Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott 3 Trinity 2

Featured Replies

I really should let this mangles horse die but they did have 4 officials on the post season.

 

Soccer is by nature the most inconsistent sport because often the game is adjusted to skill level and atmosphere. For instance, in England if there isn't a minimum of two teeth missing it's not a foul and there better be an ambulance for a card.

 

By contrast I think they use a strong gust of wind as the gauge for what is a foul on some Hispanic countries.

 

Get over it people. Soccer isn't meant to be cookie cutter like so many American wish it was.

That's the greatest load of nonsense I've read on here in a long time, and that's saying something! Clearly you haven't been watching any "proper" soccer games in a long time.

  • Replies 68
  • Views 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's the greatest load of nonsense I've read on here in a long time, and that's saying something! Clearly you haven't been watching any "proper" soccer games in a long time.

 

To each his own. If you are comparing how the World Cup is called to how the MLS or EPL are called you will see the differences. I'm sorry my friend but soccer refereeing is not an off the shelf product.

I mentioned earlier that soccer is the the most poorly officiated (top to bottom) of the 4 major HS boys sports. However, it is also probably the most difficult to officiate. To begin with you could have poor linesmen (or worse yet one good one and one poor one). Then when you have 2 teams with very different styles of play you have to not let that cloud your judgment. Finally if one team wants to play dirty away from the ball there is a very good chance that something gets missed, and to make matters worse the team that retaliates gets penalized. Really is a tough sport to call at a very high level.

Having coached high school soccer in years past, I can tell you without a doubt most coaches will push the limits early in games to see what is being called and what is allowed to slide. I had my team test offsides, physical play (no intent to hurt or injure or you were sitting next to me), and other things they might let go. We then adjusted accordingly and adapted our game to that.

 

I really don't think that is different in many team sports. Officials are different in what they call, that is just the way it is. As a coach I certainly had calls that did not go our way and vice versa. At the end of the day, it is what we did and how we handled the opportunities we had that decided the outcome. Never once, and believe I wanted to after an emotional loss, did I blame the refs.

 

You cannot control officials and what they call. You can only control what you do as a team. I can remember many times pulling a player after being called for offsides and the player would generally say that he wasn't. My response was "tonight it is and if you can't adjust, you can't play". You will never win consistently if your players are officiating, instead of playing. If you want to officiate, fine, go get a whistle.

 

I trained my players in practice to not let this affect them by intentionally making bad calls or no calls to prepare them for the correct mindset. Yes, there were some really bad officials in my opinion, but you cannot let that be an excuse. You have to be better than that.

Bengal Maniac - Well put!

 

Your name suits you... you have knowningly thrown logic into the thread... you must be crazy.

"You cannot control officials and what they call. You can only control what you do as a team." Well said Bengal Maniac.

 

Since we've gotten somewhat off-topic and it's been a few pages since this was mentioned, I thought I would remind everyone that Scott beat Trinity. Good luck Thursday night versus South Oldham!

Was sitting here thinking.

 

Scott has undoubtedly been the most talked about team on here this year......by me included.....

 

Well done to be one of the LAST talked about on here also......

 

Good luck Eagles......bring it on home....

Which rules? Some rules.....or application of existing rules.......can change every year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.