July 18, 201412 yr I agree. I also think that we make a mistake in focusing on incidents in public settings instead of the far greater number of domestic violence incidents. FWIW the Right talks about that more than the left but still not enough, left completely misses the boat on what can and should be done. They spend too much time running around with their hair on fire screaming the sky is falling when it comes to guns. A high percentage of Domestic Violence cases are also Mental Health issues and no one on the left wants to talk about mental health and gun violence.
July 18, 201412 yr Author FWIW the Right talks about that more than the left but still not enough, left completely misses the boat on what can and should be done. They spend too much time running around with their hair on fire screaming the sky is falling when it comes to guns. A high percentage of Domestic Violence cases are also Mental Health issues and no one on the left wants to talk about mental health and gun violence. I disagree...at least to the extent that papa and I have both brought this up, as well as participated in discussions brought up by RTS, in particular.
July 18, 201412 yr I disagree...at least to the extent that papa and I have both brought this up, as well as participated in discussions brought up by RTS, in particular. Yes of course I'm talking in general not specifically towards anyone on BGP. Mental Health is a tough nut to crack because of HIPPA and our Libertarian Friends...the man that recently gunned down a lawyer in the street here in Somerset had been sent to Eastern State for Mental Issues, but those records are not available to the FBI/NICS system when approving firearms sales. So regardless of where he got the gun he could have legally walked into any store and purchased one and the only law he would have broken was lying on the gun form, which while it is a felony there is no way to verify at the time of purchase.
July 18, 201412 yr Author So...I am on a number of Facebook groups that are like virtual yard sales. Tonight I saw someone post a 12 gauge pump shotgun for sale for $200. The person said they were in a motel and could meet there. That sounds just all kinds of wrong to me. Is that kind of sale legal?
July 18, 201412 yr So...I am on a number of Facebook groups that are like virtual yard sales. Tonight I saw someone post a 12 gauge pump shotgun for sale for $200. The person said they were in a motel and could meet there. That sounds just all kinds of wrong to me. Is that kind of sale legal? Don't know if it's legal. But I ain't going to no motel to buy no gun.
July 18, 201412 yr Is the United States an outlier country in terms of cases of mental illness or behavioral drug prescriptions? In other words, are the comparatively* high levels of gun violence and shootings in the United States commensurate with a higher level of mental illness or prescriptions than other countries? That would seem to be a relatively simple test of such a theory. *I say comparatively against countries similarly situated in terms of economic development and quality of life.
July 18, 201412 yr Nothing new here. A group founded by Michael Bloomberg, who would love to take away our Second Amendment rights along with our right to drink 32 ounce soft drinks, is still opposed to the Second Amendment. Meanwhile, gang members from Mexico and Central American countries who know how to mete out real gun violence are being welcomed with open arms and transported around the country at taxpayers' expense. I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the gun violence perpetrated by illegal alien gang members to those committed by American citizens toting so-called assault weapons.
July 18, 201412 yr I don't have time to look at the whole thing as I am getting ready to go to work. I made it to the first five slides. One problem I have so far, and I don't mean to sound too critical, is the once again misuse of the term 'assault weapons'. It's dishonest or misinformed, I don't know which in this case. I will read the rest later today.
July 18, 201412 yr Author Don't know if it's legal. But I ain't going to no motel to buy no gun. Me either! I guess my question is, can one just sell guns online like that? What are the laws about selling guns?
July 18, 201412 yr Author I don't have time to look at the whole thing as I am getting ready to go to work. I made it to the first five slides. One problem I have so far' date=' and I don't mean to sound too critical, is the once again misuse of the term 'assault weapons'. It's dishonest or misinformed, I don't know which in this case. I will read the rest later today.[/quote'] Although the term is used, in the slide that references assault weapons or high capacity weapons, the percentage of use of such weapons was pretty low, but the number of victims per incident were much higher. I don't think it's exaggerating anything. It is about what one would expect in terms of: not as prevalent as many assume, higher number of victims per incident, which is the point of high capacity weapons.
July 18, 201412 yr So...I am on a number of Facebook groups that are like virtual yard sales. Tonight I saw someone post a 12 gauge pump shotgun for sale for $200. The person said they were in a motel and could meet there. That sounds just all kinds of wrong to me. Is that kind of sale legal? Individual owner to individual buyer - yes. No paperwork.
July 18, 201412 yr Although the term is used, in the slide that references assault weapons or high capacity weapons, the percentage of use of such weapons was pretty low, but the number of victims per incident were much higher. I don't think it's exaggerating anything. It is about what one would expect in terms of: not as prevalent as many assume, higher number of victims per incident, which is the point of high capacity weapons. 'Assault weapon' is fictitious term. It was created with the direct intent to scare people by Josh Sugerman. Who, ironically, grew up in Newtown Ct. 'High capacity' could be defined. But there is no evidence that limiting the physical magazine capacity can do anything. Changing mags is quick and easy. And we people say it changes things then they have not watched the Texas legislator whose parents were killed in Lundy's. Her father tried to rush the gunman during a reload. He didn't make it. Page 43 is where they say they are 'everyday.org'. That URL registrant information is hidden behind a proxy service. So not only did I read all the way through to that page I looked - or tried to look more at the 'orgnaization'. So who really funds them and supports them on web - is hidden. The real messenger is in the shadows. Maybe its AG Eric "We need to brainwash people about guns" Holder.
July 18, 201412 yr Author 'Assault weapon' is fictitious term. It was created with the direct intent to scare people by Josh Sugerman. Who, ironically, grew up in Newtown Ct. 'High capacity' could be defined. But there is no evidence that limiting the physical magazine capacity can do anything. Changing mags is quick and easy. And we people say it changes things then they have not watched the Texas legislator whose parents were killed in Lundy's. Her father tried to rush the gunman during a reload. He didn't make it. Page 43 is where they say they are 'everyday.org'. That URL registrant information is hidden behind a proxy service. So not only did I read all the way through to that page I looked - or tried to look more at the 'orgnaization'. So who really funds them and supports them on web - is hidden. The real messenger is in the shadows. Maybe its AG Eric "We need to brainwash people about guns" Holder. OK...so....about the rest of the info in the study...? Any thoughts? I'll see if I can find out more about the organization.
July 18, 201412 yr Author It appears Michael Bloomberg is the major financial backer, putting $50M of his personal fortune behind it. Source is a site opposed to the movement, gunssavelives.net Edited July 18, 201412 yr by rockmom
July 18, 201412 yr Author http://www.guns.com/2014/04/16/bloomberg-plans-50-million-everytown-gun-control-group-counter-nra-video/ Guns.com has some info about who everytown.org is.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.