Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Will the Bengals make the playoffs this year?

Will the Bengals make the Playoffs? 12 members have voted

  1. 1. Will the Bengals make the Playoffs?

    • Yes, They win the Division to earn a spot
      16%
      2
    • Yes, They make it as a wildcard team
      8%
      1
    • Yes, they make it but get bounced in the 1st round...again
      8%
      1
    • No, they don't make it this year but don't worry Marvin's job is safe
      66%
      8

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

And that's why I said the game with Pittsburgh at home was a tossup. :sssh::smug:

 

You typed it in a Ramish language subject to interpretation.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't say I could do better, nor has anyone else on here. (Although any of us probably could equal his record of mediocrity). Call me ignorant on the matter, but I believe he is one of, if not the worst, in-game manager I have ever seen.

 

You'll get your wish, you'll have a new guy next year. He most assuredly isn't here as long as he wants to be, as evidenced by the fact that the Bengals, who long used the MLCF as their external foundation, formed their own this year for the first time. He will be done after the season and you all can sit back and admire the handy-work of the new guy next year.

I used to love all of the "In Marvin we Trust" threads on BGP.

You'll get your wish, you'll have a new guy next year. He most assuredly isn't here as long as he wants to be, as evidenced by the fact that the Bengals, who long used the MLCF as their external foundation, formed their own this year for the first time. He will be done after the season and you all can sit back and admire the handy-work of the new guy next year.
So I take it you're a big Marvin Lewis fan?

I think Marvin is a great guy. I think whatever hand he's had in the recent drafts has been outstanding. I don't think he's in the top half of the league when it comes to game day coaching his team. I think he allows his coordinators more reign than he should personally. It's only my opinion and it doesn't amount to much.

 

As for the Bengals, I think they have a shot at beating the Steelers twice. The Steelers have the acrobat back there at FS who provides no help over the top and they've given up at least one of those in every game. The thing is that they have no answer for AJ in one on one, and that is what he's gonna get. Hill and the run game will make them commit too many near the LOS and they're done.

And for the record I supported Marvin being let go after last season. Many Bengal fans act like he has run the franchise in to the ground, which is not the case, the bar has been raised big time by Lewis; but, I believe he has reached his ceiling with this organization and a fresh start for he and the team is warranted.

So I take it you're a big Marvin Lewis fan?

 

First and foremost, and I'm sure this is obvious to some / many / all, I really like Marvin Lewis the man. So when I'm frustrated with another prime-time egg laid, I don't knee-jerk to Marvin is "awful" because, frankly, I see all sides to the guy.

 

I think what he has done here has been nothing short of amazing, and yes, I realize he is a .500 head coach over the last 12 (or so) years. I wish we were the Steelers or the Pats or the Cowboys, and we won at a .700 clip in the 90's, but we didn't. He inherited the biggest dumpster fire in pro sports and has raised it to a place I wasn't sure it would ever get back to.

 

I think Spindoc makes a very good and objective account of Marvin the coach, and he certainly has some obvious deficiencies as a head guy. He isn't Bill Belichik, but guess what, most aren't. Do I wish he could have gotten this team over the hump the last couple of years? Yes. Obviously. He is going to be gone after this year, a year they'll be around .500 without their #1 WR part of the year, their #2 WR all year, their #1 TE all year, their #1 LB most of the year, their #2 LB most of the year, and their #1 CB off and on. Everyone has injuries, and he won't make an excuse, but you could make the case that them being 5-3-1 is actually surprisingly good given what they've faced.

 

In summary, I'm 99.7% sure I'll be saying the same thing to the Coaching experts in this thread in January that I said to you last October, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. The Bengals, after a coaching change, will take a step back next year, I'd wager a lot on that.

 

I don't give Marvin as much credit as most for the drafts because Duke Tobin is the acting GM, regardless of title, and is terrific. The Bengals err on not allowing him to be more of the face of the organization and I don't completely understand why that is. So I don't think the drafts will dry up, just to make that point clear.

 

If anyone thinks this organization is going to crack open the coffers for a Bill Cowher-level coach than you just haven't been paying attention.

First and foremost, and I'm sure this is obvious to some / many / all, I really like Marvin Lewis the man. So when I'm frustrated with another prime-time egg laid, I don't knee-jerk to Marvin is "awful" because, frankly, I see all sides to the guy.

 

I think what he has done here has been nothing short of amazing, and yes, I realize he is a .500 head coach over the last 12 (or so) years. I wish we were the Steelers or the Pats or the Cowboys, and we won at a .700 clip in the 90's, but we didn't. He inherited the biggest dumpster fire in pro sports and has raised it to a place I wasn't sure it would ever get back to.

 

I think Spindoc makes a very good and objective account of Marvin the coach, and he certainly has some obvious deficiencies as a head guy. He isn't Bill Belichik, but guess what, most aren't. Do I wish he could have gotten this team over the hump the last couple of years? Yes. Obviously. He is going to be gone after this year, a year they'll be around .500 without their #1 WR part of the year, their #2 WR all year, their #1 TE all year, their #1 LB most of the year, their #2 LB most of the year, and their #1 CB off and on. Everyone has injuries, and he won't make an excuse, but you could make the case that them being 5-3-1 is actually surprisingly good given what they've faced.

