Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Redskins...name change coming? What should it be?

Featured Replies

The people who are offended don't live in D.C., they live on the little corners of western states we corralled them into in the 19th century. That's who gets to decide this.

 

The trademark office can only find something "racially disparaging" in order to prevent a trademark from being approved if a "significant number" (a term up to much interpretation, but settled on over 30%) of the peoples to which the term applies find such a term disparaging. The percentage of the overall population who may or may not find it disparaging is of no consequence to the trademark office.

 

To me Snyder seems to be like Sterling in that he aches for a fight. I can seem him requiring the patent office to prove the 30% disparaging figure.

  • Replies 96
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously?
I never thought of it as an offensive term, like I said, right or wrong. Wouldn't bother me if they were the Kentucky Hillbillies, or Kentucky White Trash.
I never thought of it as an offensive term, like I said, right or wrong. Wouldn't bother me if they were the Kentucky Hillbillies, or Kentucky White Trash.

 

Except it's an offensive epithet based solely on heritage/appearance. The people who it disparages have no hand in whether or not they are Native American. Hillbilly and White Trash is much more based on a persons actions and way of life. Calling a team "Redskins" is much more in line with calling a team "Slant-Eyes" - not cool.

To me Snyder seems to be like Sterling in that he aches for a fight. I can seem him requiring the patent office to prove the 30% disparaging figure.

 

Since the plaintiffs were the ones requesting the patent be cancelled, I assume they presented evidence to that effect in order to win the case in the first place.

  • Author

Lets keep this thread a discussion of possible name changes and use the Lawsuit Thread to discuss if it's right or wrong to do so...Please!!!

Lets keep this thread a discussion of possible name changes and use the Lawsuit Thread to discuss if it's right or wrong to do so...Please!!!

 

Sorry about that, JD. I missed your first post about that and was just continuing the conversation that I saw. Will do :thumb:

I wonder why a team named something like this is found offensive and so many rail against it, but worse racial stereotypes are fine in Movies, TV and Music and no one says a thing.

 

 

1. People say things about racial stereotypes all of the time.

 

2. When a new pro team named the New York Negroes pops up....holla at ya boy. I bet folks won't like it.

Washington Monuments

 

Washington Pride

 

Washington Marthas :)

 

Washington Generals

 

Washington Metros

 

Washington Freedom

 

Let a focus group of Native Americans name the team.

  • Author
Lets keep this thread a discussion of possible name changes and use the Lawsuit Thread to discuss if it's right or wrong to do so...Please!!!

 

Got confused myself and posted this in the other thread...:banghead:

If I was Snyder I'd make a deal with one of the Tribes to use their name (like Florida St did) and then the mascot, logo, helmets and everything could stay the same.

 

Washington Cherokee

Washington Sioux (double meaning in the litigious atmosphere around the Capitol)

Washington Creek

Washington Shawnee

Washington Mohawks

 

or maybe

Washington Medicinemen

Washington Tomahawks

 

Washington Warriors

I love when teams are named after local tribes in the area so long as the tribes are cool with their name being appropriated.

  • Author
I love when teams are named after local tribes in the area so long as the tribes are cool with their name being appropriated.

I looked yesterday, there are no Federally recognized Tribes in Virginia or Maryland...I had the same idea.

I looked yesterday, there are no Federally recognized Tribes in Virginia or Maryland...I had the same idea.

 

I really miss the North Dakota Fighting Sioux. One of the best names and logos in college sports but... there you have it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.