August 16, 201412 yr Championships aren't won on the sandy shores of tropical paradise. Championships are won when you are the guy who doesn't want to be the one who left anything on the floor in the Craft Center in a mid-December practice even though going home for Christmas Break is on everyone's mind. Championships are won when you're waking up before practice to lift weights with MKG. Championships are won when you stay late to put up shots to get out of a slump, making free throws so the pressure doesn't get to you, or paying attention to detail in every film session. :thumb::thumb:
August 16, 201412 yr I'm not saying they will win the championship , but it's hard to not be excited about this season. I am thrilled with what I have seen so far, and can't wait for it to carry over into the season.
August 16, 201412 yr Oooohhh, PP92 is stirring the koolaid! :sneaky: He knows what he's doing, lol. He also knows that Duke is going to be loaded with talent, too.
August 16, 201412 yr He knows what he's doing, lol. He also knows that Duke is going to be loaded with talent, too. Absolutely. I am super excited about this season. Most excited I have been in a while. If there was ever a year for a UK/Duke winner-take-all matchup this is the year. Both teams have 9 Mickey D's All Americans on their rosters. Both bring back a wealth of experience and add some of the best incoming freshmen to that experience. Both have two of the best coaches and staffs in college basketball. Both have two of the best college basketball fan bases around. They both wear blue and white. I feel epic season coming from both teams this year and BGP will be here to document all of the trash talking that is going to take place. Anything less than Duke making UK 39-1 this year will be a disappointing season. Hopefully both teams play their way to the NCAA not screwing this one up in the selection show. For Duke to beat this UK team on a warmer than average Monday in early April would be one of the greatest college basketball moments in my life. I get goosebumps thinking of the sadness, anger and resentment that would envelope this state. :lol2:
August 16, 201412 yr Temper expectations if you must but I for one know a talented team when I see one.
August 16, 201412 yr ** I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic, just realistic. Fair warning, UK fans are getting too worked up about some games in the summer. This isn't how the season is going to go and it isn't going to be nearly the same kind of grind as playing a schedule filled with landmines where our game is the one circled on everyone's calendar. The Dominican win today was a quality win, but everyone else we've played has looked outmatched athletically. Let's remember the letdown in 2013. Let's remember the talk of 40-0 going into 2014. Let's remember that we were an 8 seed coming into this year's tournament before we made a great run. Dig through the archives coming into the season where we were led by Knight in 2011. We did the Canada tour and people began building on already unrealistic expectations. This is why UK fans are great. They're passionate. They love their team. They think they can do anything. It's also why they're seen as unrealistic, overly demanding, and out of touch with reality at times. Some things to remember: The freshmen will still be freshmen. We will have growing pains. We might lose a game (or even games) we shouldn't. We might lose a game we should. The team doesn't have a true small forward. We could be susceptible to poor perimeter shooting and missed free throws. There could be chemistry problems. There already aren't enough minutes for everyone and we haven't seen Cauley-Stein and Lyles in uniform. Alex Poythress can be very hit or miss with his play. There were questions about Willie Cauley-Stein's drive and motor last season. The Harrison twins had a great NCAA run, but people were questioning their body language and decision making most of the season. Tyler Ulis is going to be great, but he's still a small freshman. There is no reason to temper expectations. This is coming from the guy who didn't freak out during the season last year and said I thought they would be fine come tournament time. Last year I knew it would take awhile for it to click. However this years team unlike the last two years actually has guys with talent and experience coming back. These freshman are getting to learn from other talented guys this year who have experience. Last years problems most of the year were because of chemistry and learning all the little things. So far this year this team for only being what 10 practices in has shown great chemistry. The way they are sharing the ball has been amazing. The way they are passing the ball around and not just pounding the ball into the ground has been amazing. Where this team is right now is amazing! Will this team go undefeated maybe, is there a better chance that they will lose a game or two along the way yes. Is there a great chance this team could win it all this year? Yes! For that reason right there is the reason to be excited.
August 18, 201412 yr Absolutely. I am super excited about this season. Most excited I have been in a while. If there was ever a year for a UK/Duke winner-take-all matchup this is the year. Both teams have 9 Mickey D's All Americans on their rosters. Both bring back a wealth of experience and add some of the best incoming freshmen to that experience. Both have two of the best coaches and staffs in college basketball. Both have two of the best college basketball fan bases around. They both wear blue and white. I feel epic season coming from both teams this year and BGP will be here to document all of the trash talking that is going to take place. Anything less than Duke making UK 39-1 this year will be a disappointing season. Hopefully both teams play their way to the NCAA not screwing this one up in the selection show. For Duke to beat this UK team on a warmer than average Monday in early April would be one of the greatest college basketball moments in my life. I get goosebumps thinking of the sadness, anger and resentment that would envelope this state. :lol2: I would love a Title Game matchup with Duke, let's just hope they make it out of the first round.
August 18, 201412 yr I would love a Title Game matchup with Duke, let's just hope they make it out of the first round. :lol2: :lol2:
August 18, 201412 yr I would love a Title Game matchup with Duke, let's just hope they make it out of the first round. Provided you guys even get selected for the tournament this and maybe we'll see you in the first round in Charlotte. Your first round NIT loss wasn't that long ago. A player or two has that primo NIT experience don't they?
August 18, 201412 yr Provided you guys even get selected for the tournament this and maybe we'll see you in the first round in Charlotte. Your first round NIT loss wasn't that long ago. A player or two has that primo NIT experience don't they? Hey you have a point, but I will take National Championship, NIT, National Runner Up. Its much better than CONSISTENT first round exits at the hands of Belmont, Lehigh, Mercer, and teams like that. One season (and one loss to Robert Morris) can be called an "abnomally", multiple seasons (and season ending first round NCAA exits) can be called a "trend".
August 18, 201412 yr Hey you have a point, but I will take National Championship, NIT, National Runner Up. Its much better than CONSISTENT first round exits at the hands of Belmont, Lehigh, Mercer, and teams like that. One season (and one loss to Robert Morris) can be called an "abnomally", multiple seasons (and season ending first round NCAA exits) can be called a "trend". Hmmm....I'll take National Title, Sweet 16, First Round, Elite 8, First Round in that same time period that Cal has been at UK. I'm thinking the trend leans more towards Sweet 16 than First Round but whatever you need to tell yourself to make your program as relevant as Duke since 1990 is cool with me.
August 18, 201412 yr Wait, what? Why should I, as a fan, temper my expectations? That makes zero sense to me.
August 19, 201412 yr This is the 2012 team but on steroids. They're 12 deep, vs the 7 deep bench 2012 had. I thin KAT will be the 2nd best UK player under Cal after AD. I love his game.
August 19, 201412 yr I'm looking forward to seeing what Lyles does when he finally gets in a game. He was actually rated higher than Towns last year, and I was super impressed with Towns' game in the Bahamas. This team is so deep it's crazy!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.