Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

No Indictment in Ferguson Case

Featured Replies

 

Here's what this means to me: the cop not facing charges shows how reluctant everyone is about charging officers. I'm sure people are mad about that and they have a right to be. I know IA investigations and the like can be tough on officers, but instances like this show that they can also give the appearance that they are sometimes quite friendly to them as well.

 

On another level, and I've said this before, this isn't a national story because it's not really like there's a history of black officers shooting white kids and getting away with it, in, of all places, Alabama. It probably doesn't get the same amount of traction because there aren't tons of relatable cases that pop into people's minds when hearing about this, at least not like it is for black males considering Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, etc. If this was the third or fourth white male who was killed by a black officer under questionable circumstances, then I'd be much more inclined to agree with you.

 

Justice should be colorblind and apply equally to all, but I think it's fair to say that it's also quite a stretch to find an isolated case with the circumstances of the one in Alabama and use it as justification that there's a problem that, at least to some, is of epidemic porportions when you look at them on a macro scale and from a perspective of institutionalization.

 

Oh yea, and people who are using this and saying that Michael Brown was the spawn of Satan for having marijuana in his system are conveniently looking over the fact that the white kid in Bama was apparently under the influence of LSD.

  • Replies 886
  • Views 61.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw the video, I don't think there is anything to be outraged over.

 

 

 

I remember there being a thread about this. I understand the officer being scared because of the erratic behavior of the kid. I do think that the officer should share some blame in the shooting and would likely lose a civil suit however. This was the case where the 140 pound kid showed up naked and started beating on the glass at a university police station, right? The officer had access to a baton, pepper spray and tasers but instead went out with only his gun and when the suspect continued to approach him shot and killed him. There were also other officers in the station that could have backed him up if he'd have asked for it. To me this was a much worse shooting (taking race out of it) than the Michael Brown shooting. In this case the officer contributed to putting himself in a bad spot and then justifiably shot the suspect when he felt he had no choice. To me this falls into the just because it was justified doesn't mean it was necessary range. Given what we have learned about the Brown shooting I don't think it necessarily does.

Nah, the whole Brown v. Board, Emmitt Till, and Rosa Parks things in the mid to late 50's, the National Guard having to be called in to take black students into colleges, the whole Selma thing in the 60's, the National Voting Rights Act of '65, Loving v. Virginia in 1967, the assination of Martin Luther King and Fair Housing Act in 1968, none of those were oppression or symptoms thereof, just a group of people trying to do the right thing?

 

I hope you can see where I'm coming from. It's 2014, and there are plenty of people still living who lived through those, so to facilitate intelligent debate, maybe it'd be a nice start if you tried not insulting what they or their parents lived through with dismissive comments. If you even really have to ask someone over 50-55 years old that question, then it should probably tell you something.

 

I think you did not read my question very close. I am not good with you trying to slip exactly what I asked. Let me ask one more time.

 

Has anyone here in this forum that is black been personally oppressed by a white person? And if so how and by who? I don't need some long dissertation from you Joker to by pass the question.

I think you did not read my question very close. I am not good with you trying to slip exactly what I asked. Let me ask one more time.

 

Has anyone here in this forum that is black been personally oppressed by a white person? And if so how and by who? I don't need some long dissertation from you Joker to by pass the question.

 

I don't think I have been but I need to know what qualifies as "oppressed" to answer it accurately. I don't think I am old enough to have experienced being "oppressed". I know my father has been "oppressed". He just turned 67.

I think you did not read my question very close. I am not good with you trying to slip exactly what I asked. Let me ask one more time.

 

Has anyone here in this forum that is black been personally oppressed by a white person? And if so how and by who? I don't need some long dissertation from you Joker to by pass the question.

 

 

I don't think you understand the underlying concept of my post-- like at all, so I'm not going to bother with a "dissertation". Further, you seem to be the one trying to "slip" things in.

 

 

#1. So BGP's responses are suddenly representative of the entirely population?

