Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott 3 Trinity 2

Featured Replies

UKfan12,

From FIFA: "A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between

the goalposts and under the crossbar..."

There is a good illustration on the bottom of page 30 of the document (p. 32 in in Acrobat): http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

 

 

Giving the AR's whistles sounds like basketball. Ditching offsides sounds like indoor soccer, or basketball. You have just turned the beautiful game into international rules handball, ...or basketball.

  • Replies 68
  • Views 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As an outsider who has no fight in this discussion, I find it really hard to believe that any amount of internet crying is going to change the rules of the worlds most popular game. I find it really interesting that the "movement" to change the rules did not start until Saturday afternoon!!! Seems the guys on TV talking about the World Cup would have disscussed these issues. . . . Its always difficult in the post season, someone wins and someone goes home.

Agree with Wide......although I didn't know the rule when I played (was a right fullback.....not outside defender)........I like the rule.

UKfan12,

From FIFA: "A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between

the goalposts and under the crossbar..."

There is a good illustration on the bottom of page 30 of the document (p. 32 in in Acrobat): http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

 

 

Giving the AR's whistles sounds like basketball. Ditching offsides sounds like indoor soccer, or basketball. You have just turned the beautiful game into international rules handball, ...or basketball.

 

 

I am by no means a soccer expert, or even a fan.

 

But I would add "glorified kickball" to your list.

Giving the AR's whistles sounds like basketball. Ditching offsides sounds like indoor soccer, or basketball. You have just turned the beautiful game into international rules handball, ...or basketball.

 

I'll be in favor of ditching offsides in soccer when they ditch it in football.

Agree with Wide......although I didn't know the rule when I played (was a right fullback.....not outside defender)........I like the rule.

 

I'm there with you. No defenders when I played in the back in high school soccer either. Who says that American soccer can't/hasn't evolved in light of the disappearing fullback position?!

 

:lol2:

Something else is bothering me about the discussion of the Scott keeper "elbowing" the Trinity player. If the keeper is so vicious, why did the attacker go into the goal box and challenge the keeper on a ball that looks to have been lobbed into the box (a high jump ball)? That would have avoided the contact, the striker not challenging for the ball. Any suggestions on how the keeper, who is entitled to reach up for the ball and grab it out of the air above the attacking player before they can make contact with the ball, can do so without exposing forearms and elbows? Ask the Trinity kid, who I am very happy to hear is not seriously injured and was released from the hospital, if he expected to make contact with the keeper, and I'm sure he'd say yes.

 

I'd like to know how my kid, who is a keeper, is supposed to reach up for a ball, expose her midsection to elbows, and chin and face to a head-but, and not make contact with a striker who is intent to get to the ball before or dislodge it from the keeper's hands directly or via a hard landing?

 

That being said, I am not advocating for a hockey or lacrosse kind of goal box where attackers cannot enter and impede the keeper. It's part of the game, like a 50-50 in the field from a keeper punt. To quote OTB84 from the cards discussion, it comes down to intent.

 

Thank you all for the therapeutic moment.

:wacky:

I'm looking for the soccer community to admit that there's no way 1 center ref can effectively cover the entire field and that there's no excuse for him/her to not acknowledge the linesmen. Here's a simple answer, put a whistle in the linesmen's mouth and let them stop play when it is warranted. Your points about parents and coaches is a total cop out. That happens in every sport, you know what stops it, the officials penalizing it. When a kid flops and lays on the ground screaming to get a call and then hops up totally unharmed drop a yellow on them for delay. Simple. Even easier if a kids falls to the ground writhing in pain make them leave the game for their own safety to be evaluated by their medical staff.

 

I still say (and have spoken to other people that agree) the the referee totally lost control of the game.

 

All tell I agree with you concerning the linesman AKA the AR'S. I even said that in my last post. There was a great illustration of that in Saturday's match the Trinity player attempting to clear it out of his box sent it to the inside of the top right post the AR raised the flag signaling a goal. The center ref did come over they spoke and the final call was no goal Scott corner kick. Did the center ref have a better view or did he just over rule him? We will never know. Just so you know from where I was sitting / freezing I couldn't tell for sure so even as a Scott supporter I believe they made the right call.

