Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Rape on Campus

Featured Replies

Very sound suggestions relative to the role of university administration. I hope someone reads this and explore how to implement his suggestions. I am glad the writer is male. I know how that sounds, but MEN are the ones who have to take the reins and make the change. Women and women's groups are often dismissed exactly as the author details, and that just further cements the position of males in this issue.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very sound suggestions relative to the role of university administration. I hope someone reads this and explore how to implement his suggestions. I am glad the writer is male. I know how that sounds, but MEN are the ones who have to take the reins and make the change. Women and women's groups are often dismissed exactly as the author details, and that just further cements the position of males in this issue.

 

I really agree with this statement, and will take it a step further. Today a big part of sexual assault education is instructing students what to do if they see their girlfriend potentially in danger of being raped or if they see their friend potentially trying to rape somebody.

 

How about instead we teach men that no means no, and its not "cool" to do what is wrong.

When boys are young they need to be taught that you respect women and protect them. It all starts at home. If you teach your children these things at an early age and keep re-enforcing them through their formative years they will remember them when they are out on their own. I know my sons do.

When boys are young they need to be taught that you respect women and protect them. It all starts at home. If you teach your children these things at an early age and keep re-enforcing them through their formative years they will remember them when they are out on their own. I know my sons do.

100% agree. The easiest way to teach this lesson is by daily demonstration of dad treating mom with respect and adoration and vice versa.

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has shut down their chapter of TKE after a man (who had drank from the women's drinks) and 3 women were hospitalized when their drinks were drugged at a party. They were shut down at least in part because the fraternity seemed to not be bothered in the least by it. Here's a couple of quotes from the article:

 

During our group meeting, no one expressed regret, concern, or remorse that four fellow students became so intoxicated at your party that they required emergency medical attention or that all four suspect that their drinks had been drugged.

 

It is believed that the bros were using a color coding system on the cups to denote which cups contained the roofied drinks but investigation is still going on. Again from the article.

 

TKE was not officially charged with drugging anyone, and their charter was instead revoked for "disregarding all of the fraternity's own risk management policies and procedures, knowingly serving alcohol to minors, insufficiently controlling alcohol service and consumption, disregarding the safety of members and guests, and disregarding police authority and laws,"

 

Sounds like some great guys.

 

Link: University: Frat Bros Show "No Remorse" Over Allegedly Drugging 3 Girls

Breaking news on this story:

 

Rolling Stone is now disavowing this story!!! They are saying numerous discrepancies exist. WOW!! Other sources are now saying the main rapist does not even exist! Rolling Stone has quite a bit of egg on its face on this one!!!!!!!

 

This is going to get real interesting.

A Rape on Campus: A Brutal Assault and Struggle for Justice at UVA | Rolling Stone

 

I thought this was an excellently reported, yet disturbing article that highlights what appears to be a national issue. The University of Virginia has suspended all fraternity activities in the wake of its release.

 

I think what it highlights is beyond troubling, but the predictable naysaying it will garner is discouraging.

 

Layering the complexity of the issue have been some of the hamfisted responses to the problem local governments and universities have proposed. Some have proposed all but doing away with the rights of the accused and due process itself. That's not right. But, I'm not sure what is.

 

Worth reading.

 

Unfortunately, it appears now that this was not excellently reported. The writer is going to be under quite a lot of fire and Rolling Stone is totally embarrassed and will probably face a lawsuit from the fraternity...and rightfully so from what is being reported now.

  • Author

Yep. Looking very ugly. I hope the truth comes out, but I fear damage has been done across the board.

 

The main girl in the story is interviewed here and standing by her account, but backtracking on some key points, like how she's not sure if the perp was actually a member of the fraternity or not. All of which could have been alleviated with more thorough reporting by RS. I guess it's much easier to present the facade of good reporting when you don't actually do good reporting. I was duped.

 

Key elements of Rolling Stone?s U-Va. gang rape allegations in doubt - The Washington Post

Yep. Looking very ugly. I hope the truth comes out, but I fear damage has been done across the board.

 

The main girl in the story is interviewed here and standing by her account, but backtracking on some key points, like how she's not sure if the perp was actually a member of the fraternity or not. All of which could have been alleviated with more thorough reporting by RS. I guess it's much easier to present the facade of good reporting when you don't actually do good reporting. I was duped.

 

Key elements of Rolling Stone?s U-Va. gang rape allegations in doubt - The Washington Post

 

You and a WHOLE LOT of other people...

Disgusting.

 

Rape is an horrible crime and an horrible sin and this reporter just did more disservice to all the women on college campuses whose rapes and assaults go unreported and unpunished than any other person could hope to do in a day's work.

One thing that I really question and is reported as fact. The article says that only 2-8% of reported rapes are falsely reported. How can anyone possibly know this?? And 2-8 is a pretty big range...

 

People just throw this out there like it is fact and there is no way anyone knows if it is true. I fully suspect that the percentage of falsely reported rapes is a low number BTW...

No, but I ABSOLUTELY think they could be doing a lot more from within.

 

While I agree with you, I wonder how you would go about doing that?

 

I can't speak for all International Fraternities, but I know that my own has passed legislature at their most recent Convention to put much more focus on the topic. Adding it into their International Risk Awareness program, by providing materials and I would imagine seminars at their Conventions, Leadership Summits, and etc. They will try to reach and teach it to as many as possible but in the organization I advise alone they will only reach roughly 25-33% of these young men (and we are on the high side with how many guys attend these events). It would be up to someone locally, the President of the Chapter (usually a 20-22 year old) or an Alumni Advisor (and there aren't enough good ones out there volunteering their time to advise the organization) to pass the message and awareness out to the others.

 

But what more can they do? The Pike Chapter at NKU has roughly 120 members in it. Only takes one, or lets go ahead and just say 4-5 morons to do something stupid during a drunk weekend. And it could very well take place at unsanctioned party that the Fraternity has nothing to do with. Those couple guys do something extremely stupid and now its all over the news that the Pikes at NKU sexually assaulted a women (insert whatever story you want). That same organization has alumni advisors who help to stir the organization in the right direction, they have an International Fraternity that provides resources on the topic, they have a university that provides forums that are required to be attended and etc. What more can be done?

 

It's tough when a few idiots destroy the name of the organization and people are so quick to say "The Headquarters can do more"...but what?

 

I can't speak for this case, but others things I've seen in regards to hazing, sexual abuse, and etc. many headquarters are very quick to come in and put a swift stop to the operations of an organization where this occurs. Many times placing that chapter on indefinite suspension until all investigations are concluded by the police, school, their International Fraternity, and etc. In my cases they are shut down for at least 4-5 years to clean out all the current members and will go through a rechartering process later, if the school let's them come back.

 

Could they do more? I guess but being pretty involved in it, its hard for me to come up with what that more might be.

 

Might be my longest BGP post haha!

As for those who have mentioned that fraternities are different at every school, I couldn't agree more. The culture of Greek Life can be very different from school to school as well.

 

I loved my experience in Greek Life at NKU. Not sure I would have had much interest in it at a school like Alabama, LSU, and etc.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.