Silver Grove's Head Boys Basketball Coaching position and Athletic Director position

I have just found out that Silver Grove's Coach Aldridge has resigned his position as the Head Boys Basketball Coach and Athletic Director. They said that he has accepted a similar position at a school in FL. I wish him luck in his new venture. Who will the Bigtrains get? It looks like they have 4 of their starters back and a few others with varsity experience. Team looks to have a bunch of seniors returning with lots of experience. Is this a good job?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another late in the year departure of a coach, right before the start of the season. It seems like SG will always be a stepping stone for other jobs.

When were they ever not? The only people who stay at schools such as Silver Grove long-term are alumni. That's not a swipe against SG in particular; just the reality of small schools everywhere.

I wonder where he went here in Florida. Not many jobs were still open, and very few in Fl does the basketball coach get the AD job. That is normally a job on its on or the football coach gets it regardless. Our fb coach is AD and this was his 1st year as a head coach ever at any school. If someone knows the name of the school please post, Thanks in advance.

When were they ever not? The only people who stay at schools such as Silver Grove long-term are alumni. That's not a swipe against SG in particular; just the reality of small schools everywhere.

Was Steve Hart an alum? I seem to remember him being there for years. Had some success there, but didn't make it far in the post season.

Steve Sigmon was a longtime coach there in the seventies/eighties and had some success. Steve Hart was there for more than a ham sandwich and coached some talented teams, and Tony Bacigalupo (sp) coached some quite creditable teams not long ago.

I have felt in the past that the Trains are their own worst enemies, and while not playing slow-down, which I realize would be impossible anyway, at least learn to value possession of the ball and learn what are high-percentage shots and which are not. Which are shots that you can get anytime, so why give your opponent increased opportunities to score on you, and which shots become better shots if they come within the context of an offense. I think there is potential there, but they need a coach who is in control of what is going on out there and can differentiate between always attempting to steal the ball, and playing defense.

I'd like to see the Trains land a coach who grasps those concepts and give this team a chance to be successful. Just throwing them out there and letting them run, gun, shoot, try to steal the ball, block shots, and not foul with disgression will just be more of the same.

Just having "talented" or athletic players does not equate to being successful unless those tools are used in a productive manner.

This is absolutely no disrespect to the kids at Silver Grove. I admire anyone who laces them up.

But a well-disciplined team with "lesser talent" can give teams fits. A reason why I will never support a shot clock in high-school basketball.

This is absolutely no disrespect to the kids at Silver Grove. I admire anyone who laces them up.

But a well-disciplined team with "lesser talent" can give teams fits. A reason why I will never support a shot clock in high-school basketball.

I understand what you are saying, but in California they have a shot clock and actually the most disciplined high school team I have ever watched and I have watched games from probably 25 states and teams from 35 states (De La Salle coached by Frank Allocco) is from Ca. where they have a shot clock. They run a princeton type of offense to perfection and are outstanding defensively holding teams to less than 40 ppg WITH a shot clock, so I don't think a shot clock will necessarily take away from that.

I understand what you are saying, but in California they have a shot clock and actually the most disciplined high school team I have ever watched and I have watched games from probably 25 states and teams from 35 states (De La Salle coached by Frank Allocco) is from Ca. where they have a shot clock. They run a princeton type of offense to perfection and are outstanding defensively holding teams to less than 40 ppg WITH a shot clock, so I don't think a shot clock will necessarily take away from that.

I also very seriously doubt those teams meet the definition of "lessor talented" as mcpapa describes. I'm quite sure they run that style of offense WITH highly talented players...not lessor talented.

Having been around awhile I have learned success could mean many different things to many different people. In my opinion I would think that success at a small school like Silver Grove would be to graduate players, teach kids how to respect themselves and others, and compete on nightly basis. I think last year was the first winning season the program has had since 2007 and their first district win in a couple of years. From the games I have watched the Big Trains have improved tremendously in the last couple of years. Matter of fact Mustang didn't the Trains hold the Mustangs without a basket for the first 3 minutes of the district game? Anyway everyone loves and underdog so I wish the Big Trains and other small public schools the best of luck.

Having been around awhile I have learned success could mean many different things to many different people. In my opinion I would think that success at a small school like Silver Grove would be to graduate players, teach kids how to respect themselves and others, and compete on nightly basis. I think last year was the first winning season the program has had since 2007 and their first district win in a couple of years. From the games I have watched the Big Trains have improved tremendously in the last couple of years. Matter of fact Mustang didn't the Trains hold the Mustangs without a basket for the first 3 minutes of the district game? Anyway everyone loves and underdog so I wish the Big Trains and other small public schools the best of luck.

Small schools want to win just as much as large schools. Just don't always have the tools to do so. In basketball, Success is winning the games they need to win, executing what they are taught, pulling off that upset. The Trains have had some fine athletes come thru the doors over the past few years, just not enough depth to compete with the larger schools. Typically they have to "play in" in the district due to seeding. If they hadn't won a district game in the past few years you can credit another small school, Calvary Christian, with hanging them with the losses.

Mustang will probably better remember the details, but if the Trains did hold the Mustangs scoreless the first 3 minutes of the district, they proceeded to give up 21 over the next 5 minutes. The first quarter score was 21-2 according to the Bmustangs.com web site.

The Grove will be much improved this year. The community needs to get out and support them. Good luck to the Big Trains.

Heard from someone that has some knowledge of the situation and he says that while this year could be a good year for Silver Grove, the future is bleak as they just don't have the #'s, and that the issue could be having enough to field a team.

I also very seriously doubt those teams meet the definition of "lessor talented" as mcpapa describes. I'm quite sure they run that style of offense WITH highly talented players...not lessor talented.

It depends on what you are calling lesser talented players. Yes they had good players, but they were playing against teams that had great players and they were defeating them by being very disciplined. Of course they didn't have bad players and had a few that were going on to play college basketball, BUT they didn't have any high level D-1 players the years I watched them. So in saying that they were definitely lesser talented compared to their competition. I wouldn't say they had any HIGHLY talented players, just solid.