Christmas Eve?

nWo

A word to those who maybe traveling on Christmas Eve. It seems that there maybe a snow storm brewing for most if not all of Kentucky. Now please note, it is nearly impossible this far out to predict any snowfall accumulations. Also there is a possibility that the storm may not form or be as potent. We'll just have to keep an eye on the situation. I will, as always, post updates when the information warrants it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A word to those who maybe traveling on Christmas Eve. It seems that there maybe a snow storm brewing for most if not all of Kentucky. Now please note, it is nearly impossible this far out to predict any snowfall accumulations. Also there is a possibility that the storm may not form or be as potent. We'll just have to keep an eye on the situation. I will, as always, post updates when the information warrants it.

Any recommendations for Santa?

I will be looking for your updates. We always go to Morgan Co Christmas Eve.

Any recommendations for Santa?

Make sure Rudolph's nose is cleaned so it will glow bright for him.

Any idea if the system will arrive late on the 23rd...or is it looking like it's bound to show up ON the 24th?

I hesitate to make a prediction on the timing this far out. Has everyone heard about the plane that hit the bad turbulence over Japan recently? Well the system that caused that is going to affect our weather. It is going to cause a dip in the jet stream sometime on the 23rd. This will allow cold air from Canada to rush down into our neck of the woods. The a second system will pass close to us that may give us the snow accumulation.

Still a week out and the way Cincinnati weather people predict it will be just rain. Every time they say 8-10 inches we end up with a dusting.

I don't go by any other weather people. I make my own predictions or outlooks. This far out anyone making a prediction is foolhardy.

Here's a few outlooks for Christmas Eve:

This is from the emcwf model showing the trough that is going to dip down into our area. Showing the temps Wednesday at 0800 Wednesday morning in the mid to upper 20's

ecmwf_500p_6d.gif

This is the percentage chance of precip centered around the same time

DAY6_POP_filled.gif

This is from the gfs model showing the possible storm system around 2000 hrs Wednesday evening.

gfs_pres_5e.gif

Please remember we are still a little less than a week away and I look for these model to go back and forth on the position and intensity. We should start getting a good handle by Monday. Maybe then I'll start posting any snowfall accumulation possibilities then.