Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Barry Rohrssen to UK?

Featured Replies

I don't scout kids that young, so you might be right for once... :lol2:

One of our kids was talking about a kid named Mufasa, like the lion king. Classic.

 

and I'm always right. It's what I do.

  • Replies 43
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why he's a good match for UK? As you said, he's a really really good recruiter.

 

I'm asking why does he have a reputation for being a great recruiter?

I'm asking why does he have a reputation for being a great recruiter?

 

Because he's good at it? I'm not sure what you're looking for?

 

I'm asking why does he have a reputation for being a great recruiter?

 

Because really talented kids like him???

Because he's good at it? I'm not sure what you're looking for?

 

Because really talented kids like him???

 

Are you all serious? Who has he recruited that has given him that reputation? You know, players that commited to play somewhere because he recruited them....

I could take the job at UK as him and be a top 3 recruiting assistant year n year out. Slice is a great recruiter,, putting him at UK? We won't miss a beat. He hasn't been officially hired yet because of a loop hole with recruiting. This past weekend was all the contact coaches could make. Slice is nothing more than a booster right now as far as NCAA is concerned. He can watch as much of the players the next few weeks as me or you.

Are you all serious? Who has he recruited that has given him that reputation? You know' date=' players that commited to play somewhere because he recruited them....[/quote']

 

I don't know if he got DeJuan Blair or not but I don't remember many first rounders from Pitt recently... Maybe he is great salesman that Cal will get over the hump.

I don't know if he got DeJuan Blair or not but I don't remember many first rounders from Pitt recently... Maybe he is great salesman that Cal will get over the hump.

 

Blair, LeVance Fields, Sam Young to name a few...

GT: Can he take UK recruiting to the next level :)

GT: Can he take UK recruiting to the next level :)

 

He's not allowed to sign NBA guys... :D

I don't know if he got DeJuan Blair or not but I don't remember many first rounders from Pitt recently... Maybe he is great salesman that Cal will get over the hump.

 

Yeah I mean I've heard good things. I was just trying to be educated on some guys he had recruited that were considered good recruits and/or great finds. Not sure why my question was taking in such a sarcastic tone but I'm sure he will be a great hire, all the other assistants for Cal have been.

From another site- Slice to UK confirmed. After hitting the recruiting trail independently (in UK gear) for a few weeks, Barry “Slice” Rohrssen officially became Orlando Antigua’s replacement on the Kentucky bench today. UK made it official with a press release naming him John Calipari’s new assistant coach.

 

“It’s an honor to be part of a program that has the greatest tradition in the history of college basketball,” Rohrssen said in the release. “I was humbled when John Calipari asked me to become a member of his outstanding staff. Coach Cal embodies the meaning of the word ‘success.’ The way he prepares young men for their future, in both basketball and life, is remarkable. Additionally, I’m grateful to represent the most passionate fan base in sports, the Big Blue Nation.”

 

Coach Cal had this to say: “Barry has been part of my coaching family for the past 30-some years. We roomed together at Five Star as counselors, still in college, and have followed each others’ careers on the court closely. I’m thrilled with what he brings to our staff, both on court and off, in terms of coaching, recruiting and mentoring these young men.”

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

 

UK MEDIA RELATIONS

 

May 1, 2014

 

 

 

Rohrssen Joins Men’s Basketball Staff

 

Calipari completes coaching staff

 

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Barry Rohrssen has joined the UK men's basketball coaching staff as an assistant coach, head coach John Calipari announced Thursday.

 

 

 

Rohrssen comes to Lexington after serving as an assistant at the University of Pittsburgh in the 2013-14 season, his second stint at Pitt.

 

 

 

“It’s an honor to be part of a program that has the greatest tradition in the history of college basketball,” Rohrssen said. “I was humbled when John Calipari asked me to become a member of his outstanding staff. Coach Cal embodies the meaning of the word ‘success.’ The way he prepares young men for their future, in both basketball and life, is remarkable. Additionally, I’m grateful to represent the most passionate fan base in sports, the Big Blue Nation.”

 

 

 

Rohrssen initially came to Pittsburgh in 1999 as a part of head coach Ben Howland’s staff. Upon Jamie Dixon’s hiring in 2003, Rohrssen remained in that position, through the 2006 season. This season, he helped lead the Panthers to their second consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance and 12th appearance in the last 13 seasons.

 

 

 

“Barry has been part of my coaching family for the past 30-some years. We roomed together at Five Star as counselors, still in college, and have followed each others’ careers on the court closely,” Calipari said. “I’m thrilled with what he brings to our staff, both on court and off, in terms of coaching, recruiting and mentoring these young men.”

 

During a five-year period of his first stint at Pitt, he helped guide the Panthers to a 133-33 overall record (.801 winning percentage), a 59-21 Big East regular-season record (.738 winning percentage), four Big East championships (three regular season), three NCAA Sweet 16 berths and five consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances. In addition, Pitt won its first-ever Big East Tournament title in 2003. At Pitt, he served in three different capacities including the associate head coach under Dixon from 2004-06, assistant coach (2001-04) and director of operations (1999-2001).

 

Rohrssen has over 19 years of major college coaching experience. He became the 22nd head coach at Manhattan College on April 25, 2006, a position he held for five seasons from 2006-11. His best season came in 2008-09 when he guided the Jaspers to a 16-14 overall record and fourth-place finish in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference with a 9-9 league slate. Many of the players he recruited earned a postseason berth and won 21 games in 2011-12. Rohrssen improved academic progress ratings at Manhattan as he graduated every player that stayed for four years and dramatically improved the school's basketball NCAA Academic Progress Rate.

 

During the 2012-13 season Rohrssen was hired by the Portland Trailblazers organization to assist their NBA Development League club, the Idaho Stampede.

 

Prior to his first stint at Pitt, Rohrssen served as the school's director of operations at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas from 1995-99 under head coach Bill Bayno. While at UNLV, the program experienced a resurgence as the Runnin' Rebels captured the 1998 Western Athletic Conference Tournament championship and advanced to postseason play in three of his four years. Rohrssen's duties included serving as a liaison to the athletic administration and other school officials, coordination of student-athletes' game, practice and daily schedules, as well as serving as UNLV's director of summer basketball camps.

 

Rohrssen also has extensive international coaching experience. In both 1991 and 1992, Rohrssen represented the United States at the World International Championships in both Poland and England, respectively. He also co-coached an American All-Star team in 1998 that finished 5-0 in Tahiti. In 2000, he also served as an assistant coach with a USA Junior Team that competed at an international tournament in Leon, Spain. Later that summer, Rohrssen helped lead a New York City squad to a gold medal title at the 2000 Empire State Games.

 

He played in the Catholic High School Athletic Association at Xavieran High School in Brooklyn and is a member of the school's Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.