Apollo 48 Mason County 36

This game showed me that a shot clock is needed in Kentucky HS basketball. I know it will never happen. The logistics and funds to pull this off would probably be too much. But the way Apollo played tonight truly was Bush League.

Hats off to the Apollo coach and players for getting the win. They deserved it and Mason Co. certainly did not play well. But winning at the cost of holding the ball for at least 1 min everytime down the floor and holding it for 2-3 minute stretches at several points in the game is not the way to play this game.

:laugh: :laugh:

Thats funny, I thought Apollo played to win. If Mason didn't like it they should have played better D forced a turnover, etc.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apollo is a very scrappy team! Very fun to watch. Them & Graves Co. have been the two biggest suprise of the tournament!!!

I won't go that far in saying they are fun to watch, but they are very good at what they do........

Looks like W. Ky vs. Louisville....and if it is a W.Ky finals match up Rupp will be rocking, but if it's a Louisville match up Rupp will be empty.....

You do what you have to do to win, if that means hearing a scattering of a few boos because of it, then fine.....

If holding the ball for a while is "bush league", and it wins, so be it. I'd rather be "bush" league and win then be "classy" and lose...., and in all honesty, I dont see how it's bush league....

You do what you have to do to win, if that means hearing a scattering of a few boos because of it, then fine.....

If holding the ball for a while is "bush league", and it wins, so be it. I'd rather be "bush" league and win then be "classy" and lose...., and in all honesty, I dont see how it's bush league....

It wasn't a "scattering" of boos either. You started hearing a few about 1:20, then a few more at 00:45, and by the 00:20 mark, about a third to half the crowd was booing because Apollo held for the last shot that could've put them up 9 or 10 going into halftime. I do it every time if I'm coaching. Screw the fans, I want that trophy and ring.

Apollo is not a fun team to watch. Anyone who says otherwise must be a fan of the team and not a fan of basketball.

I agree, they did what they had to do to win and that is all that matters. Mason Co. was too young and without a key player, too much to overcome tonight.

Apollo won! They played the game and won. At the end of regulation, they had more points and get to score more points tomorrow. Whether its 60 points or 5 points, as long as Apollo had more points when the final horn sounded, that all THEY cared about. If they ran up and down the court and lost, that will never be remembered. If they play like they did today and should win the tourney, that will be REMEMBERED for a long long time. Much longer than some of these bogus posts. Fact is, there is no shot clock, and Apollo played by the rules and won.

And what about the Grave County kids. That was the greatest display of unselfishness I have seen or heard in a while. Imagine, only 3 kids made the stat lines in terms of shot attempts and points, but there were always 5 on the court playing their hearts out on defense which will not be celebrated in the newspapers tomorrow but the points by the 3 kids will be.

As far as I am concerned, the age of being a true competitor, an unselfish teammate, and playing team basketball has made its appearance again with these kids at Apollo and Graves County.

I'm tired of this talk about teams holding the ball ... those teams have a game plan and are trying to win, not necessarily entertain those of us that are fortunate enough to be in Rupp Arena.

Anyone that watched Graves-South Laurel and Apollo-Mason and didn't appreciate the quality of basketball and the hardnosed play of each team ... well, you're not really a basketball fan.

I'm tired of this talk about teams holding the ball ... those teams have a game plan and are trying to win, not necessarily entertain those of us that are fortunate enough to be in Rupp Arena.

Anyone that watched Graves-South Laurel and Apollo-Mason and didn't appreciate the quality of basketball and the hardnosed play of each team ... well, you're not really a basketball fan.

\

very true, the fan favorite doesnt always win. Sometimes strategy will win more games than pure talent. Mind over matter

Congrats to Apollo on a scrappy game and nice gameplan they worked it to perfection and hats off to them.Good luck to the Eagles today.Congrats to Mason Cty on a great season you guys had a good run that honestly wasnt expected to be made until next year.Mikah Turner hats off to you as the lone senior on the team you were a warrior all year long.Guys lets work hard this summer theres lots of talent for next year.:thumb:

After watching this game I would definitely like to see a shot clock in high school basketball..........Probably 45 seconds.......Anyway, congrats to

Apollo on the win........The Royals didn't have a good shooting game and when you play a team like Apollo you'd better knock down shots because once they build a lead you're in trouble.........Apollo handles the ball very well and will force you to guard them........Very patient on offense........Kind of reminiscent of the old Dean Smith four corners when they started running their spread offense............I know the shot clock would be a fund issue, but I think the KHSAA needs to take a look at this.......Even if you had a 50-60 second shot clock you could slow the tempo of the game down, but at least you wouldn't be able to hold the ball for 2-3 minutes a time........

I agree. If every team took the same 'gameplan' into Rupp Arena that Apollo did then the "Greatest Show in Hoops" would quickly become the "World's Largest Napping Session".

I applaud their coach for somehow being able to motivate his kids to play this way. If I were a player, I would be ticked off if my coach was so unconfident in my abilities that is game plan was to get an early lead and then take the air out of the ball.

I can only imagine what he told his kids at halftime. Probably something to the effect of "OK guys, we have them just where we want them. 8 point lead. Now lets go out there and rebound, walk the ball up the floor and hold it for two minutes. YEAH. Let's go".....

As a player this is exactly how I want to play the game. ;)

I don't care how much any of you want to argue about them winning the game is all that matters. I agree with you. BUT, let's hope in the future more coaches don't take this strategy with them to Rupp Arena or it would certainly ruin the tournament and cause attendance to die.