St Henry 4 Covington Catholic 3

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crappy way to end the game but frankly, CCH did not deserve to move on in this one. The same issues that have caused problems for them the entire year and have not been addressed cost them the game.

- Committing silly, unnecessary fouls, like the one that lead to the tying goal with about 1:30 left in the game. St. Henry player fouled needlessly by CCH about 40 yards from goal. Free kick into the box where it is knocked around and in.

- Inability to defend set pieces. The three St. Henry goals came on two corners and the free kick at the end.

- Above all, the poor finishing. It was on full display tonight.

Congrats to St. Henry. They converted their chances and are moving on. Colonels will be thinking about this one for a long time probably as they should.

I'm not a "soccer person" except to watch the Big Games for my favorite teams and I will never understand ending such an important game on PK's. NDA "lost" in the state final a few years back on PK's. Why not play til someone wins.? Golden goal? anything but PK's. I walked out feeling terrible for the CCH guys and I would've felt bad for SH as well. Both teams played hard.

CCH had control most of the first 30 minutes of the game and went up 2-0. St Henry had to fight to come back the entire game. To their credit, St. Henry never seemed to get discouraged and always displayed the will to come back. I wish them well at state.

A good size crowd saw an entertaining game, both teams played good, not great. The players should be proud of their efforts, thought both sides went after it and left a lot on the field. PKs are what they are, if nothing else they are completely fair. Until someone comes up with a better way to end a soccer game they are it. Sure FIFA over the years has spent lots of time and money, have had some very bright soccer minds trying to come up with a better solution to no avail.

Good luck to SH in the State Tournament.

I don't think anyone got cheated tonight for entertainment. What a back and forth game. Looked like Cov Cath was going to walk away with it in the first half. St Henry boys could have felt beaten at multiple times in the game and just kept coming back. I am sure that Cov Cath will be back strong next year with a team that is even stronger. They played hard, but could not put it away. Congrats Cru on an incredible comeback and an amazing turnaround to their season. A month ago this would have seemed impossible.

Credit to SH for never giving up and fighting to pull even with CCH and pushing it to extra time and then to PK's.

As everyone says, PK's are a tough way to end a match, much less, one that means so much. Neither team really executed well with their PK's but SH did find a way to win... that is all that matters.

I think that this is going to be a tough one for CCH, they had several chances to score early in the second half and probably could have put the game away with the chances they had.

I have not seen anyone bring up the call for handling in the first half, there was clearly one in the box but the ref awarded a free kick outside of the box, the questions is.... did he reward the free kick for the 1st, or 2nd, one that happened.

I was really pleased to see how hard SH continued to fight although CCH was dominating them at times tonight... this took a lot of heart. I was really disappointed by the actions of the SH keeper, although I thought he played a GREAT match, what I will remember most is his behavior. Early in the second half he had shanked a kick and the CCH students started heckling him, he proceeded to turn to them and show them the finger, he did the same thing once again just a few seconds later. His actions prompted the CCH student section to start chanting... "Show Some Class".... I would have to say that I agreed with them. During the PK's he did make one very nice save, rather than just getting up and celebrating a great save, he proceeded to taunt the CCH player to the point that the ref restrained him. It would have been nice for him to get up, go about his business, and let his work speak for itself... As I said, he has left me with negative opinions rather than the positive ones a person would have if they only paid attention to the nice saves he had tonight.

Good Luck on Tuesday CRU!!!

Qualifying for Regionals...awesome!

Winning the region...incredible!

BEATING COVINGTON CATHOLIC TO GO TO STATE...PRICELESS!!!

Congratulations to the St. Henry Crusaders on never giving up in winning the regional championship in the ultra tough 9th AND doing it against a team that started their season with a 5-1 loss.

-CardinalsFan

Credit to SH for never giving up and fighting to pull even with CCH and pushing it to extra time and then to PK's.

As everyone says, PK's are a tough way to end a match, much less, one that means so much. Neither team really executed well with their PK's but SH did find a way to win... that is all that matters.

I think that this is going to be a tough one for CCH, they had several chances to score early in the second half and probably could have put the game away with the chances they had.

I have not seen anyone bring up the call for handling in the first half, there was clearly one in the box but the ref awarded a free kick outside of the box, the questions is.... did he reward the free kick for the 1st, or 2nd, one that happened.

I was really pleased to see how hard SH continued to fight although CCH was dominating them at times tonight... this took a lot of heart. I was really disappointed by the actions of the SH keeper, although I thought he played a GREAT match, what I will remember most is his behavior. Early in the second half he had shanked a kick and the CCH students started heckling him, he proceeded to turn to them and show them the finger, he did the same thing once again just a few seconds later. His actions prompted the CCH student section to start chanting... "Show Some Class".... I would have to say that I agreed with them. During the PK's he did make one very nice save, rather than just getting up and celebrating a great save, he proceeded to taunt the CCH player to the point that the ref restrained him. It would have been nice for him to get up, go about his business, and let his work speak for itself... As I said, he has left me with negative opinions rather than the positive ones a person would have if they only paid attention to the nice saves he had tonight.

Good Luck on Tuesday CRU!!!

Proud of St. Henry tonight. They went in as clear underdogs, but never gave up, and emerged the Champs. I was standing directly opposite the St. Henry goalie and did not see the gesture you speak of. That's not saying he did not do it, and he was probably reacting to some of the foul language directed at him at times. Not from the happy chanting, but in an undertone that most people wouldn't hear unless they were close enough. However, let's not stoop to name calling and calling out the kids. It was a great game, for both the spectators and players. Good luck to St. Henry as they go forward, and congrats to Cov Cath on a great season.

Qualifying for Regionals...awesome!

Winning the region...incredible!

BEATING COVINGTON CATHOLIC TO GO TO STATE...PRICELESS!!!

Congratulations to the St. Henry Crusaders on never giving up in winning the regional championship in the ultra tough 9th AND doing it against a team that started their season with a 5-1 loss.

-CardinalsFan

With a 5-1 loss to Cov Cath...