Your kid and my kid are not playing in the pros

theguru

None of that does anything to change the fact that he's painting with a wide brush. The families and people he is describing are the minority, by far.

I disagree with the "by far" part. It may be the minority but it isn't by far the minority.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with the "by far" part. It may be the minority but it isn't by far the minority.

If we are talking about kids/parents/families who turn out worse because of playing sports, then yes, I believe it is by far... JMO.

He wrote an opinion article... If the numbers are that high, where are his facts to back it up?

I'm not sure it's something you could actually have hard numbers to back up. To turn it around, you said it was by far the minority, do you have facts to back that up?

I don't expect you do and I respect your opinion and you could very well be right. However everything this guy as said applies to someone (actually multiple people) I know. Some are actually friends but most are the "idiot" parent you see at the ball field.

If we are talking about kids/parents/families who turn out worse because of playing sports, then yes, I believe it is by far... JMO.

I don't think they turned out worse because of the sports, I think the sports brought out the worst in them. They lost sight in the pursuit to see that little Johnny was the next ARod.

None of that does anything to change the fact that he's painting with a wide brush. The families and people he is describing are the minority, by far.

You are killing me today Deuce.

I am debunking the he has no kids or experience myth.

To add more depth, the Doc and I exchanged a little more email (some private stuff) but in short he has three children that all are in the middle of successful high school and college athletic careers. And the good Doctor is a competitive boxer of all things. The points I am making is the Doc is not some geek and he has plenty of parenting/athletics experience.

Not for nothing, and this guy has already received more of our attention than he deserves, but he said in a post to a comment off of his article that his kids play intramural sports. Interesting that the story has changed in his comment to you.

I'm not sure it's something you could actually have hard numbers to back up. To turn it around, you said it was by far the minority, do you have facts to back that up?

I don't expect you do and I respect your opinion and you could very well be right. However everything this guy as said applies to someone (actually multiple people) I know. Some are actually friends but most are the "idiot" parent you see at the ball field.

My point was that he claims to have so many people coming to him praising him for the article and backing up what he thinks. My question was where were those people when he was writing the article? You're right, I'm not sure it is a measurable thing, unless you survey all families who play sports.

I don't have "numbers" to back up me saying that it is the minority, but I'm also not the one writing an article claiming that all families that don't play sports aren't raising their children right. I have been in sports my whole life, and known many people who lived the same lifestyle. I can think of maybe a handful of people that would fit what the author is describing, and that would be less than 5% of of the people I've come across because of sports.

Yours just happened to be the last post. The only other two I noticed called him a moron were fkyw and Crash. I'm not sure if Crash was calling him a moron because of his hat choice or the article. Not sure why fkyw thinks he is a moron.

And I disagree that he is making broad generalizations. I think what he says applies to a much larger percentage of the population then some of you want to admit. If it doesn't apply to you then that's awesome but to say he's a moron or has major issues because you disagree is ridiculous. Make and intelligent counter argument if you don't agree. To just say he is wrong and a moron is an immature response.

I completely agree with what he says. Does it apply to 100%, absolutely not. Does it apply to 50%, possibly.

100% hat choice. He's clearly not a moron.

Not for nothing, and this guy has already received more of our attention than he deserves, but he said in a post to a comment off of his article that his kids play intramural sports. Interesting that the story has changed in his comment to you.

Without reading the comment maybe the point is his kids played those intramural sports and then went on to great things. I get the impression he really doesn't want to brag about his own kids or accomplishments (which is why I said the discussion was private). At at the end of the day, I am just the messenger, you either buy into my "judgment" of him or you don't, either is fine with me, but you do have my honest opinion.

I don't think they turned out worse because of the sports, I think the sports brought out the worst in them. They lost sight in the pursuit to see that little Johnny was the next ARod.

I don't deny that's possible at all. Everyone has seen it happen. I still think it the minority. You could pretty much pick any profession or trade and find instances where it brought the worst out in people.

Yours just happened to be the last post. The only other two I noticed called him a moron were fkyw and Crash. I'm not sure if Crash was calling him a moron because of his hat choice or the article. Not sure why fkyw thinks he is a moron.

And I disagree that he is making broad generalizations. I think what he says applies to a much larger percentage of the population then some of you want to admit. If it doesn't apply to you then that's awesome but to say he's a moron or has major issues because you disagree is ridiculous. Make and intelligent counter argument if you don't agree. To just say he is wrong and a moron is an immature response.

I completely agree with what he says. Does it apply to 100%, absolutely not. Does it apply to 50%, possibly.

He's not making broad generalizations? In what universe? He's calling out parents who's children actively participate in sports as bad parents, and assigning the blame of poor family dynamics on sports. He furthers the absurdity by claiming those who play these sports are somehow not well trained to function in society after their playing days.

What about the parents who work 70+ hours, and see their children about 10 hours a week? I guess they're family dynamic puts those in sports families to shame. There are a ton of things that lead to the issues he mentions, and to assign the blame on sports is not just ridiculous, it's ignorant on a massive scale. What he mentions probably occurs maybe 5% of the time.

To further illustrate how ignorant his claims are, I played multiple sports all through grade school, played on a traveling baseball team, AAU basketball, etc. My older and younger brothers did the same. My older brother is a marketing executive for a very reputable company, I've got a successful career as a public accountant, and my younger brother just accepted an offer to enroll in a doctoral program for economics from a top 10 school in the country, and he's getting paid nearly $45k a year to do it. My older brother and I talk to our parents at least a half dozen times a week, and visit/hang out with them at least once a week, usually more. We talk about everything under the sun with them, including sports. All three of us have fantastic relationships with our parents and each other, and all our friends are the same way. But yeah, kids playing sports are the root of family dysfunction. :rolleyes:

He's not making broad generalizations? In what universe? He's calling out parents who's children actively participate in sports as bad parents, and assigning the blame of poor family dynamics on sports. He furthers the absurdity by claiming those who play these sports are somehow not well trained to function in society after their playing days.

What about the parents who work 70+ hours, and see their children about 10 hours a week? I guess they're family dynamic puts those in sports families to shame. There are a ton of things that lead to the issues he mentions, and to assign the blame on sports is not just ridiculous, it's ignorant on a massive scale. What he mentions probably occurs maybe 5% of the time.

To further illustrate how ignorant his claims are, I played multiple sports all through grade school, played on a traveling baseball team, AAU basketball, etc. My older and younger brothers did the same. My older brother is a marketing executive for a very reputable company, I've got a successful career as a public accountant, and my younger brother just accepted an offer to enroll in a doctoral program for economics from a top 10 school in the country, and he's getting paid nearly $45k a year to do it. My older brother and I talk to our parents at least a half dozen times a week, and visit/hang out with them at least once a week, usually more. We talk about everything under the sun with them, including sports. All three of us have fantastic relationships with our parents and each other, and all our friends are the same way. But yeah, kids playing sports are the root of family dysfunction. :rolleyes:

You're pretty well rounded. Shame your baseball acumen is so poor.:jump:

I played two years of baseball when I was 8 or 9, played again for 3 years during Babe Ruth age, played 1 year of soccer when I was like 8, played football my 7th and 9th grade years. Never played on an all star or travel team for anything. I have a very good job as an account rep. I talk to my parents a few times a week and normally see them at least once a week.

You history doesn't disprove what he said any more then mine proves what he said.