 

In summary, I'm 99.7% sure I'll be saying the same thing to the Coaching experts in this thread in January that I said to you last October, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. The Bengals, after a coaching change, will take a step back next year, I'd wager a lot on that.

 

I don't give Marvin as much credit as most for the drafts because Duke Tobin is the acting GM, regardless of title, and is terrific. The Bengals err on not allowing him to be more of the face of the organization and I don't completely understand why that is. So I don't think the drafts will dry up, just to make that point clear.

 

If anyone thinks this organization is going to crack open the coffers for a Bill Cowher-level coach than you just haven't been paying attention.

I can't disagree with anything you said here. But I will say this... Who cares if the Bengals take a step back for a year or two if ultimately they can move forward to a championship?

Agreed, Marvin is a great guy and has done great things here. But, whatever the reason, he just can't lead the team past a certain point...even if it can all be chalked up to just "bad luck". It is what it is. It's time for a change.

But I will say this... Who cares if the Bengals take a step back for a year or two if ultimately they can move forward to a championship?

 

ENORMOUS assumption.

 

If your statement was even likely to be the case, I'd be on board and would have no problem two lean years. However, what in their past gives you even an scintilla of faith that would be the case? Heck, everyone is ready for a QB change too, so with that in the cards for the 2016 season, I think the "lean years" last a lot longer than two years.

Managers/Coaches get too much blame at the professional level. If you think anyone in football prepares differently because the game is a primetime game you don't have a clue. Every week, regardless of the opponent or stage, they prepare as hard as they possibly can for one week. They can't all of a sudden forget how to coach because the lights are on. The same way they don't become great coaches because they have more talent.

 

I've never been a fan of railing on coaches because, like some, I know the grass isn't always greener. Same as I said for the Reds, be careful what you wish for.

ENORMOUS assumption.

 

If your statement was even likely to be the case, I'd be on board and would have no problem two lean years. However, what in their past gives you even an scintilla of faith that would be the case? Heck, everyone is ready for a QB change too, so with that in the cards for the 2016 season, I think the "lean years" last a lot longer than two years.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm saying I'm willing to take that chance. 12 years of almost Marvin is enough...he's been the coach for a quarter of the time the Bengals have been in the NFL and they have not one playoff win. Time for a change! I'd take the risk even if it meant 5 down years.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm saying I'm willing to take that chance. 12 years of almost Marvin is enough...he's been the coach for a quarter of the time the Bengals have been in the NFL and they have not one playoff win. Time for a change! I'd take the risk even if it meant 5 down years.

 

Fair enough, and I think your point that it is time for a change is probably correct. He hasn't gotten them over the hump, and he is ultimately responsible for doing it, so I'm sure he'll accept what is coming. I think the fans that will pile on at the end and be thrilled with a guy losing his job are sad and pathetic, are ungrateful, and have very short memories.

 

The "time for a change" mantra is certainly fair....and you're obviously in the majority on this issue. :thumb:

Fair enough, and I think your point that it is time for a change is probably correct. He hasn't gotten them over the hump, and he is ultimately responsible for doing it, so I'm sure he'll accept what is coming. I think the fans that will pile on at the end and be thrilled with a guy losing his job are sad and pathetic, are ungrateful, and have very short memories.

 

The "time for a change" mantra is certainly fair....and you're obviously in the majority on this issue. :thumb:

I'm of this mindset: Marvin did a hell of a job! We should all be grateful. And as you said, it just hasn't gone any further. Time for a change...only because he's had a long run. It's silly to keep pounding at a door he can't kick in... Unfortunately, you can't replace 53 players as easily as a few coaches.

All this being said, if they make the playoffs... And that's far from impossible.... Brown might keep it all intact. Brown is insanely patient and loyal.

  • Author
....

 

No chance. You can't convince me there are 4 more wins on their schedule, and I'm not even sure 9-6-1 would be enough. In fact, I'm not sure I see 3 more wins on the schedule.

 

Hope I'm wrong.

 

Marvin will be gone....and nearly all of you will get your wish. (please see 2014 Reds :o)

 

HB, your personal vendetta against Marvin is funny...and sad. That guy has forgotten more about building and running a football team since breakfast than you will know in your lifetime. But, whatever, keep hammering on him.

Mentsch you seem to love to ignore some things when I talk about what I think about Marvin. I never once said he didn't know football, I think he'd be a great personnel guy and as a coach I think he was one of the best defensive coordinators of our time and helped coach one of the best defenses we've seen since the 85 Bears in the season the Ravens won their first SB. He just isn't a very good Head Coach and has more times than not failed to get his team prepared for big games and his in game lack of adjustments and in game time management has never improved since he became Head Coach. Now I guess you disagree with all that I said because apparently I think he is just a horrible human being according to you. But, whatever, keep defending him, his record speaks volumes if you ask me.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.