Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Exonerated Inmates

Featured Replies

Do you think the federal government should require all 50 states to give compensation to exonerated inmates ? Should they be required to provide services such as job placement and college tuition ?

  • Replies 33
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think the federal government should require all 50 states to give compensation to exonerated inmates ? Should they be required to provide services such as job placement and college tuition ?

 

Without question.

  • Author
Without question.

 

I had to do a paper on it for my masters degree. Interesting after doing research and finding out how poor these people's lives are, after they get out of jail for a crime they didn't commit.

I had to do a paper on it for my masters degree. Interesting after doing research and finding out how poor these people's lives are, after they get out of jail for a crime they didn't commit.

 

Depending on how malicious the prosecution was, the state should restore them to where they would have progressed financially, AND pay punitives.

Seems like a GI Bill-type program might be good for a situation such as this.

  • Author
Depending on how malicious the prosecution was, the state should restore them to where they would have progressed financially, AND pay punitives.

 

I suggested that the formula for repay should be National average salary x number of years in prison, and also services such as job placement and 4 year tuition.

Garnish the prosecutors' salaries to help defray these costs.

Do you think the federal government should require all 50 states to give compensation to exonerated inmates? Should they be required to provide services such as job placement and college tuition?

 

Absolutely. I was unaware of the fact that there are multiple states that essentially do nothing once inmates are exonerated apart from giving them an official, "Ooops....our bad" until watching the documentary

. It's an eye opening movie.

 

I think the job placement and college tuition need to be absolute MUSTS. Considering how much government funded housing there is out there, I don't think dropping $250,000 on a house is out of order either.

Obviously compensation needs to be granted. Not sure how to formulate it as I would have different methods depending on whether it could and should have been prevented.

Absolutely. Those people should be compensated, be placed in an equal or greater job than they may have had before, and I'd even go as far as saying providing some sort of housing expense for a period of time.

I suggested that the formula for repay should be National average salary x number of years in prison, and also services such as job placement and 4 year tuition.

 

I have a friend whose father broke his back (many years ago) in a building collapse that occurred while he was working as a professional firefighter in Covington, KY. He wasn't paralyzed, but the injury forced him to retire from the fire department. One of the benefits offered to him by the state was that his children all received full reimbursement for tuition to any state college. I can't see how it wouldn't be MORE than reasonable to offer the same to exonerated prisoners.

Garnish the prosecutors' salaries to help defray these costs.

 

I would think the defense attorneys would be partially responsible for not properly presenting the case?

I would think the defense attorneys would be partially responsible for not properly presenting the case?

 

I am not sure about garnishing the prosecutor assuming he/she didn't do anything unethical to get the conviction.

 

Holding the defense attorney accountable could have ripple affects. If you start seeing defense attorneys being held accountable, I could see other defense attorneys consider leaving that field for another legal field to avoid the risk and future attorneys avoid the field all together leading to a day where we simply do not have enough defense attorneys.

How could the government force someone to hire them? Let alone give them a better job than they had prior to going to jail.

How could the government force someone to hire them? Let alone give them a better job than they had prior to going to jail.

 

So if the government completely ruined your life with false accusations and charges, you wouldn't expect to be made whole?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.