Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Rape on Campus

Featured Replies

A Rape on Campus: A Brutal Assault and Struggle for Justice at UVA | Rolling Stone

 

I thought this was an excellently reported, yet disturbing article that highlights what appears to be a national issue. The University of Virginia has suspended all fraternity activities in the wake of its release.

 

I think what it highlights is beyond troubling, but the predictable naysaying it will garner is discouraging.

 

Layering the complexity of the issue have been some of the hamfisted responses to the problem local governments and universities have proposed. Some have proposed all but doing away with the rights of the accused and due process itself. That's not right. But, I'm not sure what is.

 

Worth reading.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read this a few days ago. Really disgusting and disturbing stuff. Sexual assault is a growing problem at colleges that does not get as much attention as other political topics by the media.

I am appalled but not entirely surprised. I didn't attend too many Greek functions while in college but from what I did, this mindset was there, barely hiding underneath the surface.

Stuff is super crazy, I was in a fraternity and we never had anything like this go on, but we heard about it in other circles, As a freind to many girls in college I told them to always be suspcicious and trust no one. Alot of cowards and slimeballs out there.

I am appalled but not entirely surprised. I didn't attend too many Greek functions while in college but from what I did, this mindset was there, barely hiding underneath the surface.

 

Depends on the group of people and schools. Can't paint Greek life with a broad brush like that.

Depends on the group of people and schools. Can't paint Greek life with a broad brush like that.
Let's put it this way, I'd say these crimes are committed at a much higher rate by Greek students vs non-Greek.
Let's put it this way, I'd say these crimes are committed at a much higher rate by Greek students vs non-Greek.

 

I think it just sticks to groups of boys...clubs, fraternities, a clique a sports team. All it takes is one idiot and one sick head to get this thing started add in some alcohol and there you have it. Worst crime possible in my eyes.

Some of this article is being debunked by the victims themselves. I'm sure there are issues but am reading that RS author took some liberties.

Let's put it this way, I'd say these crimes are committed at a much higher rate by Greek students vs non-Greek.

 

What's the basis of this opinion?

I think it just sticks to groups of boys...clubs, fraternities, a clique a sports team. All it takes is one idiot and one sick head to get this thing started add in some alcohol and there you have it. Worst crime possible in my eyes.

 

I agree 100%. Sad part is, you can be a star athlete and pretty much get a pass. Really disturbing.

This is very, very well done article.

 

My son was SAE, and I can tell you that fraternities are different at different campuses. I don't think Greek life is at all what this is about. And you know when it will stop? When men are as angry and fed up with their compatriots acting this way as women.

What's the basis of this opinion?

 

One In Four USA

 

3X according to a couple of studies.

 

Two different longitudinal studies have found that fraternity men are three times more likely to commit sexual assault than other college men (Foubert, Newberry, & Tatum, 2007; Loh, Gidycz, Lobo, & Luthra, 2005.)

One In Four USA 3X according to a couple of studies. Two different longitudinal studies have found that fraternity men are three times more likely to commit sexual assault than other college men (Foubert' date=' Newberry, & Tatum, 2007; Loh, Gidycz, Lobo, & Luthra, 2005.)[/quote']

 

Wonder if this means it's more a "crime of opportunity" then?

Wonder if this means it's more a "crime of opportunity" then?

 

I don't follow.

I don't follow.

 

Meaning they're in social situations with large amounts of booze and intoxicated females.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.