Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Rape on Campus

Featured Replies

Meaning they're in social situations with large amounts of booze and intoxicated females.

 

Gotcha. Like a bank robber going to banks because that's where the money is.

 

I'd say the environment does contribute but there are plenty of non-frat parties where there are drunk girls. Are there sexual assaults at those like there are at SOME(key) frats? It's not as simple as frat or not. There seems to be a culture at UVA that makes it seem like it's just part of the college experience.

 

The article paints a disturbing picture.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see where the study that Clyde posted is valid. I do think though, that it's easier to pinpoint a fraternity because they're groups of men living together. However, I've seen the same mentality among groups of post-college men, buddies who are always together. The underlying theme? Men who are hedonistic and feel women are nothing more than a means to an end. They egg each other on and feed off each other.

Gotcha. Like a bank robber going to banks because that's where the money is.

 

I'd say the environment does contribute but there are plenty of non-frat parties where there are drunk girls. Are there sexual assaults at those like there are at SOME(key) frats? It's not as simple as frat or not. There seems to be a culture at UVA that makes it seem like it's just part of the college experience.

 

The article paints a disturbing picture.

 

Most definitely. One need look no further than the lyrics of "Rugby Road" and the outcry against discontinuing it. Somehow this distorted view has manifested itself as some sort of "honor" or "right". This is NOTHING new at many college campuses. The fact that it is now being talked about more openly is a positive. However, the change has to come from them men themselves, and it has to be enforced by the campus administration. There has to be a serious look into the policies and procedures and an environment that supports and protects victims. And this is not just an issue for females. Men have been raped or assaulted as well.

I could not finish reading it.

I wish it was just a bad novel that I was reading.

I can see where the study that Clyde posted is valid. I do think though' date=' that it's easier to pinpoint a fraternity because they're groups of men living together. However, I've seen the same mentality among groups of post-college men, buddies who are always together. The underlying theme? Men who are hedonistic and feel women are nothing more than a means to an end. They egg each other on and feed off each other.[/quote']

 

I think you have to look at the alpha/beta male thing as well. Also, fraternity guys are more outgoing usually. Let's be honest, in college your athletes, fraternity guys are more outgoing and confident they can bed females. There's a lot more guys lacking confidence to attempt these feats hanging out in their dorm rooms and not getting involved in the social life of college on a regular basis, unlike the athletes and fraternity guys. Thus, less opportunity to commit these crimes.

I am not shocked but as mad as I am at the rapists, I am just as mad at the administrators who sweep this stuff under the rug. This is simply unacceptable. Reminds me of the Catholic church sweeping stuff under the rug with some of its priests. They have to realize that when you sweep something under the rug, you are in effect ASSURING another girl (or many girls) will be raped as well. Shameful...

With this group of college boys...at what point does it register in their brain that what they are doing is ok?

An extremely disturbing story. It is hard to believe this really happened and that the victims are not believed when the physical evidence would be pretty clear. I am not sure how much of this is true, but even if a little is, it is still disturbing. The Administration is certainly culpable in many ways. Until they take the really hard "no nonsense" approach, things will not change. The sad part is that if the Administration does do anything, it is likely they will lose their job due to the big $$ donated. This is a tough problem to deal with, but you'd think someone would want to do the right thing.

 

The President of UVA will not survive this.

I agree with the sentiments of others. The change has to come from within. But, having an administration that didn't sweep it under the rug wouldn't hurt either.

 

Very disturbing all around at UVA. I fear they aren't the only major campus like this.

 

I'd like to see the fraternities from a national level down take a hard-stance on this. Persecute themselves, provide mandatory education, etc.

I agree with the sentiments of others. The change has to come from within. But, having an administration that didn't sweep it under the rug wouldn't hurt either.

 

Very disturbing all around at UVA. I fear they aren't the only major campus like this.

 

I'd like to see the fraternities from a national level down take a hard-stance on this. Persecute themselves, provide mandatory education, etc.

 

So you think fraternity headquarters are ok with this? Come on

Numerous studies.

 

Someone else posted 1. Your 1st post about it was stated as an opinion, prefaced with "I'd say..."

 

Haven't you previously taken the stance on here that you don't care for people involved in Greek life or do I have you confused with someone else?

So you think fraternity headquarters are ok with this? Come on
No, but I ABSOLUTELY think they could be doing a lot more from within.
Someone else posted 1. Your 1st post about it was stated as an opinion, prefaced with "I'd say..."

 

Haven't you previously taken the stance on here that you don't care for people involved in Greek life or do I have you confused with someone else?

That link had several studies inside it. He quoted two more.

 

I never saw the point in it. In the last three years I have been in weddings of two people who were President and Vice President of two fraternities. So, no, I do care for people involved in Greek life. I just don't care for Greek life. I was asked to rush one of those previously mentioned fraternities several times. Also another one while I was at UK.

 

I see a glaring issue like the one at UVA and I have to ask, did the national headquarters turn a blind eye or did they not care enough to know. This is why I say they could do more. Change needs to start from within...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.