 

I also agree with you concerning flopping and if your rule would have been in place for that match there would have been at least 4 yellow cards in the 1st half probably 2 to 2 on those cards. Not trying to call out the Trinity keeper here but I do believe he had the best flopping performance of the day. He went down and stayed down for at least 2 to 3 minutes when he got up on his own he didn't go to the bench to seek more attention no he went from the box straight to the line to check back into the match. And yes All Tell I saw that happen with Scott players as well. So if you’re going to call something out call it out both ways.

 

All Tell concerning changing the game I don't agree with you. While I will say the three person team for regular season matches should be fine I don't believe the three person team is ok for the post season. I would like to see a four person team on the field and a fifth on the sideline. I would also like to see more team work with the refs on the field because we all know that there are many times when the AR does have a better view and the center needs to yield and expect the AR'S call and move on. As far as the rules I believe they are fine just the way they are. Although offside is frustrating it does make the game more challenging to play and that in my IMHO is what makes this game so beautiful.

I really should let this mangles horse die but they did have 4 officials on the post season.

 

Soccer is by nature the most inconsistent sport because often the game is adjusted to skill level and atmosphere. For instance, in England if there isn't a minimum of two teeth missing it's not a foul and there better be an ambulance for a card.

 

By contrast I think they use a strong gust of wind as the gauge for what is a foul on some Hispanic countries.

 

Get over it people. Soccer isn't meant to be cookie cutter like so many American wish it was.

I really should let this mangles horse die but they did have 4 officials on the post season.

 

Soccer is by nature the most inconsistent sport because often the game is adjusted to skill level and atmosphere. For instance, in England if there isn't a minimum of two teeth missing it's not a foul and there better be an ambulance for a card.

 

By contrast I think they use a strong gust of wind as the gauge for what is a foul on some Hispanic countries.

 

Get over it people. Soccer isn't meant to be cookie cutter like so many American wish it was.

 

I know they are using 4 refs 3 on the field and 1 on the sideline. Iwould like to see an addittional ref on the field somewhat like they do in the NBA post season. But I certainly agree with everything else you said here. Thanks for the insight you bring to the BGP I really appreciate it.

I really should let this mangles horse die but they did have 4 officials on the post season.

 

Soccer is by nature the most inconsistent sport because often the game is adjusted to skill level and atmosphere. For instance, in England if there isn't a minimum of two teeth missing it's not a foul and there better be an ambulance for a card.

 

By contrast I think they use a strong gust of wind as the gauge for what is a foul on some Hispanic countries.

 

Get over it people. Soccer isn't meant to be cookie cutter like so many American wish it was.

 

Just so it's called the same way for both teams in the same game. There should be and I am confident there can be MUCH more consistency in the way games are called.

Just an interesting stat that I thought I would share with this thread:

 

Prior to Saturday night, Trinity had not allowed 3 goals to a team in the state of Kentucky since September, 28th 2011 to St. Xavier.

I know they are using 4 refs 3 on the field and 1 on the sideline. Iwould like to see an addittional ref on the field somewhat like they do in the NBA post season. But I certainly agree with everything else you said here. Thanks for the insight you bring to the BGP I really appreciate it.

 

Hockey went from one ref and two linesmen to two refs and two linesmen about a decade ago and it's cut down on the away-from-the-play shenanigans.

 

Each one covers half of the ice. When the puck is in the offensive zone, the ref whose zone it is watches the play around the puck and the back ref watches everything else away from the play from center ice.

 

I think they should adopt that system for state soccer matches.

Professional matches have as many as 6 officials on any game. Problem with bringing that to youth games is the cost and number of bodies. We can barely field 3 refs half of the time and the schools don't want to pay any more than they have to. No way soccer gets more unless a lot more people become refs and soccer starts making schools a lot mor money. How about $12 dollars for post season next year. Lol

Hockey went from one ref and two linesmen to two refs and two linesmen about a decade ago and it's cut down on the away-from-the-play shenanigans.

 

Each one covers half of the ice. When the puck is in the offensive zone, the ref whose zone it is watches the play around the puck and the back ref watches everything else away from the play from center ice.

 

I think they should adopt that system for state soccer matches.

 

I can think of 5 center refs that qualify.....they were covering half of the field all year.

 

:laugh:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.