 

#2. Maybe people have but don't want to open up about negative experiences. It's like a watered down version of somoene asking in a public forum, "has anyone ever been sexually abused, if so, talk about it". Just because people may not open up about it doesn't mean it couldn't have happened, it's just that people might not want to talk publicly about negative experiences, especially when someone presents the question in a way that is dismissive at best, if not outright hostile.

 

#3. Look at PP92's response. Can you see why I'd draw the inference of indirect oppression of even a younger generation of black people because they grew up in households of parents who were oppressed, thus didn't have the same opportunities for themselves, and in turn, their children?

 

#4. Would you argue that there's currently no gerrymandering of political districts that effect things like voting, schools, etc., or can only someone who is black point that out before it has any validity to you?

Since a few paragraphs that basing an argument on observation on historical facts has suddenly become a 'dissertation', and we'll keep it short and sweet so nothing at all is slipped in, then I'll ask you Archie, "in today's society, are you saying that you think that black people aren't oppressed at"?

Look I asked a very specific question. I am not taking sides. This has been discussed for page after page here with a lot of different opinions and takes on a lot of things that has happened recently. I was just asking for personal experiences. I'm not looking for underlying anything. I am looking for outward facts. And I take what PP said just fine. But for you, you answer questions with questions, never getting to the answer and side step the question.(If I had you on the witness stand I would destroy you). I didn't ask you if you drew the inference of indirect oppression from anyone. I asked if YOU personally had been discriminated against. Nothing needs to be validated to me other than just a easy answer. I had no other intentions than just wanting to know and know who done something like that to a human being. And you also made mention in point 1 on BGP responses and point 3 on PP responses. I can read. I know what has been said, except what you have said after again ANOTHER long dissertation.

Since a few paragraphs that basing an argument on observation on historical facts has suddenly become a 'dissertation', and we'll keep it short and sweet so nothing at all is slipped in, then I'll ask you Archie, "in today's society, are you saying that you think that black people aren't oppressed at"?

 

I think there are instances where they are yes. I can also give you examples where white people have been oppressed. I also think that both white people and black people are racists. I know some of both and can give you names if you would like. See I can answer a question with asking a question. Take note.

Now Joker I answered your question, answer mine. :thumb:

If I had you on the witness stand I would destroy you). I didn't ask you if you drew the inference of indirect oppression from anyone.

 

That would pretty much depend on what you were asking him wouldn't it, Perry Mason? Or can you just destroy any witness, even ones that are telling the truth?

I said that because he would not answer. If he didnt want to be part of what I asked( and I asked for no other reason that just wanting to know, nothing else) he should have ignored my post. I was not trying to be anything but informed and meant nothing by this question. Apparently some took this wrong.

Now Joker I answered your question, answer mine. :thumb:

 

 

I'm not black, so I can't answer your question. Even if I were, I don't speak for every black person and haven't sent out a survey to all black members asking if they've ever been oppressed.

 

I can tell you plenty of things/events where I've witnessed what I would consider to rise to various levels of oppressive behavior, make no mistake, but those answers apparently wouldn't satisfy you because you need it to come from someone black.

 

I agree with what you said in #849, but I don't think anyone is arguing that there aren't white people who've been oppressed and that both white and black people can be racist, so I'm not really sure what that's proving.

I heard where 100's of congressional staffers staged a walkout today. In will tell you this, if I was in congress anyone walking out for any reason would be looking for another job.

 

They were also doing the hands up don't shoot thing. As many have said, if his hands were up, he would still be here. And it bothers me that people so close to those in power ONLY want an indictment, no matter what.

I heard where 100's of congressional staffers staged a walkout today. In will tell you this, if I was in congress anyone walking out for any reason would be looking for another job.

 

They were also doing the hands up don't shoot thing. As many have said, if his hands were up, he would still be here. And it bothers me that people so close to those in power ONLY want an indictment, no matter what.

 

In regards to the "Hands up, don't shoot", if you are going to protest, get it right. Autopsies, physical evidence and testimony have proven that his hands were not up.

 

Why let the truth get in the way of a talking point though, right?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.