him right away. Khsaa also is slow about getting paperwork back I've heard, so I'd bet he doesn't play til after Valentines day at best. I do not believe Apollo was out recruiting, but nowadays with kids all knowing each other, I don't doubt there were kids telling him to come to Apollo. But a school can't control that. I'm always intrigued by these situations to see if they really work out. In football I've seen kids bounce from school to school never really working out. Also would Apollo be Ok with Wright and Young transferring after this season, or their best football players transferring to DC, OHS or OCath? If the shoe was on the other foot would there be an outcry by Apollo fans? Just a hypothetical.

  • Author

I know this year Owensboro's best Wide Receiver, who had 100+ yards and 2 TD's in the state title game vs Highlands, transferred from Apollo his Senior year. One of Apollo's better Sophmore football players transferred to OHS too. It happens pretty regularly in Owensboro/Daviess Co. Most of the time it's just regular students that no one even mentions though. But just a couple more examples. Owensboro Catholic got a football transfer from Owensboro. Kid a had a really good season for the Aces at WR. Daviess Co has one of the better Point Guards, I think in the state, who transferred from Owensboro. Apollo has gotten kids from the Owensboro school system too(Eli Wright). Just the way it seems to be now.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.