Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WVU suspends all frats and sororities

Featured Replies

This piece particularly stood out to me:

 

•In September, all fraternity activities were suspended at Clemson University in South Carolina after 19-year-old Sigma Phi Epsilon pledge Tucker Hipps died during a fraternity run.

•In July, 19-year-old Pi Kappa Phi pledge Armando Villa of California State University, Northridge, died on a fraternity trip. Sheriff's investigators ruled the death to be hazing-related.

•In March, 18-year-old Phi Sigma Kappa pledge Marquise Braham of Penn State University committed suicide after what his family claimed was repeated hazing. While not explicitly linking Braham's death to hazing, police opened a criminal investigation, and Penn State suspended the fraternity last month after sealing the results of its own investigation.

•Last December, 19-year-old Pi Delta Psi pledge Michael Deng of Baruch College in New York died from major head trauma in what police said was a homicide.

 

I have never been a fan of fraternities or sororities. If you have to pay for your "friends" and your "friends/brothers/sisters" degrade you or emotionally/physically abuse you, that's bullying. It's not a family.

This piece particularly stood out to me:

 

•In September, all fraternity activities were suspended at Clemson University in South Carolina after 19-year-old Sigma Phi Epsilon pledge Tucker Hipps died during a fraternity run.

•In July, 19-year-old Pi Kappa Phi pledge Armando Villa of California State University, Northridge, died on a fraternity trip. Sheriff's investigators ruled the death to be hazing-related.

•In March, 18-year-old Phi Sigma Kappa pledge Marquise Braham of Penn State University committed suicide after what his family claimed was repeated hazing. While not explicitly linking Braham's death to hazing, police opened a criminal investigation, and Penn State suspended the fraternity last month after sealing the results of its own investigation.

•Last December, 19-year-old Pi Delta Psi pledge Michael Deng of Baruch College in New York died from major head trauma in what police said was a homicide.

 

I have never been a fan of fraternities or sororities. If you have to pay for your "friends" and your "friends/brothers/sisters" degrade you or emotionally/physically abuse you, that's bullying. It's not a family.

 

I have been of the same feeling most of my life. At my college, the Athletes (I played baseball) and Frats didn't get along well, and I've carried that dislike throughout my life. However, my daughter is a member of a sorority. I tried desperately to talk her out of it, but ultimately she made the decision and foot the bill for the costs. Now that she's been involved with her sorority for over a year, I have to admit there are some good points. She's made many great friends. Having those friends has made the transition to living away from home easier. She has to maintain certain grades and the sorority maintains a quiet place to study, as well as providing a network of tutors to help her academically. She's also gotten involved in charity work that has been very rewarding. To my knowledge, no hazing has occurred, and while I'm sure there are parties and events, none of that has affected her schoolwork. Yes, there are plenty of frats/sororities that have it all wrong, but there are also plenty that are doing a lot of good.

So what happened to the young man? Did I miss that?

I have been of the same feeling most of my life. At my college, the Athletes (I played baseball) and Frats didn't get along well, and I've carried that dislike throughout my life. However, my daughter is a member of a sorority. I tried desperately to talk her out of it, but ultimately she made the decision and foot the bill for the costs. Now that she's been involved with her sorority for over a year, I have to admit there are some good points. She's made many great friends. Having those friends has made the transition to living away from home easier. She has to maintain certain grades and the sorority maintains a quiet place to study, as well as providing a network of tutors to help her academically. She's also gotten involved in charity work that has been very rewarding. To my knowledge, no hazing has occurred, and while I'm sure there are parties and events, none of that has affected her schoolwork. Yes, there are plenty of frats/sororities that have it all wrong, but there are also plenty that are doing a lot of good.

 

Yeah I have not seen as many issues with sororities. I'm glad it's working out well for your daughter.

 

I dated someone who was once a president of a fraternity and at 30, he was still a child. It was like the frat had been his security blankie and out in the real world, he had no idea how to function or let it go. I'm just not a fan at all.

[video=youtube;ep-xgd_eETE]

So what happened to the young man? Did I miss that?

 

I didn't catch it either.

So what happened to the young man? Did I miss that?

 

 

He passed away.

 

 

The West Virginia University freshman who was found unconscious and not breathing inside a fraternity house — leading to a suspension of all Greek activities on campus — has died, university officials said Friday afternoon. Nolan Michael Burch, 18, of Williamsville, New York, had been in critical condition in intensive care at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, police and a hospital spokesman said.

I think LRCW meant, "What caused him to be in the condition that caused his death?"

 

That doesn't appear in the article.

  • Author

What they need to do is hold people responsible, not sure how far you can take it, but some are responsible for his death.

  • Author
I think LRCW meant' date=' "What caused him to be in the condition that caused his death?" That doesn't appear in the article.[/quote']

The link just updated about 35 mins ago, after I posted it, and his death wasn't in the article when I posted. But most will say alcohol.

Yeah I have not seen as many issues with sororities. I'm glad it's working out well for your daughter.

 

I dated someone who was once a president of a fraternity and at 30, he was still a child. It was like the frat had been his security blankie and out in the real world, he had no idea how to function or let it go. I'm just not a fan at all.

 

I hear ya. But let's be honest, that sort of behavior isn't limited to Frats. There are plenty of irresponsible, immature 30 year olds that have never been anywhere near a Fraternity. Binge drinking, childish behavior, hazing happens in many different college groups. That doesn't make it right, or acceptable. But killing all the frats on a campus because one or two are full of knuckleheads, doesn't make them all bad.

What they need to do is hold people responsible, not sure how far you can take it, but some are responsible for his death.

 

The link just updated about 35 mins ago, after I posted it, and his death wasn't in the article when I posted. But most will say alcohol.
No, he's responsible for his own death then. He's 18 years old for goodness sakes. Why should anyone else be held responsible unless they were forcing alcohol down his throat?
  • Author
No' date=' he's responsible for his own death then. He's 18 years old for goodness sakes. Why should anyone else be held responsible unless they were forcing alcohol down his throat?[/quote']

1) If you are encouraging someone to do something dangerous.

 

2) If it's alcohol, last time I checked 18 is underage.

 

People need to take care of and watch the people around them, especially if they are so- called friends.

 

Hazing has gotten out of control. And last time I checked there are anti-hazing laws, WV has those laws as well.

 

In WV a non-death incident can land you up to 9 months in jail. And it could be raised to a felony.

No, he's responsible for his own death then. He's 18 years old for goodness sakes. Why should anyone else be held responsible unless they were forcing alcohol down his throat?

 

You become 18 and you're instantly immune from peer pressure?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.